1132 ITEMS HAVE PROTECTION DISABLED

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by GARGPR, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GARGPR

GARGPR Registered Member

Hello:

I recently have been experiencing a problem with Spyware Blaster (also with Spy Bot). Each time that I open Spyware Blaster, It informs me that protection is disabled for up to 1132 items (number of items vary) in the Restricted Sites. I re-enable protection until it shows all items have protection enabled. Sometimes I have to enable protection manually for 1 or 2 items. Definitions 7/23/05. I checked updates today but none were available. (I also have to continually re-immunize Spy Bot.)

I have Zone Alarm Security Suite (6.0) and Ad Aware SE Plus, plus MSAS. I have run various virus and spyware scans and Ad Aware has found BroadcastPC and I have deleted it off my computer. Windows XP/SP2.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Robert

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

What were some of these Spywarescans....and did any of them give results in regards to what registry key was found ?

3. GARGPR

GARGPR Registered Member

These are the spyware scans:

Ad Aware spyware scan - Broadcast PC

Trend Micro- cookies

Zone Alarm Spyware - Found nothing

MSAS- Found nothing

Robert

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Do you use any other programs besides Spywareblaster and Spybot's Immunize that adds entries to IE's Restricted Zone ?

5. GARGPR

GARGPR Registered Member

Yes

IE-SPYAD and Blocklist.reg (270kb)

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I am very familar with IE-Spyad....and if you disabled\removed it's entries you still should only see about 800 entries missing from Spywareblaster Restricted Sites. So....let's look further into this Blocklist.reg file. Where would I possibly find that file to take a look at that file ?

While we are talking about IE-Spyad....you do realize that when you disable\remove IE-Spyad that it will affect Spywareblaster and also Spybot's Immunize....in particular it's Restricted Sites entries.

IE-Spyads read me file

7. GARGPR

GARGPR Registered Member

The Blocklist.reg file can be found at Spywareguide.com.
    I downloaded the "minimal download" file (270kb)

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Ok....I thought that was the file you were referencing....but....that can not be part of this problem because it serves the same purpose as SpywareBlasters Internet Explorer protection....in particular ActiveX.

I have checked a few of my IE-Spyad reg files....and there is a good chance you are catching yourself in a loop by diabling one of the 3 programs mentioned....there-by disabling a number of entries in the other 2 programs.
    Only by knowing your database dates of those three programs could we possibly nail it down imphatically.

Your are understanding what I am meaning when I say the disabling of one of the programs protections affects the others ?

9. GARGPR

GARGPR Registered Member

I'm not sure what you mean about disabling one of the programs. Are you saying when I turn Spyware Blaster or Spybot off that this is what is causing the problem?

Should I delete the blocklist.reg? No problem with me if this will resolve the problem.

How can I find the database dates of the 3 programs?

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It will be your choice which one of the 3 programs you use in regards to Restricted Sites protection....or all of them if you want to. What you have to understand is that when you add Spywareblasters Restricted Sites to Internet Explorer's Restricted Zone....and then add IE-Spyads list of Restricted Sites to IE's Restricted Zone....some of the entries in each one of those 2 databases are the same entries. If you then un-install IE-Spyad for instance....it removes it's entries....and at the same time in-directly it is removing many of Spywareblasters entries. Same goes for Spybot and it's Immunize feature....in regards to it's Restricted Sites it has in it's database.

As I mentioned in my previous post....the blocklist.reg contains ActiveX CLSID entries....which is the same as Spywareblasters ActiveX protection. That also could cause you a problem if you do not realize that some of the same entries of those 2 programs overlap also in regards to ActiveX protection only.

If you can grasp what I am saying about the overlap in protection....and disabling....I really don't feel we need to look at the dates or do any testing.

What I do ask you to do is to consider not using Spybot's Immunize feature....use only Spywareblasters ActiveX and Cookie protection....and then use IE-Spyad as your protection concerning Restricted Sites entries for IE's Restricted Zone.

If you are grasping what I am saying about for every action there is a reaction....then by all means use all three of the programs. If not you will always be in a endless loop in trying to understand why items are not staying checked in Spywarebalster.

11. GARGPR

GARGPR Registered Member

If I disable either one of Spybot, Spyware Blaster or IE-Spyad, I will affect the other programs?

If I delete blocklist.reg this will also affect Spyware Blaster Activex protection?

If the above is true, I won't delete any of the programs and follow your advice in the last post.

"What I do ask you to do is to consider not using Spybot's Immunize feature....use only Spywareblasters ActiveX and Cookie protection....and then use IE-Spyad as your protection concerning Restricted Sites entries for IE's Restricted Zone."

Do I need to disable protection for restricted sites in Spyware Blaster so it will not conflict with IE-Spyad?

Thank you for being patient with me. I am just a "newbie" trying to protect my computer.

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If I disable either one of Spybot, Spyware Blaster or IE-Spyad, I will affect the other programs? Yes

If I delete blocklist.reg this will also affect Spyware Blaster Activex protection? Yes

That'll work....if you indeed understand what I said.

Not if you understand what I said about over lap in protection

My pleasure....and We were all new at this @ one time or another ;)

13. GARGPR

GARGPR Registered Member

Thank you again for all your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.