26 days to activate windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by resa05, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

I just bought this computer and I have XP SP2 and it tells me everyday to activate. The guy I bought this rebuilt computer from says it requires a "special" code, in which he has.
    Is that all I need to activate windows? And if the "code" is put in, does that mean I will not have to pay for this version of windows?

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hello!
    The "Special Code" He is referring to is the activation product key. This is a unique number that is used to register your copy of XP with Microsoft. If you do not enter this key by the end of the 30 days, XP will be deactivated. With XP, you can't use the same code (legally) on multiple computers because it is registered with MS when you enter it. If the code he has is the one that goes with that installation, then just enter that one and you will be set. If he, for some reason, used that same installation on a seperate computer and activated it with that same code, then you will have problems trying to register.

Did you pay for that copy of XP? Or, is this a pre-built pc you bought from someone else?

3. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

What happens if that "code" has been registered already? I will not be able to use my computer?
    Thank You :)

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It will not activate if the code has been used on another PC and you will lose control of your PC after the 30 day limit is over. After that the only thing you can do is buy a new copy of Windows XP.

5. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

How much does XP cost?

6. Firecat

Windows XP Home Edition:

Upgrade from older Windows - US Dollars 99

Full Pack - US Dollars 199

You can probably get an OEM pack for USD 120 or so...but beware - OEM packs are only supported by the reseller, Microsoft will not offer free support. All issues should be forwarded to your reseller.

7. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

If needed to buy the pack. What would you reccommend?
    Thank You.

8. Firecat

Which pack - the OEM or the full?

9. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

Well I don't know about "packs" or computers as much as I should these days. I was hopeing maybe you would be much better at that sort of thing than I. If you KNOW which one I should get, if I need it please tell me :)
    THanks

10. Firecat

Well I recommend you try searching for an OEM edition - And get it from a good reseller which has a good tech group.

Otherwise, get the upgrade pack - thats not bad either. If you do not have an older version of Windows with a valid CDKey, then you'll have to buy the OEM or full pack.

OEM packs cannot be used to upgrade an older version of Windows.

11. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Thanks FireCat for taking over the replies. I got busy with work and couldn't reply after my first post.

It costs more but to people who don't know much about computers and are a little cautious about relying on outside sources, I recommend just buying the full version or upgrade. That way you get the support from MS and you have your own product key code to use.

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I suggest you take that up with the guy you bought the re-built computer from....making all these questions of costs, version, OEM, IBM, NBA....premature.

13. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

I think I'm finished useing this thread...Thanks for all the helpful info you guys.

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

After this guy "comes back in town"....if you have further activation problems....Please feel free to start another thread.

At your request....we'll now close this thread.

Regards,
    Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.