"%1 Is Not A Valid Win 32 Application"

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Anniel, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anniel

Anniel Registered Member

I am hanging my head in shame.

I should not have rejoiced.

All my network connections have been wiped away. I am connected direct to the net.

The search function in XP does not work.

I tried System restore and got this message:

"System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart and then run System restore again"

Needless to say..it did not work.

My AV did not load on start up and neither did MS anti spyware.

I have contacyed my AV forum at Avast and am currently running Kapersky EScan..so far it has found 7 viruses in D drive...Although it has only deleted 1 and I have not found anyinstructions on how to delete the others.

I feel very depressed...I can see it ending in a reformat and as not the sharpest knife in the box, I will find it horrific.

I do not know what to say or what to ask.....as your oldest resident, I can tell you I could cry.

Bubba..that is indeed me!!

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

This is easy for me to say Ann because I do not know your need for the Internet....but....IMHO, when these boxes of parts we call computers cause us that much heart burn....it's time to turn them into boat anchors :cool:

Now....if you are wanting to rid yourself of these demons inside your PC....I'll suggest a few things.

1)Stick with one Forum that you find to be qualified in assisting you
    2)Understand it's probably not going to go as quickly as you'd like....so Patience will be good
    3)If starting over(Format)....is an option....given time, folks here or at a qualified Forum of your choosing....should have no problem helping you step thru this process.
    4)Understand it's probably not going to go as quickly as you'd like....so Patience will will good

BTW....crying will get you no where....it does damage to the keyboard :cool:

Good Luck in what ever your choice,
    Bubba

3. Anniel

Anniel Registered Member

Bubba,

My efforts to get help from more than one forum is, in my opinion, quite a good idea as many "experts" live in a different time zone to me and what is more, not all of them have a lot of toime to deal with the problems of untech. people such as myself and you can wait for an answer for quite some time.

I always try to explain exactly what is going on, but sometimes different people do not read exactly what the problem is and ask me to do things I cannot do at present.

You appear to know me...You have the advantage as I have never heard of "Bubba"

As I am retired, I have lots of time to use my PC. My anxiety is born out of frustration as the instructions we get from foruns is to uninstall using Add/Remove .

I did this with Avast so I can get a fresh install, it removed the programme from D drive, but now I am left with 55MB of files in Cdrive programme files. My gut instinct is to remove them manually, but searches on Google give me no answers as to whther this is the correct thing to do.

Now, I have several forums where I can ask this question...Wilders, Avast, Web User, IDF50, CastleCops, tech Guy etc.

I thought that was what forums were for...and people asking questions, however inane and stupid to techie young guys, keep the forums going.

However, it seems that you do not think so.

It is reassuring when more than one experienced user gives the same advice.

So "Bubba" where have we met before?

if it is in Avast, one question I would like to know is how, when the programme is kept up to date, that another scan throws up all sorts of problems.

I have the following security progs:

Spyware Blaster,Prevx, SpywareGuard, Bazooka, SpyHunter, Ewido security suite, spy subtract, CCleaner.

And yet the nasties get through.

As we get older, our brains react more slowly. We even have to print the answers we get so we do not make mistakes. I have not had the advantage of working in an IT field and my generation, particularly female, do not always have the same technical knowledge as our younger frinds.

However, I adore the internet and as I have two sons living overseas, it enables me to keep in touch.

You have touched a raw nerve with me...so I would like your comments.

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Unfortunately, vague descriptions like this are pretty much useless for troubleshooting. Which search feature are you talking about? (Files and Folders from the Start Menu, the Search facility in Internet Explorer or something else?). When it "doesn't work", do you get an error message? (if so, what exactly does it say), does nothing happen or do you see something unexpected (e.g. does Internet Explorer redirect you to a different website - suggesting a browser hijacker at work).
    Start Windows up in Safe Mode (see To start the computer in safe mode if you are unfamiliar with this) and run your virus scanner manually (in Safe Mode, nothing will be run at startup allowing your scanner to disinfect files that might otherwise be in use).

Your post suggests that you have a spyware/malware problem. In this case, following the instructions in the Parasite Fight! webpage is the best starting point. Once you have cleaned your system, check the Why did I get infected in the first place thread for details on protecting yourself better in future. Assuming you can get Firefox installed, try to use it in place of IE as much as possible and ensure, at the minimum, that you have a firewall and regularly updated anti-virus running at all times.

5. Anniel

Anniel Registered Member

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am sorry I did not make myself clear...I should have known better.

