Slow backup speed

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jasta12, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasta12

jasta12 Registered Member

When I make an exact image of my 90 GB notebook (1GHZ) hard drive, it takes 4-5 hours. I have converted the USB from 1.0 to 2.0. I have tried Seagate and Iomega external drives, which both come in FAT 32. In this format, the backup only takes 2 hours. Since my primary drive is NTFS, I reformated the externals to NTFS. Then, the backup takes 4-5 hours. I used medium compression. Am I doing something wrong? Should I use FAT 32 or NTFS on the external? What is the difference?

Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jasta12,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

Please also check each partition of your hard drives (including external ones) by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If that does not help then please provide me with the more detailed information on the problem.

Tell me whether you creating your image from under Windows or when booted from special Bootable Rescue CD.

Please also tell me how much time does it actually take (not the estimated time shown by Acronis True Image 8.0, but the real time required for the image creation) to create an image saving it to both Seagate and Iomega hard drives, both from under Windows and when booted from Bootable Rescue CD.

What operating system is installed on your PC?

Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. RMedure

RMedure Guest

I have a similar issue. I performed normal compression backup of my SATA drive(s). It's about 85GB of data and took 4+ hours to backup to a network drive. The bottleneck is the ethernet connection. I was expecting about 10MB/s transfer ... but I notice from the task manager that network utilization is average about 35%. I'm wondering why it's not sending data any faster.

4. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

Hi
    FWIW
    I backup to an external USB2.0 hardrive (Freecom Classic 80Gb HD - NTFS) and TI takes about 17 minutes to backup an NTFS 60GB HD which is about 1/2 full. Your 4 hours is inordinately long for some reason but I would not suspect TI as being the culprit.
    HTH
    John

5. RMedure

RMedure Guest

What else could be the bottleneck. I can't imagine any thing else on the system running slower than 10 Mbytes (100Mbits) /sec.

6. rmedure

rmedure Registered Member

Update ...

Well you could knock me over with a feather. The network drive IS the bottleneck with a software RAID 5, it's sustained data transfer rate is less than 4Mbytes/sec!! That's awful.

Well so it's not ATI.

Oh yeah ... and sorry for hi-jacking you're thread! :cool:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  7. jasta12

jasta12 Registered Member

I checked Task Manager, during backup, and it shows 42 processes, including something called fdm.exe (25,000k) and Spy Sweeper (20,000k). Do you think these processes are slowing down the backup? If not, what else can I check? My Inspiron 8100 is only 1Ghz.

8. wal

wal Registered Member

I had the slow imaging problem at first attempt. My P4-3200 with SATA 160G (only 6G occupied) had a projected imaging time of 7 hours and still counting! I defragged the disk and upgraded to latest build of True Image and it then took 5 minutes to create image (to another internal HDD).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.