PC fails to boot during cloning restart

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Yapmf, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yapmf

Yapmf Guest

I installed Acronis True Image 9.0 on my pc a Win98 system. I did a cloning process from 40GB disk to 120GB disk. In one of the steps it required me to click re-boot. However during the shutting down process, the system just went off like that. On restarting the PC, it cannot boot to windows.

Can someone please tell me how do i get my pc to boot to windows and
    do the clonning again.

ORDER Number :DR106452658
    Order Date : 26-SEP-05

Yap Men Fei
    MALAYSIA

2. Yapmf

Yapmf Guest

My system can only boot to windows in safe mode.

I think there are some really bad bug in there, as i can see in a second some memory code in hex just before system went off. the system went off after the line for loading mouse driver

3. MattD

MattD Guest

help! I am having the same problem. Attempted to clone today as well on a Windows ME system, clicked reboot, and the computer turns off.

I cannot restart the machine either, except in SAFE mode which renders many of my other programs useless.

I'd really appreciate some help with this one.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Yapmf & MattD,

It sounds as if you rebooted into Windows with both the original and cloned drives connected at the same time.

After the cloning process has completed the computer is supposed to shut down. This enables you to remove the original drive and swap over to the newly cloned drive (remember to set it to Master) before booting back into Windows. Windows (all versions) throws a fit if it finds two active primary system drives connected to the same computer.

If you want to use the original drive as backup storage on the same computer then boot from your Windows 98/Me Startup floppy disk and carry out a fdisk followed by a format on that drive.

Regards

5. Yapmf

Yapmf Guest

Hello, Menorcaman

sorry for confusing you. this is my first time using TI9. OK let me explain again, i was doing a disk clone from a 40GB to 120GB disk. if i remember correctly this cloning process required my system to be shutdown and boot up again to do the clonning right? it is during the shutting down process that TI9 made my system power off, as if someone press the switch!
    all the the system fans stops! when i switch back on my system , it try to boot a while before it power off the computer. The clonning process was never started, altough it try to do in the first place.

i am appealing to you guys in acronis, please let me know what are the systems files changed during the preparation of clonning process, so that i can get this files from another sources.

unfortunately win98 does not have this system repair features, reinstalling win98 would wipe off lot of third party files from c:\program files directory

PLEASE HELP!!! THANKS YOU in advance.

6. The Devils

The Devils Guest

i found the solution to undo True Image 9.0 madness!!!

you need to edit 2 files : msconfig and regedit

1) msconfig
    start -> run -> msconfig

be careful here, if this is you first time,
    observe all the ticks first before pressing any keys

Use tab or alt+tab key to navigate
    you need to remove all entries relating to acronis in
    system.ini , win.ini, startup tabs
    (use spacebar in startup tab)

use tab key to apply button and enter

do not reboot pc now

next run -> regedit

move down to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software

you will acronis entry, move highlight to it and press delete

thrn from Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion

check thru' Run, Run-, RunOnce, RunOnceEx, RunServices, RunServicesOnce
    and delete all occurence of ACRONIS!!!

exit the registry editor

restart your pc now

when your windows boot up , uninstall the True Image 9
    in the control panel -> add/remove programs

7. Yapmf

Yapmf Guest

The funny thing i found out is True Image 9.0, disable the virtual memory before the starting of clonning process. my win98 swap having 0 byte size with date and time timestamp i run the clonning disk.

no wonder my system cannot boot!!!!
    even it can boot, my system frequently getting out of memory.

i trully regret purchasing True Image 9.0 it really an alpha version or worse a malware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.