180Solutions Attempts Gator Move

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TeMerc, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeMerc

TeMerc Registered Member

Published: June 27, 2005, 10:55 PM PDT
    By Joris Evers
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com

In an apparent attempt to rid itself of the image of an aggressive adware pusher, 180solutions is alerting PC users whose PCs run its ad-serving software and is offering tips on removing it.

In addition to popping up ads on PC screens, the Bellevue, Wash.-based company on Monday started displaying messages on user PCs that inform users that the software is installed on their system, said 180solutions spokesman Sean Sundwall. The message explains the software displays ads and offers a link to uninstall information, he said.

As is common with adware, many users may have unwittingly installed 180solutions' product. It may even have installed itself in a so-called drive-by-install, where Web browser vulnerabilities are used to drop and install software on PCs when users visit malicious Web sites. 180solutions software is installed on 20 million PCs, the company said.

Full Read @ C|NET

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

bah I barf on 180Spylutions... but then that's just my style :cool:

Nice article, though my friend... Thanks for keeping us up to date in the moves taken by the barf-heads ;-)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.