10.2 Personal B&R Recovery CD Problems

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by itman, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itman

itman Registered Member

I burned two recovery CDs. First was the .iso image from the Paragon download. The second was from directly from the Recovery Media software.

Neither CD will boot under the Linux option.

I get a black screen with the first line reading "ancient bootloader ...........". Next I get an option to select various screen size modes. Tried all those to no sucess. Finally, the screen goes bonkers and fills with blinking messages about video errors, etc.

I can boot into the other non-Linux modes fine but those are useless since I want to backup to my external USB hard drive.

I have a Paragon 9 Personal Recovery CD and that works fine in Linux mode so it is not my PC that is the problem.

Running WIN XP SP3 w/ PCI-e 16x video card. It's a Biostar nVidia 9500GT.

Note: I have ver. 9 Personal B&R still installed on my PC.

2. itman

itman Registered Member

Bump!

Well, it's been 4 days without a reply. Guess I won't worry about upgrading to the paid version of this.

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

The 10 series uses anew Linux kernel - it provides a wider range of support, but there are a few machines which produce the effect you describe.

A bios update might be available from your manufacturer.

Otherwise, the V9 Linux discs use the old kernel - which seems to work for you.

Best of all is to use the WinPe boot media - that only comes with the paid versions, and has very wide hardware support.

You can always make your own WinPe cd quite easily.

4. itman

itman Registered Member

I have a MSI K8N SLI motherboard. Supports AMD 939 processors. Chipset is nVidia nForce4 SLI. Although old, it's not that old.

I recently burned 5 AV recovery CDs from 5 different manufacturers and all use a Linux kernel. None had any problems booting into Linux. The AVG one did wipe out my XP root directory which of course prevented me from booting into XP. That was a bug in their software that they quickly fixed.

Bottom line - I say the problem here is the Paragon software. I do have a paid ver. of Paragon's Drive Backup Professional 9.0 that I never installed since the 9.0 Backup Express free ver. did such a great job backing up and restoring.

Is there anyway I can get a download of the 10.0 WinPE .iso if I gave someone my product key and serial no. for the 9.0 Professional ver. I have?
    For some reason the Paragon web site has me registered for the free 9.0 version and not the Pro version I purchased?

5. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  6. itman

itman Registered Member

Thanks. Will do the registration bit when I get a chance.

As it turns out, I did download the WINPE CD builder with the rest of the Drive Backup Pro 9.0 software. Just got done building the WINPE boot CD and I must say it is pretty impressive. Just like running the regular Drive Backup Pro ver. 9.0 in normal XP. I will just use this WINPE CD and forget the free Linux ones.

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Thanks for the update - glad you are happy with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.