2.5 may be even faster?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by windstrings, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wattsvilleblues

wattsvilleblues Registered Member

My sincerest apologies Marcos, I for one like the interface and the control it allows. NOD32 is by far the finest program running on my computer (and about a dozen friends'). I only get time to look at a few posts on the forums so I'd no idea people had been "bashing" the interface.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

OK, no need to apologize. I merely wanted to point out the fact that it's been said numerous times that the program interface is going to be rebuilt from scratch in NOD32 3.0

3. wattsvilleblues

wattsvilleblues Registered Member

Instead of the NOD32 splash screen, can you guys have it so it's a pic of me giving the thumbs up beside a beer can of NOD?

4. rtso

rtso Guest

I would just like to offer a thought or two in this (now two-week-old) thread.

First of all, NOD32 is without question one of the best antivirus programs out there. Its scanning is good; its internal engineering is good; it's fast; its interface is straightforward.

With due respect to the moderators on this board, however, I think it is useless to discuss NOD32 if people are not allowed to compare it to its competition or be allowed to criticize NOD32 where appropriate as well as praise it. I'm referring to this:

And this:

We're trying to help people decide what to purchase, no? This is not simply an NOD32 love fest, is it?

~Mod note: moved the remaining portion of this AV comparison comments to a an appropriate Forum in it's Entirety....Bubba~
    My opinion of NOD32 vs other antiviruses

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2005
  5. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

~Mod note: moved the comments that were here to this thread in it's Entirety....Bubba~

anyway..... I"m responding to the comment of Marcos..
    This sound both exciting and scary!

what I mean is.. NOD is the best out there that I am aware of by far at this present time... I"m always nervous about tearing down the pillars and starting over because the new structure could be really really cool... or just another building with new maintainance issues?

I've seen programs change so much that they only create a new batch of bugs to deal with.
    Once we finally get something that is finally working near perfect.. they change the whole thing and the merri-go-round starts all over with all the new bugs and problems with user compatibilities and interfaces etc... I guess if that happens, we can always use the older version right? "as long as they don't force an update"

But nevertheless, if we get a new NOD with noticably better improvements over this one... that will be really exciting!
    There must be alot of pressure to not offend users who like and have gotten used to the old interface. It must be hard to keep the good "everybodys good" and throw out the bad "everybodys bad".
    No matter what you do... people don't like change at first unless its all for the good!... but my good may not be your good?

I guess they won't tell us much about it because they don't want a bunch of half baked squabbaling about things that don't exist yet in hopes to change the final product.... I think thats what beta testing is all about?

Anyway NOD has some good ideas and I trust them to a large degree. I too don't want multiple programs included if it means in any way that it will make NOD heavy and slow it down. I appreciate "alot!" that you can turn things full tilt to the max and it doesn't slow down. As long as they can maintain that... they can add what they want "as long as I can turn it off if I choose".

Keep us the good work!

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2005
  6. rtso

rtso Guest

I was responding directly to points raised on this exact thread. It's possible to overmoderate and ruin a board. I like NOD32 but this board is giving me a headache.

NOD32 does not exist in a vacuum! There is no point in talking about it as though it's the only program on earth.

I was responding to points like these:

In addition, some of the points I raised were about how NOD32 might evolve, which is directly relevant to a thread about a new version of NOD32. If this board is indeed simply a NOD32 lovefest, then it's pointless. I was trying to introduce a few facts, while still praising NOD32 as the best overall virus scanner out there. If that's not appropriate, this is a very weird place.

7. windstrings

Humm... funny .. touchy subject I guess since no one is replying?

I see both sides and think there is an optimum middle ground.
    We must use other products as comparisons since the public are familiar with those other products, it gives them a basis, or starting point to understand NOD in thier considerations for a purchase.

At the same time, it loses the spirit of good sportsmanship to dog a product and ride it into the ground, because instead of a NOD lovefest, it turns into a product X hatefest... which is worse.

I think as you pointed out with your "quote examples" we realize that the moderators do let a little slip by in the interest of good conversation.
    As long as we can be reasonably mature and not go crazy dogging a product, I think things go well.

But I too believe that if we are never allowed to mention product X in any fashion, it would take away the spirit of free competition and fair sportsmanship.

Most of the time, that doesn't happen here. But occasioally I think there are misunderstandings and some think others are implying more than they are. Forums are open to much misinterpretation and misunderstanding... and sometimes some get offended and hurt when no harm was meant.

