1.5 TB hard disk detected as 1 TB only

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by SoWhy, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoWhy

SoWhy Registered Member

Hi there,

I recently got a 1.5 TB Samsung hard disk. I connected it internally via S-ATA first and PPM 10 detected it correctly. I then copied my old partitions and connected the disk externally using a USB docking station. Now PPM insists that it's only a 1 TB disk and Windows XP agrees. I booted into Linux and ran testdisk which claimed the same. I then used testdisk to change the cylinder value to 182365 (size / (heads * sectors * sector size), i.e. 1.5 x 1012 / (255 * 63 * 512)) which makes Windows recognize it as 1.5 TB disk again but PPM 10 still insists that it's only a 1 TB disk. Also, when I reconnect it to my netbook running Linux and re-starting testdisk, it again claims it's only a 1 TB disk. :ninja:

Is this a BIOS issue but then why does Windows XP recognize the correct size after changing the geometry manually? Or is it an issue with PPM 10 but then why has testdisk the same problem? I am confused and I do not want to trust the disk until I can figure this out. So....any help? o_O

TIA
    SoWhy

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello SoWhy,

Very strange. Can we get a screen shot of your Windows disk management and paragon's disk view?

3. SoWhy

SoWhy Registered Member

I wish I had done so because I feel like a fool now. I just went to check again and now it reports the correct size just fine. I have no idea what happened :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.