The "search" function I was referring to was when I click on start< I can see the "run" function and above it is "Search" which I use to for stuff in all my files and folders.

What I meant was, when I click on "Search" absolutely nothing happens.

I will run the AV scan as you suggest in safe Mode ( at least I do know how to do that)

I had read the How did I get Infected file and was so impressed that I printed it all off so I have it to hand.

I have just come in and so before I carry out the steps you recommend, would I be safe to delete manually the "Avast" files from C drive....As I said, I did do an Add/Remove the programme in CP. The files in D drive uninstalled successfully but I am left with aprrox. 54 MB of files in the Avast folder in C drive programs. I would add that searches in Regseeker show no Avast installed application nor does the Programme show up in Tune Up Utilities in Installed applications

I am just loth to compound my problems by doing something stupid. I will wait for your answer before proceeding.

I thank you for your patient assistance.....I know I am pretty thick!!

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I don't know you personally Anniel....if that's what you are wondering. When I....and I'm sure others do the same....attempt to help individuals....I will take as much info as I can get and then assess that info. Part of the info I have gathered concerning you and your past troubles is found via the link I shared in post # 24. I read thru all those threads\posts you made in that webuser forum for no other reason than to see if any of that info would shed light on any of your present problems.

My comments in my prior post concerning...."Stick with one Forum that you find to be qualified in assisting you"....was definetly taken out of context and was nothing more than a simple opinion on my part of how best to resolve a users problem.

What route you choose to fix your troubles is not of my concern and only offer my opinion of how best to resolve the problems I have seen in your Webuser threads\posts and the one thread you had here at Wilders concerning How To remove HideRun.exe ....where you felt you had rid yourself of that problem. However....I am of the opinion....other items such as that are still laying in your system and I will follow this thread with interest as you and others attempt to clean up the mess that's on your system.

Regards,
    Bubba

7. Anniel

Anniel Registered Member

Thanks for that, Bubba.

I have not got rid of all the programme files from Avast sitting in my C drive...I have been waiting to see if it was OK to do it manually as they are not installation files ( at least they do not show up as being so)

Therefore, I have not been able to reinstall Avast...something that is really bothering me.

I have lost so many functions and the further I go the more things I find I cannot do:

Cannot attach HJT logs, cannot print and the latest problem is my programme that I use to burn music ( nero Smart) is not working..".error COM/OLE occurs .Please check the installation of COM on your PC"

When I tried to print, absolutely nothing happened.

Cannot click on links with any result

Cannot copy/paste.

Whatever has done this is very nasty indeed. I just wish I knew how it happened. I did think I had loads of protection.

I fear it will end up with a reformat of both drives.

I have an OEM disc as that is what came with my Evesham PC. Husband has a full XP Pro. CD, but as they come with reg. number cannot use that and I am not sure with my kind of use it is worth going out and buying it.

So do I manually get rid of all 54MB of Avast files sitting in C drive programs..that is the burning question for me!! I want to get on and see if I can reinstall Avast.

In the meantime maybe I should look in the forum and see what AV everyone else uses.

I am at the stage that I will willingly pay for AV if it will protect me well.

8. Paranoid2000

The only article I have found relating to this is Policy Settings for the Start Menu in Windows XP. However since policy settings would remove the Search entry, I do not think that this is the cause of your problem.
    Given that you have been making Registry changes and deleting files, it is quite possible that one (or more) of the changes you have made has caused your system problems, rather than any malware. As such, I would be inclined to suggest a reformat and reinstallation of Windows (and all your other software). A repair may work (see STEP BY STEP: Using repair in Windows XP) but there is no way to be certain on this.

The CD-ROM that came with your system may be a "recovery" disk containing the full software setup that your system had initially - but it is also possible (if you have not tested it previously) that it may be missing components (like hardware drivers) which could (in a worst case scenario) prevent you from getting back online.

To prepare against this eventuality, ensure that you have noted Evesham's technical support telephone number from their website and made a list of the hardware installed in your system (right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties/Hardware/Device Manager will give a list - note especially the Network and Display Adapters listed since these are where problems are most likely to occur). If any hardware fails to work after reinstalling, then check the manufacturer's website for any software drivers needed.

Another good idea is to download onto removeable media (CD-ROM if possible or a memory card - floppy disks are unlikely to be able to store enough) a firewall since you really need to have one installed before connecting to the Internet (if you have WinXP SP2 on CD-ROM, then its firewall will suffice to start with). Also see How to install or upgrade to Windows XP for more information.

