1 GB of RAM missing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ohblu, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

I'm in charge of fixing my grandmother's computer whenever she messes it up. I keep copies of all of the log files on my computer in case I need them. Today I was tidying up those files on my computer and I noticed something. In August 2009, CCleaner v2.18.878 showed her computer as having 2 GB of RAM. In March 2010, CCleaner v2.29.1111 shows it as having 1 GB of RAM. Is there a glitch in CCleaner that would cause that? I can't look at her computer for at least a week to confirm if this is accurate. In December 2009, her computer was taken to a repair shop to be completely reformatted. Later, SP3 and all the MS updates were installed. So, I'm thinking there is either some sort of software glitch or 1 GB of RAM was removed at the repair shop.

I know that her computer seemed a little slow right after she got it back from the shop. The problem seemed to go away after it was defragged and we switched back to the wired keyboard. Although, this slowness problem started happening six months after she got the computer back in 2007. No one ever could figure it out and the techs always blamed spyware, but I've had my doubts. This is the second time she's had it reformatted at the repair shop. Also, I could have sworn the computer came with 4 GB of RAM, not 2 GB. So now that CCleaner is only showing 1 GB, I'm really suspicious.

Any thoughts? Like I said before, it will be at least a week before I can get to her house to check.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I doubt CC would glitch like that. Check the computer innards to be sure

3. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

That's a good idea, but I have no idea how to take the cover off. The last time I tried taking a cover off without instructions, I broke the tabs and now the cover won't go on properly. :oops: Luckily, it was just an old computer I got for free.

Is there a website that gives instructions? The computer is custom built.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ohblu, do you know who made the PC's case? Brand name?

FYI. You could also use CPU-Z (I recommend the no installation zip file) to double check the memory.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

This little video may help as it shows how to open different computer cases.

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s_3KqMVSQI-

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010
  6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

System Information For Windows (SIW) will give you the information you require,showing how many and the type/size of memory installed.

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Also,as a rule modern computer cases are fairly easy to open (not always though).

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I agree about modern cases. Mine (mfr. unknown, system was from a local OEM shop) is relatively antique (maybe 7-8 years) but does have simple latches to take the cover off in place of having to remove/replace a zillion metal screws, which were a PITA to line up properly when trying to get the cover back on.

8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ohblu

1 GB of RAM missing

Call the feds :D

Seriously, hope you get it sorted for her :)

9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

You don't need to open the system in order to perform a reformat.
    It might be possible that one of the memory banks needs to be reseated.
    But considering your statement that you could have sworn that the computer came with 4 GB and you only noticed 2 GB, makes me think that it's easy to get confused...

10. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

Ok, three different programs are showing 1 GB of DDR2 RAM. Crucial.com's memory scanner showed that there are four total slots with three available.
    CPU-Z shows the following:

DIMM # 1
    SMBus address 0x50
    Memory type DDR2
    Module format Regular UDIMM
    Manufacturer (ID) Infineon (C100000000000000)
    Size 1024 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC2-4300 (266 MHz)
    Part number 64T128020HU3.7A
    Manufacturing date Week 18/Year 06
    Number of banks 2
    Data width 64 bits
    Correction None
    Nominal Voltage 1.80 Volts
    EPP no
    XMP no
    JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
    JEDEC #1 3.0-3-3-9-12 @ 200 MHz
    JEDEC #2 4.0-4-4-12-16 @ 266 MHz
    JEDEC #3 5.0-4-4-12-16 @ 266 MHz

The receipt for when the computer was built shows 2GB DDR II PC 667 RAM. I'm assuming that one 2GB stick was installed rather than two 1GB sticks. If two 1GB sticks were installed, I would think the receipt would show that.

It appears to me that something is wrong here. The receipt shows PC 667 but CPU-Z shows PC2-4300, which I believe is the same as PC 533. What does this mean? It sounds like someone swapped out the RAM.

11. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

No, usually they install pairs, 2x1 gb, because it improves the ram speed (and is cheaper).

Yes, PC2-4300 is DDRII-533; indeed they replaced the 2x1gb DDRII-667 with 1x1gb DDRII-533.
    I think that is time to pay them a visit. (But before doing so also check the other info from the receipt and compare it with what is installed.)

Panagiotis

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ohblu, more info: Chips and modules.

Agree with Panagiotis that it might be time to pay them a visit. Sounds like someone swapped memory, perhaps to sell a newer computer? :doubt:

13. pandlouk

Or to sell as a pair.
    Have seen it happen lots of times. The most often victims are women and people over 50, since most of them do not now much about technical staff.

Panagiotis

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Panagiotis, I agree. Whatever it is, if ohblu's paperwork proves what the PC originally had, something is going on with that repair shop! :ouch:

15. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

Should I open the case to confirm that CPU-Z is indeed correct? I don't want to accuse the repair shop of stealing and then find out that CPU-Z is wrong and the correct memory is installed.

Now the problem is proving that the repair shop swapped the memory. The computer was built in late 2006. It was taken in to be reformatted in summer 2007. Then it was taken in again in Dec. 2009 to be reformatted. I have screenshots of CCleaner showing that the computer had 2GB RAM during the fall of 2009. I have screenshots of CCleaner showing that the computer has 1GB in early 2010. I also have log files of ImgBurn showing that the computer had 2GB of RAM in the fall of 2009, before it was taken to the reapir shop.

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ohblu, CPU-Z is pretty good, however, you could visually confirm that the info is correct on the memory stick's label.

Was this the same repair shop that originally built the PC?

If so, and you having the receipt, then there's a chance.

If not, they can say anything against your proof, but it's still worth a try. The worst that can happen is that they say NO.

17. pandlouk

No do not open it; if they use a lock seal (some shops do) they could accuse you that you changed it. CPU-Z's information is more than enough (never saw it display wrong information).

And do not sound doubtfull when you'll talk to them. -The ram was 2gb 667 and now is 1gb 553 and your receipt and your pc proves it.

Panagiotis

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Panagiotis is correct about the case. :thumb: I forgot about that. If the shop installed a seal, they'll know you tampered with the case, then, case closed!

19. pandlouk

One thing to add.
    If the technicians deny that they swaped it, you should demand to speak with the manager or the owner of the shop.

Some times the owner does not know about this (but often they do know), but I doubt that he 'll want to lose a customer, especially a lady who needs their help for reinstalling the OS, and build bad reputation for a pair of ram.

Panagiotis

20. ohblu

ohblu Registered Member

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

This is the same shop that built the computer. The case was opened about two years ago by a tech at another company who replaced the video card.

The owner of the shop is probably the one who swapped/stole it. The bad reviews for that place are all about him being crooked.

And just to be clear, did they take two 1GB sticks or one 2GB stick? It's unclear (confusing) to me whether they were installed in pairs. And, right now, is there one 1GB stick in there? It would obviously be best if I know exactly what I'm talking about otherwise I won't sound believable when I talk to these people. I might have to contact the BBB so I definitely want to get everything straight.

21. pandlouk

You are welcome.:)

Since she bought it from the same shop is even better.

I can't be 100% sure, but I never ever saw a pc that came with 2gb in one module. Let's say 99,9% came with 2x1gb sticks (at the time the 2gb modules were very expensive). So go for 2 sticks of 1gb.

Currently, you have only one 1GB stick in there. (DIMM # 1 is the slot where the module is inserted).

ps.if they tell you that they replaced it because it was problematic (most common excuse), demand to change it back with 2x1gb DDRII 667. (the rams come with lifetime garantee and if the manufacturer company does not have the exact module in stock, they ask you if you want a similar module or a refund of money. Corsair for example had send me a check refunding the full price of the receipt in a similar situation)

Panagiotis

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.