11 Home - How keep previous full backups?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dudely, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudely

dudely Registered Member

Hello,

I have True Image 11 Home.

I want to create full backups of my operating system drive but I do not
    want to have previous versions of the backup file deleted or overwritten.

I want to have multiple full backup versions so that I can choose which
    one to restore or take individual files/folders from. I do NOT want to
    use the incremental backups, I only want FULL backups created.

How can I tell 11 Home to increment the full backup name on each backup
    job?

I have created automated operation for creating the full backup and set the
    limits to unlimited for all options. But, the backup operation only overwrites the same backup file.

Is there away to do this?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  2. dudely

dudely Registered Member

I just created a Batch File that renames the backup and told TI to run it after each backup is created.

The problem with this solution is that you can't verify the backup automatically after it is created. TI 11 runs the commands directly after the backup is created and doesn't wait until the verification is completed. So how it is now, my little batch file renames the archive then the verification starts but fails because it can't find the archive it just created. LOL

I guess I am stuck to manually verifying the archives.

At least I can now have unlimited full backups created without having past ones written over. One problem solved but another created, oh well it isn't that big of a thing I guess.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You can create Backup Locations in ATI and set limits for number of files, bytes, or age.

Then create a Task in ATI that backs up to that location. ATI will automatically uniquely name the backups and delete the oldest first when the limits are reached. If you want to save some old file no matter what the limits, it would be easiest to jsut copy it to another directory using windows explorer.

4. dudely

dudely Registered Member

I did what you said but true image just overwrites the previous backup file.

I setup the backup location to a directory on my secondary internal drive.
    Told true image to keep 10 backups.

But it just keeps overwriting the file.

That is why I created the batch file to rename the file and in the task that I created for backing up my C drive, I told true image to run my batch file after the backup operation was completed. That is only way I can get more than one backup file stored becuase TI just overwrites, deleting the exisiting backup.

If there is away to get TI to do this operation on it's own, I cant get it to work.

5. dudely

dudely Registered Member

Ok, This one was USER Error.

When I setup the task for the backup I actually chose the folder itself that I wanted the backups to be stored in. I did not choose the backup location from the list of choices to store the backups to.

Everything is working and I no longer have to use my little batch file.
    I did a couple test backups and the backup files were named uniquely. I will assume then that the 10 backup limit I chose will also work now.

So for those that followed this thread. You actually have to choose the backup location you created from the top of the list of possible backup locations. Do not manually chose the folder you want to backup to or else TI will just keep overwriting the backup file and you will have no previous backups. That is unless you just want to have the one backup which happens to be the most recent changes to your system or data.

I personally want to have at least 10 backups I can go back to, I choose a daily backup so that means I will have ten previous days to choose from. This is good if you have a virus or download some crap that takes over your system you can just restore back to the last day or a previous day. Anyway, that is how I do it.

Everything seems to be working now that I chose the correct location. User Error.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.