2012 Beta problem

Discussion in 'Returnil Betas' started by 1000db, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

So far in using the 2012 beta I've had the following issues:

1. There seems to be no way to make an exception for a new program even when the partition is not sandboxed. For example, I disabled the sandbox protection and then tried to install Panda cloud AV 2.0 and the anti-execute feature of RSS kept displaying messages that it was blocking drivers.

2. I'm sure its been mentioned before but there needs to be a custom install feature that allows the user to install RSS without the internal AV. This would make RSS more marketable to users who already have an AV product. RSS could check the AV status from the Windows Security status and display the system is protected by product xyz.

3. Have some sort of way to display when a user is in sandbox or snapshot mode while using windows protected. Its easy to forget that you are in sandbox mode and then try to install something you actually wanted; only to have it disappear upon the next reboot. This is fine for malware but not legitimate software.

4. It seems more important to have a system protection summary on the main window instead of community and settings. These functions already have links on the top so it's kind of redundant to have buttons for them too. This space could be used to show the protection summary information such as: partitions protected with the type of protection selected (sandbox, snapshot), last few events, update status, license status, etc.

5. When RSS displays a blocking message, the read more link on the bottom left of the message doesn't do anything except close the window.

6. I like that RSS tries to be easy to use for the average user, but it needs to have an advanced mode for other users too. I would guess that a large portion of Returnil users are more advanced than the average AV user. I have no proof of that; its just speculation.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,

1. Did you have the Sandbox active for the system active? If yes, this would cause the A-E to still be active and could block installs.

2. The Virus Guard is designed to be compatible with most 1st and 2nd tier AVs, can be deactivated in the preferences, and there are other versions sans the VG for those who do not want the extra AM capability.

3. This is a known issue in the current beta and should be fixed in the next build.

4. Flagged to the development team...

5. This is a known issue in the current beta and should be fixed in the next build.

6. Can you describe what you see as needed for an advanced display?

Mike

3. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

No, I had protection as disabled as I could without uninstalling RSS. Thats good to hear that I could purchase RSS without the AV since I have a current license with another vendor. I'll respond later with what I think would consist of an advanced interface.

P.S. Love the Returnil support; another reason to use the product.

4. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I put my C: drive into sandbox mode and then proceeded to run a few malware samples (10+-) to see how RSS responds when it encounters malware. RSS responded accordingly either blocking the file upon av detection or stopping the execution via AE. However, when I reboot the downloaded files disappear as they should but RSS still gives me prompts saying that it detects those malicious files.

It would be helpful if RSS had the option to automatically deal with detected threats rather than requiring me to click on the message box for everything.

5. Coldmoon

Noted - feedback flagged to development

Mike

6. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

What's the latest with the beta? I was considering buying a license but things seem to have gotten very quiet.

7. Coldmoon

Hi buckslayr,
    We are still collecting feedback and the team continues with development. We are also working to bring a new product to beta which we plan to start limited testing with in the near future which has delayed a new beta build for RSS 2012. I will have more to say on the new product as we get closer to the fist betas but will say that it is being developed in response to frequent and consistent feedback asking for an option that is closer to our roots and focuses closely on strict sandboxing and recovery.

Mike

8. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. If I buy a home license now will I be able to use it on the new product? Or should I wait?

9. Coldmoon

Licensing is product specific. EX's:

RSS 2010 > RSS 2011 > RSS 2012...

RVS 2010 Home Classic > RVS Pro 2011 > ...

This will be the same for the new product which will be in its own upgrade path after final release.

Mike

10. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Any update on a release for the new Returnil or any upcoming promotions?;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.