Best Selling Anti-Virus Software?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DCN, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCN

DCN Registered Member

Hi,

Which is the best selling anti-virus software? I searched the forum but the closest answer I could find was in the topic 'Top 10 Anti-Virus products' started by technodrome in which he listed anti-virus products and their market shares in the AV market. This would have been ideal for me but unfortunately there was no source article link to back these figures up.

Many people tell me that Norton is the best selling anti-virus but as of yet I have been unable to find any conclusive evidence to prove this.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

DCN

Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  2. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

the best selling antivirus is Norton antivirus.

but that does not mean that its the best antivirus.

there are other way better antiviruses out there.

but the point of the thread is ti know which is the best selling one and thats norton.

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

The reason why Norton/Symantec sells so well is that lots of computer manufacturers put a 3 month version on new systems. Most users take the easy way out and extend.

However, I think that Dell has been going with Mcafee lately.

Although there are lots of critics of Norton/Symantec AV, particularly with resource usage and uninstallation problems, the 2005 edition had excellent detection according to AV Comparatives. I tried the 2004 version and thought it was a disaster.

4. DCN

DCN Registered Member

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I know that Norton is not necessarily the best anti-virus, and I assume that it is in fact the best selling anti-virus, I just need some proof to back up the fact that it IS the best selling anti-virus.

I frequently visit www.virus.gr and www.av-comparatives.org which will provide you with documented research on which anti-virus packages are 'the best' in terms of detection rates, but I have, as of yet, been unable to find a site providing global usage figures of different anti-virus software packages and hence, the best selling packages.

If anyone knows of a site which can prove the statement 'Norton is the best selling Anti-Virus' or 'Norton is the most popular Anti-Virus' thats all I'm looking for. :)

5. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

if u want the best antivirus for the best detection go for kaspersky antivirus.

kaspersky antivirus has the best detection and removel from all other antiviruses.

for me kaspersky antivirus is the best antivirus. :D

6. DCN

DCN Registered Member

Hi, thanks for the prompt replies.

Again though, I know that Norton is essentially not the best. And yes, coincidentally I too protect my computer with Kaspersky Anti-Virus, I am not looking to find out which Anti-Virus is the best at performing, offers the lowest system resource usage or provides the best detection rates, I am looking to find evidence of which Anti-Virus is the best selling/most popular. :)

If anyone knows of a site, article or item of research which can PROVE either of the statements, 'Norton is the most popular AV' or 'Norton is the best selling AV' then thats all I am after. :)

Thanks.

7. rothko

rothko Registered Member

hi,

if you have a look here http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat...V1=754926&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=192370 and scroll down to the bottom of the page and read by the * where it says that Norton is the "Top-selling antivirus software product from December 2000 through June 2005 based on the NPD Group’s retail Top Selling Business Software list."
    You could have a look at the NPD site too i suppose, may have more information there - but may be pay-for reports, i dunno.

lee

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

On a quick look, this is the closest I could locate. It's a little over a year old, but trends generally don't change that quickly. Punchline - Symantec and McAfee are reported about equal in the world AV market with 25% share each. I won't vouch for the numbers, but it sounds about right.

Blue

9. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

The best selling antivirus is Norton antivirus.
    That does not mean that it's the best antivirus.
    Because, there isn't the best antivirus.
    There are good antiviruses according to your conditions and needs.

10. DCN

DCN Registered Member

lee1276 and BlueZannetti - Thank you both - The NPD Group has a homepage (www.npd.com) and the ComputerWorld.com article refers to research conducted by IPC Group (www.ipc.com). Both sites contain reports which provided me with the research based evidence I needed.

Thank you very much for your help. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.