2.0GHz of grunt.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AaLF, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

It's got 2.0GHz of grunt - or so it was seven years ago. Now time has past her by. But I still love her. I'm not much into games so she still alright by me. Or was. Until I installed IE7 etc.

Now start up time has blown out somewhat. From the initial "click" until the "WELCOME" appears = 1min & 50 seconds.

And that's running on empty. No AV FW etc etc. All start up items ticked as "NO". For the record the PC is Pentium 4 / CPU 2.0GHZ / 1024ram.

Is there any hope of getting her back up to her PB (personal best time)?

2. Demoras

Demoras Registered Member

Interesting, I think I'll hook into this one because I have the same problem.

3. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Do you have a prior image with IE6 that you could just roll back to? IE7 is a headache to many. Your PC specs aren't that bad. 2GHZ CPU with a gig of RAM? That should easily handle the basics, including IE7. But, have read about lots of trouble. Hope you can go back to IE6, or just go Firefox.

4. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

Im tweaking a box tonight I just assembled out of old parts for a friend
    w\ a 1200MHz Tbird & 1GB of PC2100 its just screaming along w\ Firefox even when using a sandbox

of course I wouldnt touch IE7 with a ten foot pole anyway

Id agree dont think its the hardware
    I have managed to saturate the computing cycles with some heavy multitasking
    and it certainly has a lower threshold than my workstation (SMP)
    but its still fine for damn near everything I can throw at it,
    sort of hate to see that processor go its been a real workhorse around here

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

My Machine has 3.62Ghz and 1024MB RAM Interestingly enough IE7 can be a bitch,cause it asks to install all those Addons like Windows Messenger and Windows Media Player extensions. you can always disable these little buggers in Tools/Manage Add Ons. One strange instance I discovered though was this, I have a music download account with my ISP Provider,and with IE6 I can Login no problem, but with IE7 it says Invalid Password and or Username :blink: I have told them about this,and they are as baffled as I am :blink: I dont use it very often, but still thats besides the point, why is this happening? Does anyone here have any Clues, Because its just too weird for words o_O

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

DVD+R just made a light go on in my head. OW! :D He mentions the add-ons in IE7. I have a 2800GHZ with 1024mb RAM, and I upgraded to IE7 and it is fast with no problems. The thing that I don't have are any add-ons. Maybe if you disable any add-ons you have and any active-X you don't absolutely need, your IE might speed up. I only use IE as the default for e-mail videos and websites, the rare website that won't load in FF, and Windows updates. I use Firefox for my everyday browser.

7. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

How new is your installation?

IE7 runs fine on my old system I use just for Skype, 500mhz Celeron, with 196MB RAM.

8. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

"Extensions/add-ons' or non-existent. IE7 was installed 4-6 weeks ago. Maybe its something else??

However since IE7 an extra 'process' has joined the start-up loop. Its a blue page saying "windows is starting up.." and hangs in there for the longest time.

9. Ice_Czar

first guess certificates
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=238140
    (a very shallow search there :cautious: sort of off the top of my head will need alot more research)

I setup clients boxes (and my own) with a noaccess.rat with windows update, technet ect allowed, then give em the password to add additional sites (one lady needed to employ activeX to logon to a railroad company's web application to check her schedule for instance) But I use Firefox for video w\ the Videodownloader extension

first guess
    verclsid.exe (Verify Class ID Microsoft) used to verify COM objects before they are started by Windows Explorer. (which of course IE is a part of via webveiw) MS introduced this exe to validate ActiveX controls.

It came to the attention of HIPS users when it was rolled out
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=127567
    and is possibly more heavily employed as additional overhead in IE7 vs IE6?
    just guessing

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  10. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

The conversation in that other thread is a little different to my situation...maybe? And a little over my head. I know next to nothing about butchering mswindowsxp. But I have the desired commitment and a first aid kit at hand (TrueImage) in case of emergency.

Are you suggesting surgical removal of verclsid.exe?

11. Ice_Czar

well it would be interesting to see if there was a difference in the delay

12. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Well. That was an anti-climax. I deleted it. No improvement in start-up time.

13. Ice_Czar

Contig ?

or maybe it takes longer to find no extensions than to find extensions? :p

14. Demoras

Demoras Registered Member

I think I've found something, I haven't tested it a lot (just logged out and back in), but try disabling the "Workstation" service (run the services.msc command). When I logged back in, it was nice and really fast. I read that Workstation searches for other computers in a network or something, and that creates a certain lag.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hmm interesting see what other people say.
    i might try that if its not a needed process.
    lodore

16. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I've just tried the above. No relief unfortunately. I'm beginning to suspect XP itself.

17. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Sounds like its time for a fresh windows install. I always do a custom update and haven't installed ie7 as i never use ie apart from updating windows.
    You probably also need to go thru your services and disable all the crap thats not needed.

These are the only services i have running on my trimmed down system,

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.