2011 Free not installing in Asus EEEpc

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by karad, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karad

karad Registered Member

I bought an Asus EEEpc ,Intel N570 dual core,250 GB HD,1 GB ram and,as a last but necessary thing I tried to install the latest,just downloaded, Returnil Free from Majorgeeks, but it does not install as

'core kernel could not be loaded'

at first I made a new download and a new install,no joy,same result.

In all these years this is the first time Returnil will not smoothly install on any kind of computers,so I'm wondering.....are there any problems with this
    Atom processor or what?
    Anybody else suffered same trouble?

I may add I've heavily decrapified the small creature in order to have a normal consumption of 500k (1Gig installed) without Returnil.
    I was careful,though,not to interfere with the system.

Also, I run Comodo firewall,AV,sandbox,Defense+ which I exhited from at second attempt to install Returnil.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    Did the install create any log files? Check in the following directory for the rvs3.log and rvs3.inst.log:

C:\ProgramData\Returnil\RVS3\log

1. Do they exist?
    2. If yes, please send them and a MSINFO32 report to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com so the QC team can take a closer look at what is happening.

Mike

3. karad

karad Registered Member

Thank you for answering Coldmoon, the problem is I just deployed a previous image taken before installing Returnil, so ,at the moment ,I'm
    unable to send anything.

I think that if at least ONE person will reply stating they could install and use latest Returnil2011 Free in my type of netbook (EEEpc,N570 dual core, Hitachi 250G HD) I'm going to make a last attempt.
    In this instance I'd be able,if it fails again, to send all data required.

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

The type of processor should not be an issue; rather I am more suspicious of a scenario where you might have too many concurrent security applications running and one or more of them are blocking the install.

To investigate this however, we need to look at the logs which can give us a better insight into the overall issue and provide some feedback or to open a bug report ticket as appropriate to the results.

As you have a restore image that works well in restoring the system to the state it was in prior to this incident, it would not seem to onerous to try the entire exercise again to obtain the logs as described for further study. If there IS an issue with Atom based systems, we need to know about it so we can work towards a solution.

Thanks
    Mike

5. karad

karad Registered Member

Dear Coldmoon, I am very pleased to tell you that, almost inexplicably, this third time Returnil installed very smoothly and very well!

I have no explanation to offer as i did exactly the same things as before.

The Comodo IS suite of programs and Returnil worked together very well for years,for me, and never prevented a R. install. Moreover, I always disable Sandbox and AV and put Defense+ on Training before attempting install.
    (True, in one computer of mine I had to completely uninstall Comodos in order to perform W7 SP1,but this was the only instance it happened)

I realise now, after two reboots from install with complete verification Returnil works fine in Virtual state and all scans performed, that there might be a marginal problem insofar daily Updates couldnt be done on account of network connection failure (which is not true),but this could be a temporary autosolving problem. If not ,I'll ask you how to fix it.
    Thanks again,
    karad

6. karad

karad Registered Member

Just a brief post which might interest Coldmoon and netbook owners in general:
    first of all,no problem with Returnil updates,they update ok and Returnil install was perfect.

A few days ago I began reading Kevin McAlivealy articles about security in the past 30 years and I was very glad to notice he stresses the quality and necessity of Returnil for enhanced security,while he does not spare ciriticism to any antivirus.
    I often tried to go with Returnil as sole security program -always on-with a few old computers belonging to friends,

so I uninstalled comodo IS completely,substituting it with just Comodo Antivirus,but on demand, and not starting with Windows,so it does not affect resources.

I then downloaded and installed Sandboxie free, creating a few sandboxies to suit my different networking needs.

I rely now for this computer on just Returnil and Sandboxie together.

After a week usage i think they can cohabit fine,no hassles whatsoever and resources consumption are much less than with standard suites, which means a faster netbook.

I plan to use antivirus and superantispyware on demand once in a while,just to be sure, and i feel very happy for the found combination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.