Cannot restore Windows 2000 Server!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sconnell, Sep 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sconnell

sconnell Registered Member

I have tried restoring with both Acronis TI 9.0 (just purchased) and Acronis TI Enterprise Server 8.0.

Method employed (both tries): Backed up working Windows 2000 server using Acronis recovery CD to an attached USB hard drive. I used high compression and 700MB parts.

Restored using Acronis recovery CD.

On reboot, Windows 2000 immediately displays the following message:
    "Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware." o_O

Like I stated, I imaged a working system so at the moment this is non-critical. I also understand there are various methods such as looking into editing the boot.ini.

*BUT* Why is this happening in the first place? Why can't I simply clone the hard drive without complications? What am I doing wrong?

ALSO... Why is it that Acronis TI 9.0 takes requires over 40mins to backup a 40GB hard drive and Acronis TI Ent. Server 8.0 only requires about 12mins to backup the same hard drive? o_O

Shawn

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Shawn,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Please take a look at this Microsoft Knowledge Base article for possible reasons and resolutions of this problem.

As for the problem with slow image creation time, I'll forward this information to our Development Team and I'm sure that they will do their best in order to improve the backup speed as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. sconnell

sconnell Registered Member

Thanks but no thanks!

That is no answer.

I asked why I cannot duplicate a Windows 2000 server. I do not need to see the Microsoft KB. I know of various ways that I might possibly fix this image.

My point or question is why isn't Acronis re-creating an EXACT image that can be restored without manipulation of the boot.ini or some other such thing?

I have borrowed a copy of the latest version of Ghost and it has no troubles with a restore.

Have I wasted money investing in Acronis? Should I go buy a copy of Ghost now?

Shawn

4. Warrior2005

Warrior2005 Registered Member

Sorry had the same Problem, and i have to tell u that its something which u must solve cause it has nothing to do with acronis.

And i doubt that ghost worked fine. I am happy that the MS link was mentioned here.

Another thing is , if Acronis could implement a console which would make it possible to edit the boot.ini before image is restored.

Something like a Boot Menu before the actual restore process starts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.