You mention having two drives on your system - if all Windows' files are held on the first, then it should only be necessary to format this one (and the second can then be used to store any important downloads).

Finally, once you have everything working to your satisfaction, make a backup of your system. I have found the easiest option is to use Drive Snapshot to make full system backups - these can be made to another hard disk (the best option) or to CD/DVD (depending on how much data there is on your system). Having a regularly updated (I'd suggest weekly at least) backup will allow you to recover from serious system screwups and major catastrophes like hard disk failure. Drive Snapshot can run in the background and make a backup while you are doing other things on your system.

This may not be the solution you were looking for, but given the nature of the problems you mention there is little else I can suggest.

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

As Paranoid2000 has suggested, at this point I too would suggest a complete format and a reinstall of Windows.

You might want to look at Acronis True Image 8.0 to make "images" of your system as soon as you have a fresh install of Windows, and then after each program is installed.

As a guide to securing your system you may want to take a look HERE. As well there are discussions HERE and even more HERE.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

10. Anniel

Anniel Registered Member

As you can see iy is after 11.30pm and I am still on my PC. I mamanged to get a new version of Avast and then went into safe mode and ran a complete scan which turned up nothing.

I ran Stinger, CWShredder, Spyhunter, Spysubtract and other defence I have on my PC, but nothing has improved.

Worst of all my Burning programmes are not working,,,I have Nero 6. , so I am unable to get anything to CD.

I rang Evesham this pm and they will guide me through the Reformat process. I am confident I have all the right drives. So we will do it in the morning.

I do not have SP2 on disc..it was downloaded.

I think the reformat will have to be complete as Kapersky found a virus in my local settings there.

I will not lose that much...all my music is on CDRs. I have got my address book on floppy and favourites can always be replaced.

I really think I do have to get the best AV and am going to look at this NOD programme before I go to sleep. I have used Sygate firewall, but have to admit I am not really smart enough to understand it well enough. I have Prevx and will get that again.....with the firewall business, I used to have ZA but read that the newest free version could cause problems and so i went to Sygate...maybe I will try ZA again

I am extremely concerned that I will have to get my AV when on the net and am open to attack whilst doing it.

I will definitely get Drive Snapshot..it looks good.

I will let you know how I get on. I am more worried about getting our wireless network up and running than on doing the reformat...but that will take a lower priority than getting protection.

Thank you all for your patience and assistance. I just hope my problems are of interest to others and i will NEVER touch the registry again...I only got rid of Firefox!!!

11. Paranoid2000

I would suggest trying a Repair first, as mentioned above but good luck with the reinstall if you go ahead with it.

I would suggest a firewall as a first priority (if you are familiar with ZoneAlarm then I'd suggest sticking with it for the time being) and the anti-virus second. Any programs held on CD-ROM or floppy should be checked with it, since if you did have a virus, it may have spread onto them (data files like music and pictures are less likely to harbour viruses though they could contain exploits for security vulnerabilities in older media players).

Kaspersky does however detect many other types of malware (adware, browser hijackers, trojans) that do not spread in such a fashion - if you can remember the exact item it reported, then more specific advice could be offered but it is better to be overly-cautious if in doubt.

12. Anniel

Anniel Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. It all seems more scary today!.

Kaspersky found and deleted:

D:\Docs and Settings Trojan Downloader Win32 1st Bar.gen

Also found bur not deleted were 5 instances:

Local service\Local settings\Temporary Internet files\Content IE5 \LNLYWUGE MediaTicketInstaller (1) Cabbed as not a virus.Adware > media tickets.

I will use ZA as the firewall first..have the problems with the latest edition been ironed out? And would Avast AV be OK or should I go for a another highre quality one...I realise you may be reluctant to advise on this!

You can see the reason I did not think repair was OK was because the virus was in D drive.

13. Paranoid2000

I'm not familiar enough with Kaspersky's naming standards to be certain, but the "trojan downloader" could refer to adware/spyware rather than an actual virus (which tries attaching copies of itself to your other program files). As such it may be the result of insecure Internet Explorer settings (especially if the file was in the browser cache - without the full path name it is not possible to be certain on this). The other entries (adware) are definitely the result of IE not being locked down.

Neither should require a format, just restarting Windows in Safe Mode and deleting the files manually should work, at which point trying a Repair would be a sensible option.

With regard to ZoneAlarm, I would suggest checking the "Other Firewalls" forum here and the ZoneLabs forum for more details about the latest version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.