11.04 - First impressions

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Cvette, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

With the official release of 11.04 days away, I dusted off my old thumb drive to try to familiarize myself with Natty. The install was a breeze as usual, and took less time than Maverick to complete. The first thing I noticed, was that my boot-time was considerably slower.

11.04 | Login screen -> launch of Google Chrome = 37s
    10.10 | Login screen -> launch of Google Chrome = 11s

Seeing how Ubuntu Classic had nothing new, I decided to give Unity try. Visually, Unity has changed very little since it's introduction. And what others see as a time-saver, or a power user's dream, I see as an unnecessary hassle. As I've mentioned before in earlier posts, I'm not a fan of Unity, and quickly became irritated with the new dashboard menu. What I found to be most irritating is how many more clicks or mouse movements it takes to launch an application, or find a file, as opposed to Maverick. Here are two examples:

11.04 | Clicks to launch the Transmission BitTorrent Client = 4
    10.10 | Clicks to launch the Transmission BitTorrent Client = 2
    11.04 | Clicks to open Documents = 3
    10.10 | Clicks to open Documents = 2

My last gripe, is the inability to customize special effects like in 10.10. My ATI card is very slow in Natty, and I can't customize the effects to my liking.

-

But my first impressions aside, what are yours? :)

2. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I'm still hanging tough with my vow to stick with lucid. The whole unity thing is very tempting, but I am hearing mixed feedback. Together with reports of low battery life, I am going to sit back and monitor this (and other) threads. So, basically, this is just a long-winded bump.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Either they'll get it ready by the time Ubuntu 11.04 makes its official debut Thursday or it will be the biggest flop in Canonical's history.

We'll see.

4. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

I mentioned in a post not long ago that I was giving my friend's Windows Vista a tune-up since he was getting low battery life. I managed to get top it out at 3:00, but he wanted to give Ubuntu a spin. I gave him the Natty USB, as giving him 10.10 when the user interface is about to undergo a drastic change wouldn't have made sense, and he only gets 1:35 on it. Jupiter helps though.

I REALLY hope they can get it all ironed out. I didn't mention it in my post, but the update manager, and synaptic package manager all failed to run. And when I went to report the crash, the crash reporter crashed... Windows Deja Vu! I'm going to stick with 10.10 for as long as I can. Or at least use Ubuntu Classic, and see if I can slap Compiz on there to manage the special effects myself, since they removed that ability.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Fortunately, I didn't come across this thread before. It might have dissuaded me from installing 11.04.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.