Image size - Can someone explain this mystery?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DARYLTRN, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARYLTRN

DARYLTRN Registered Member

Same source HDD (Maxtor 80GB, only one FAT32 partition with WIN98 SE), same data (13.7 GB, not 1 bit less, not 1 bit more), same compression level (normal), same target drive (Iomega USB 2.0 - 160 GB).

Two DIFFERENT results:

Backup # 1 with TI8 (using its rescue disc)=> 3 images, for a total size of 10.2 GB.

Backup # 2 with TI9 build 2259 (using its rescue disc), made just a few minutes after backup # 1 ended => 2 images, for a total size of 7.52 GB.

And, although I got the usual frustrating error ("completed with errors") in the second case, the images created by TI9 successfully passed the verification.

Can someone explain why the size of the former backup is considerably bigger than the size of the latter, considering that NO data has been added or removed from the source between the two attempts, and the compression level has remained UNCHANGED?

I must precise that something like this already happened to me once or twice in the past, when TI9 had not been released yet, and I was still using TI8.
    In a couple of cases, in fact, TI8 produced two backups which were considerably different in size, even if such backups had been made just a few minutes apart, and no data had been added to/deleted from the source in the meanwhile.

Thank you in advance.

PS I forgot to say: I am talking about FULL backups, not incremental.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DARYLTRN,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Please download and install the latest build (2273) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please also check each partition of your hard drives (including external one) by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

After installing the update and checking your hard drives please create new full images both from under Windows and when booted from Bootable Rescue CD (created using build 2273 of Acronis True Image 9.0) and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then please collect the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Exact sizes of the new full images;

Send all the collected files and information to support@acronis.com along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.