2.50.19 and Scheduled Task Problems

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Hexaguano, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hexaguano

Hexaguano Registered Member

Update

I have uninstalled/reinstalled .19 several times since the last post. In each case, the Daily Scheduled task would trigger once and only once. Thereafter it would not run on its own but would run using "Run now". All other scheduled task time variants seem to work fine (weekly, hourly, event triggered, etc). Before the .16 to .19 upgrade, the Daily scheduled tasks worked fine. Bandicoot supplied me with the .16 version to see if it would still work. I uninstalled the .19 version, rebooted, deleted the Eset folder, searched the registry for stray entries (none were found) and installed the previous version. Now it too would not run a Daily scheduled task more than once.

Since I have two computers and two licenses, I went ahead and upgraded the other box from .16 to .19 (clean install) just to see what would happen. Like the other machine, up until this point it has been happily running a Daily scheduled full system scan as outlined in Blackspears recommended settings. After the upgrade, same problem as the other machine. The Daily task would run once then no more. All other tasks including Weekly with every day checked run fine.

PC specs:

Machine #1 (where problem was initially noted)
    XP Pro SP2 fully patched
    AMD 900 MHz 512Mb
    Geforce4 Ti4600 running 71.89 Detonators

Machine #2
    XP Home SP2 fully patched
    P4 2.4MHz 1Gb
    ATI 9800 Pro running 4.12 Cats

Initially, no one at Eset was experiencing this problem. But now, at least one laptop (Bandicoot's) is experiencing this same issue. Hopefully we will soon get to the bottom of this.

Although there haven't been any updates on the forum in over a week, a lot of "behind the scenes" activity has taken place. Thanks Bandicoot!

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Hexaguano, it is appreciated...

Cheers :D

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Perhaps this one of the reasons for the lack of an auto update from 2.50.16 to .19

4. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

I have good news and bad news to report.... :doubt:

My laptop didn't kick off with the scheduled task on Friday, Saturday and Sunday......boo! (Maybe a result of serious drinking session I had with him on Thursday. That laptop just doesn't know when to stop!) But then on Monday, Tuesday and today it's been behaving correctly. I've setup 3 Daily Tasks now and they all have run correctly. Also a Weekly Task with every day selected, just for the hell of it, again, no problems.

Problem is now I can't demonstrate the issue to the Eset developers. Hmmm...

I've been talking with Hexaguano every day about this issue, but unforntunately we seem to be back to square one.

We have received no other such queries about this problem at support@eset.com so it appears right now that poor old Hexaguano is the only user with this issue. Unless anyone else out there cares to offer their thoughts or experience with this.......?

Bandicoot. :doubt:

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Is it possible that as a daily task it doesn't run twice within a 24 hour period?
    Bandicoot says his now works fine - What if you do a 'Run Now'? Then does it miss it's next sceduled run time? And if you then just leave it instead of testing it, does it work properly the next day?

I've scheduled a daily 'run notepad' task, test ran it and then it failed to run at its set time only a few minutes later.
    Next I scheduled another new task like the last one, didn't test run it and then it worked fine at the scheduled time.

Is it the same for everyone else?

6. zashita

zashita Registered Member

I just tried too, same result, the task I ran to try was not launched, and the one i didn't try was launched correctly ...
    Good investigation, NOD32 user :)

7. Hexaguano

NOD32 User

Yes, this is what I have observed as well. But the first box that I noticed this on, failed to run for several days in a row without trying "Run Once". It is worth repeating again. Who knows, maybe something else caused that one to run afoul. I'll set up a daily task on each machine without testing it via "Run Once". Something simple like launch notepad.exe and see if it triggers more than one time. I'll report back in a few days with the results...

I wonder if Bandicoot can remember if he ran his daily tasks using "Run Once" on the 3 days that his failed to run.

Thanks for your help!

8. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

No, I didn't. Initially, I just setup one scheduled task for 8.30am. I used the 'Run now' context menu option just to see if it seemed OK, but I didn't select the 'Run once' option in the setup. Then last Sunday, I decided to setup 3 more tasks, did not check them at all, left everything alone and bingo: all 4 tasks kicked off at their respective times on Monday (and have done all this week).

Bandicoot.

9. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

This seems to be the common denominator. I've no problem with the 'Daily' task operating this way if thats what it is, just so long as I am aware of it :)

10. airweld

airweld Registered Member

My daily scan has quit also (ver. 2.50.16). works when you use the "run now" option. Have tried deleting and reinstalling the scheduled scan with no luck. Scott.

11. Hexaguano

I haven't touched "Run Now" and so far, both boxes have run a daily scheduled task without problems...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.