1 Month with the Midori Web Browser

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by shuverisan, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

You are missing in your benchmarking the most important data about CPU usage. RAM usage is irrelevant, we have plenty of it. CPU is the bottleneck.

3. shuverisan

CPU use was already discussed thoroughly.

You can't generalize that memory use is irrelevant and CPU is the choke point as if that applies to all uses & systems.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Entirely a personal experience.
    How many hardware platforms were tested?
    How many graphics cards/kernels/desktop envs?
    Flash crashing, why? Benchmarks, irrelevant for daily use.
    Mrk

5. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Nice writeup. Thanks for sharing it.

6. mattdocs12345

where? i would like to see it.

Okay here I found it at the very bottom of the review.
    Im sorry but it feels to me a little biased way to present the browser performance. You have made charts and comparisons for values in which the browser did well in but decided to omit giving us a chart for CPU usage in which it actually did quite poorly.

Actually for modern laptops I can generalize that RAM usage is less of a problem than CPU usage.

Now, as for the browser itself. I hope it does well and become a light weight alternative to other browsers on the market. Even thou it is using quite a bit more CPU right now, Im sure those issues can be worked out in the future. Im glad someone is working on an extra browser and I hope it really takes off as a serious competition to the big trio.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  7. shuverisan

What you quoted is nowhere near the very bottom of the review. Reload the page because there's a lot more.

You can of course, think however you will, but nothing was omitted, you quoted the comparison yourself.

I don't have a picture for Midori's CPU numbers because LibreOffice, AFAIK, doesn't do graphs with number ranges in a single data point. If I'm wrong on that, someone please let me know. Maybe I could make it appear as some kind of deviation but I'd have to figure out how to do that; not worth the effort now and still gives the wrong impression. Writing it out was the easiest option.

8. mattdocs12345

You can have one graph with multiple values. They don't have to be ranges. For example you can have Browser X 125% cpu max and right next to it Browser X 5% CPU low. And then the next Browser Z at max and low. That would be enough to give people a clue where each browser stands at. What are the max CPU values, what are the minimums, you could also make another graph showing CPU consuption at one tab after 2 mins of usage vs CPU consuption at one tab after 10 seconds of usage.
    These values are huge. Even on low end computer such as my Penitum III, CPU is the problem and not the RAM or HDD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.