1 PC down, what setup should I recommend for my grandfather?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by HJO, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HJO

HJO Guest

Hi,

Our family is in a great chaos right now.
    Due to the DDOS attack in out country,
    one out of 3 of our PC is down.
    Can't turn on the PC, it's gone.

Just bought the PC a month ago,
    and during the period of the attack,
    the PC broke down.
    So I'm quite sure it broke down due to the DDOS attack.

What setup should I recommend for my grandfather?
    He doesn't know anything about PC.
    He just knows how to click, type, nothing else.

Thanks in advance.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'm not sure what you're asking, if you want DDoS protection you're going to need a better router with and SPI firewall, quite a few routers these days will have packet throttling to prevent DDoS.

3. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!
    you need a router/modem router (depending on the connection type) facing the internet and a security suite like KIS2010. Setting its protection mode to "Automatic" will require zero interaction. Done! :thumb:

Fax

4. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

It seems DDOS firewalls like 8sign or CHI-X can fight with DDOS.But they are usually server firewall.

5. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I personally think KIS2010 is a great piece of software too. Sadly, when testing it, I once again (refering to 2009) experienced that the "Automatic Mode" is not as automatic as it probably could be, and also I wanted it to be. :(

6. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Unfortunately my friend you appear to have the sting in the tail of those DDoS attacks on the Korean and US websites.

http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php/Calendar/20090710

Wilders member tsec spotted a great link and posted on this site, above. It explains what is now happening, and it looks as though you are one of the victims.

EDIT: Another link Here

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  7. fax

fax Registered Member

Ehum? What is this supposed to mean? 2010 reference but then 2009 used, you wanted it to be what?
    In other words: if you could be more clear as you probably wanted to be :D

Fax

8. raven211

What I meant was, I'm refering to last year's edition as well, and also what I meant was - both of those editions are not as automatic as they could be (that's, take care of some prompts that do come up in Automatic Mode, or skip it all together), OR I personally want them to be. Let's sum it up... : It's not completely automatic in 2009 final and 2010 beta when I tested it.

9. fax

fax Registered Member

That are? I am still in a deep fog lol... cannot really see pop-up if KIS is set to AUTOMATIC. May be virus and PDM related but only if you have 'prompt for action'.

To sum up, you can set KIS to be completely silent and this is ideal for novice users and may not be ideal for you. But this is not the point of the OP!

Cheers,
    Fax

10. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

as a recommendation i would say anything you recommend yourself, my mum was as good with computers as my cat a few years ago, shes better now, but ive always used free items, avast and such, if your from the uk or us, youll find out that most ISPs will offer a free suite, like BT used to have norton and now they got mcafee, they are fine but she got infected with mcafee when i put it on recently.. so i used avast, avast has no pop ups and a silent firewall like pc tools, comodo and online armor are better but they so often show popups..

anything even comodo suite can be configured to be silent.. its just what you think he should have, if you dont know much about security go for a suite..

11. raven211

If it's not enough to make a "Express Setup", which seems to indeed set it to Automatic Mode, then what should I, or even the topic starter do - cause this is exactly what I did when running both 2009 final and 2010 beta; I ran Express Setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.