But I do appreciate good comments that gender and provoke thought so we are not just following the pack or the frenzy, but using out God given brains to think for ourselves.

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Once again please forgive me as I point this out. This is the NOD32 support forum. Any and all comparisons are absolutely welcomed here in the "other AVs" forum section. This section we are posting in now is really more geared towards NOD32 support issues, while the "other AVs" section is about anything relating to AVs. Should an individual take the time to venture a peek and perhaps a search or two in that forum, they will see most issues/questions/comparisons hashed out multiple times. That is not to say that additional threads, etc are not welcome there but...

Well generally speaking I simply cannot understand why anyone sees it as an issue that this is the NOD32 support forum and comparisons etc belong in "other AVs." A little research will show this is how the entire forum operates - you will often find me moving comparisons of imagine software out of the True Image support forum and into "software&services."

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Something we do our darndest to try to achieve....speaking as a Wilders Global Moderator only....not as a Nod representative or a Nod Moderator.
    Moderation is all about making judgement calls. The points that have been raised....each involve someone making a judgement call....based on prior experience.

Our experience is that the continual revisiting of well-known issues(e.g. a GUI)....generally doesn't yield productive discourse. Various factions become polarized....the conversation degenerates....and the thread is closed to a number of unhappy posters. For this reason....we do try to limit discussion on topics which have been prone to continual airing. It is not unique to the NOD32 forum.

With respect to product comparisons....this is the most difficult type of call. Our aim is to keep this the NOD32 forum. In an intercomparison....advocates for other products may wish to open the discussion up to additional topics....which have been critical in their choice of product. That's not really the domain of this section of Wilders....but fits quite well into the other anti-virus software forum....where you will see discussions of NOD32 also presented. It is our effort to remain true to the focus of this forum....NOD32 support....and our desire to not stifle discussion that leads to the topical break that is being questioned.

Overall....I feel that it has resulted in an equitable disposition of desires for all. Discussion was allowed to continue....the scope was potentially opened beyond what was appropriate here....yet the current thread remained intact to proceed.

As noted at the beginning....it's a judgement call. We do not make these decisions lightly....and I'd hope you'ins would respect the thought that goes into these matters behind the scenes.

10. luvhirez

luvhirez Registered Member

152725 files in 974sec (16min14sec) 157files/sec
    on 1.8ghz 640mb ram
    not bad!

11. windstrings

I likes your thoughts Bubba!.....
    To be honest.. I've never peeked into the "other AV" section!

Prob cause I am very happy with NOD and don't have much interest in big hash out fights.
    But your right, when things get too polarized "was a good way of putting it", both parties either get offended, or leave with a sour taste in thier mouth.
    Its nice to have a nice forum where fights are not allowed beyond intensediscussion and folks do feel they are among friends. I know being among friends brings the risk of turning things into a NOD Love fest and all the "friends" can turn on and jump on a newcommer to the forum with a vengence if they bad mouth their interest! ---> So hence the job of the moderators!

I don't think anyone wants to offend the moderators because they respect the efforts you guys bring, yet they do get their toes stepped on and do feel de-valued if their discussion is stiffled without merit that can be communicated. It makes them feel they presented thier best thought and it was tossed. Most of the time I have seen offenses, its when the reason for the act of the moderator is not commnicated well.... its just done!.. like the ax fallling!
    We all get off the mark and very few really mind getting corrected if its done with respect.
    So like I said, thier is ALOT of room for misinterpretation here in the forums. I have found myself many times going back and editing out some of my comments that I realize may be misinterpreted.... and I feel I have fair communication skills.... most don't!

Anyway.. back to the topic! ......I wish I knew more about the guts of how NOD is so fast, but maybe thats best left a secret....
    I just like it!

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

This is a guess, and just a guess - take it with a grain of salt
    (or mouthfuls if you wish :D)

Maybe NOD32 effectively uses the processor-specific extensions, like HyperThreading, SSE, SSE2, MMX, 3DNow/3DNow Pro, etc....o_O

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Eset uses assembly language in NOD. Very speedy.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/assembly_language.html

14. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

15. Daje

Daje Registered Member

Faster?? Nope not at my machine! When i used version 2.0(?) it scanned my entire machine in 20-25 min. (160GB) Now, when i have installed 2.5 and tweaked it, the scan uses between 62 min and 70 min. I tweaked version 2.0 also. Anyone knows why it uses so much more time? o_O

The tweak i used for both version 2.0 and 2.5 is this:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

(sorry for my bad english)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.