2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz wifi

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Krusty, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I have a Netgear DGND3700v2 modem router and my laptop is only 2.4Ghz 802.11n capable but I have a Netgear AC1200 High Gain WIFI USB Adapter (A6210), which I can only connect to a USB 2.0 port. I'm wondering if I installed the WIFI adapter and used 5Ghz would I see any benefit over the laptop's 2.4Ghz receiver?

I am aware that 2.4Ghz offers a longer range and I live in a rural area so I don't suffer from interference. I've noticed with Window 7 my machine used both bands but with Windows 10 it seems to only use one at a time.

So, 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz via USB 2.0?

Thanks.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I would stick with the 2.4. The 5Ghz is potentially faster, but over distance it drops off really quickly. If you are not sitting directly in front of the router, it will be slower. And if you're not in the same room with it, forget it.

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I don't know how much faster it would be with my setup as my modem router is only capable of 300MB / S x2. Also, any speed difference would be limited to the speed of the USB 2.0 transfer speed.

I think you're right though, I will stick with 2.4Ghz. It is a shame that Win10 won't allow me to use both bands simultaneously like Win7 did though.

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

It depends !
    Some wireless devices support 2.4ghz better than 5ghz (age of device, driver support etc) and it depends on you specific location and room layout, experimentation is the only way to find out.
    I have some phones that work better on 2.4ghz than 5ghz. With my old WiFi router I had a terrible blackspot in one room in my house with 5ghz, yet with my newer router its 2.4ghz that has the black spot (and yes I double checked) - routers located in same place.

5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Probably a sound response to 90% of threads on this site.

6. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I just wanted to respond to this, as 5GHz has this short range reputation... but it is definitely not this bad. Undoubtedly the range at which you get a usable wireless signal is higher with 2.4 GHz than 5GHz all things being equal, but in common real world settings things are not equal. More household electronics use the 2.4GHz range, as do most neighboring routers. For example, scanning from my house at the moment, I can pick up 15 neighborhood 2.4GHz SSIDs but only 2 5GHz SSIDs (1 of which is mine in both cases)... and that's just known Wi-Fi sources and not including things like cordless phones or whatever. This massive additional interference on the 2.4GHz channels, in addition to the natively higher throughput potential on 5GHz, definitely tilts the calculus in favor of 5GHz in my personal situation.

Using a modern 802.11ac dual-band router, I can get a very usable signal quality of 32 dB on 5GHz at around 60-70 feet (18-20m) from my router, and this is through multiple walls and from first floor to second floor. And my 5GHz throughput is significantly better than my 2.4GHz throughput. So you definitely don't have to be in the same room, "sitting directly in front of the router" with 5GHz. It really depends upon your equipment and your environment. With my old 802.11b/g/n dual-band router I had trouble covering my entire 2-story house no matter which band I used. With my new router, I can cover it all and get better performance to boot (at least so far, knock on wood).

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Alec,

Thanks for your post. :thumb:

I have to agree with you in regards to 5GHz range. My experience with different devices has been as long as I'm within 10 or 15 metres (that's about 30 to 45 feet give or take), I've still been able to stream youtube videos, through walls and all.

As I've mentioned earlier, I live in a rural area so interference on the 2.4GHz band isn't really an issue, except perhaps my machine's mice. Unless I take a device outside the only networks available are my own.

Cheers!

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

You mileage may vary, but in my experience I gave up on the 5 GHz because it would drop and my phone would revert to cellular data. As with anything, use what works best for you. :thumb:

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

If the neighborhood is saturated, and you happen to be in the range of so many other 2.4GHz devices, you could try 5GHz.
    Mrk

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Mr kvonics,
    I don't know who your post is replying too so I guess it is just a general statement, thanks. If you were offering me advice you might like to re-read the earlier posts in this thread.

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

It was a general to-all reply.
    Mrk

12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.