13 million US Facebook users don’t change privacy settings

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/13-million-us-facebook-users-dont-change-privacy-settings/12398

2. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I change mine, and check them often. So do most folks I know that use Facebook. How does one get an estimated 13 million users don't; from a study of 2,002 households surveyed (1,340 of which identified as being active on Facebook)? o_O

3. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

I would argue the exact opposite. Anecdotally, I would say that most everyday computer users don't care (or care very little) about privacy settings. But if the statistical sampling shows that only 13 million out of 169 million are in this camp, that means over 92% of users evidently are aware of privacy settings. I find this statistic rather hard to believe, frankly, considering the overall lack of computer literacy/tech savviness of the general population.

:doubt:

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I was thinking the exact same thing.

~

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well recently people have paid more attention to FB privacy settings (At least the people around me). :rolleyes:
    I know because i've noticed it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Millions have not reviewed Facebook privacy settings: Here’s how

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  7. chrisretusn

Thanks, I am aware of these things. I do agree that sampling 0.0154% of the population does seem a bit low....

It is my opinion, that studies, surveys are almost always manipulated to support the point being made. In this case Facebook is the bullseye....

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  8. chrisretusn

You didn't come off as rude. The explanation was a good one. I just wanted to let you know I was aware of how things work is all. I am always amazed at surveys, studies that encompass a very small subset of the population and come to overly broad assumptions that apply to millions. Like the headline I read in this mornings paper, 13.8 million Filipinos unemployed, survey was based on face-to-face interviews of 1200 people across the country, so they say, I suspect most was done in Manila.

Just finished my own small survey of Facebook users I know (46), 100% of them have changed their privacy settings.

9. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.