2 (and a bit) Questions about firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AnthonyG, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi, as you might see by the questions i am just getting to grips with firefox and wanting to know its feauturs.

I was a loyal plain mozilla user for four months and on the ninth i thought i would try the new version 1 of firefox and i now wish to keep this as my main browser.

But i still have a few questions. So firstly is there any way to save and (then load in) your profiles with all your preferences, bookmarks, passwords etc like you can with mozilla as i normally like to do a full system restore every few months and i hate to loose everything in my browser.

Second question, is there a password manager section with all your passwords in like there is in mozilla (and if so where is it located?)

And the bit, do you know by any chance if there is a way i can export my password list from my mozila password manager and upload them into firefox as it will save me a lot of time and hassle.

Thank you very much for your help

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Attached Files:

4. Galcoolest

Galcoolest Registered Member

I moved my links (favorites) from IE over to Firefox by clicking file, export, navigating to the Bookmarks folder of FF and clicking GO. From Mozilla to FF it's even simpler, and just follow the already supplied above.

NB.
    One weird thing I have learned about FF is that the default "Links" folder on the sidebar bookmarks list contains the links that are sitting up on one of your top toolbars as quick launch buttons.

For instance, if you want to have "www.sexiscoolbutineedmore.com" on your toolbar up top, you drag it up there and then you'll see that it's also now listed in the Links folder below. Likewise, if you drag a hyperlink up the sidebar bookmarks list and plop it in the "Links" folder, it will appear as a button up top.

Not sure if Mozilla did that, but I finally figured that out about FF.
    But I didn't yet bother to figure out if my proverbial website exists anywhere, lol.
    *puppy*

5. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Yes. I assuming you are using Firefox 1.0 . TUnder tools, options, privacy, saved passwords ,view saved password words.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#migration

6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

OMG thank you i just wanted to say you guys are amazing. Its been about 20 minutes since i made the post with three (i thought) complex problems in, and 20 minutes later with your help all three are sorted.

Also thats a fantastic program that mozilla backup program, those guys have literally thought of everything havent they.

Thanks

7. Firefoxguy

Firefoxguy Guest

I'm not too impressed by the mozilla backup program, since it doesn't really allow you to completely recover if your profile is messed up, it gets the homepage, passwords ,permissions etc true, but it doesn't backup the extensions since it doesn't get the chrome subfolders.

Easiest is still to backup everything in the given profile directory so that if anything goes wrong you just replace it with the old saved profile.

I always do this before installing a new extension or upgrading a particularly troublesome extensions (TBE for example).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.