2 PowerShadows?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by trjam, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

2. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

The powershadow that I and many others downloaded a while ago was from powershadow.com and the company was Ensurebit. This is the first time I saw the second link. The program seems almost identical based on the screenshots, but the version being offered is 2.6. Ensurebit's version is 3.0. And no, neither one seems to be Vista compatible.

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, seeing the double ? twin? or clone?

The first one is connecting to the source--china-the Developer.
    The second one? a us address, set up after PS's originator pulled out from US market, and released PS 2.6's reg code publicly. Spin-off ?

The two, the relationship between them, how true, how well, is any one's guess. Because neither of them EVER participate in Wilders' party, even are invited.

Perhaps an email to either one of them can solve year-old mystery ?

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Great product, in my opinion. The only reason I no longer have 2.6 is because I kept getting a notice that evaluation period had ended. Even removing it and reinstalling with the license number, I got the same notice.

So, sadly, gone from my computer and I use Returnil now. Those who have PS running correctly, or who were brighter than me and turned off the call home feature, I'd say keep and enjoy its protection.

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Ya know i haven't worried about blocking PS's outbound connections for a while now and my v2.82 is still working fine. Haven't blocked 2.6 on my test system either and its still working fine. Its still mystery as to why you had your expiration issue.

6. Chuck57

farmerlee, I just don't know what happened. I'm beginning to think I'm the ONLY one who had it happen. Maybe it's payback for being the guy who discovered it, :doubt:

7. timriley

timriley Registered Member

Hey, you aren't the only one experiencing that! I thought I was the only one! Powershadow 2.6 started giving me 'expired license' messages just last week even though I have a valid license. I tried uninstalling/installing and no go. Even tried older versions and no go. Resetting bios date didn't help. Can't find the registry items where it must be hiding installation info so I gave up. That's when I tried the Pshadow3 (chinese) without realizing it was a different partner's offer... the chinese version messed up things (couldn't get in/past the default shadow bootup). I may look at upgrading to the English PShadow3 once things are tuned up a bit... since it's from technicaly a different partner/build, I think the expiry notice from 2.6 won't affect it...

8. Chuck57

Sorry to hear it timriley. It's a good program. You might check the free Returnil if you haven't already. It's my new best friend on this computer.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I yet to experience that problem oddly enough but if i do no matter anyway, Returnil is proving more than enough to fill in for that loss. :thumb:

10. Chuck57

I like Returnil. It's my new best buddy. In fact, Returnil might be better than PS, since it's newer and maybe has a few tweaks that PS 2.6 didn't have. I don't know.

In any case, Returnil goes on right after my AV update and stays on throughout the day. Today I added OnlineArmor just to see what all the fuss was about.

With Returnil and OnlineArmor I notice no difference in speed than when just running my AV before I installed them. Between the 3, too, I figure I'm as well protected as I can get as a very safe surfer who avoids the dark areas of the net.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am running Nod, might as well since I have the licences and it passes all the tests, and Returnil and my PC is the fastest it has ever been. Secure to. Funny how some us can be swayed about an AV. Eset 2.7 is great and I have no concern about 3.0. Avira didnt like Returnil, so sorry Avira.:cautious:

12. Chuck57

I'm using AVG free right now. Had Blink aboard for a long time, but the combination I have now is noticably faster. I know I'll keep Returnil. Online Armor, after only a few hours is performing nicely and might stay. AVG, with me antivirus comes and goes.

13. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hey Chuck57 how's it going? One question. How safe is Returnil to use? I have some documents I wouldn't want anything to happen to, and wasn't sure if Returnil would have any effect on Documents and Settings, and My Documents. I'm currently running ZoneAlarm Anti-spyware and Avast on Windows XP. I know you have to reboot with Returnil and it worries me I may be writing something in one of my Corel Word Perfect Documents and lose it by forgetting I had Returnil on and then rebooting later that evening after a surfing session. Does this make sense or am I way off here? Thanks and take care.

14. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi Wordward, When you have Returnil's protection on, a reboot will restore all changes made to the system partition only. Most commonly it's the C: partition where Windows and possibly your programs are installed. Since it only protects the system partition, you can save data to other partitions if you have them (D:, E: etc.) or in the 'Virtual Partition' if you created it when installing Returnil.

When Returnil's protection is on, the normally green Returnil icon is red. You can manually save your documents to your alternative partition or the VP. You can also configure Corel to save all documents created to the other partitions. Don't ask me how to do that LOL. It's probably easier that you think.

I personally use Returnil on-demand by turning on the Session Lock. That way I can boot into windows, update my anti-whatevers, then turn protection on. After protection is on, anything created from that point on will be toast after I reboot. I also created a VP in case I download something I want to keep. I may later setup an alternative data partition so I don't have to use the VP and use Returnil mostly full-time. I hope this helps.

Take care,
    innerpeace

15. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hey innerpeace good to hear from you. I shouldn't even be in here, but the addiction to be is a strong one. LOL. Thanks and i see what you're saying. I will wait until my books finished to play around with these types of programs, and Returnil looks good. Now to finish that book. LOL. Take care and thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.