Kaspersky Anti-Hacker

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Fedorov999, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

Okay, Sygate bought out, decided to see what else was any good after many good Sygate years.... tried me lifetime license of OutPost Pro, not happy with it, machine felt slower etc..... tried a few other firewalls, eventually found Kerio 4.20 which I've been running about 1 week now and liking a lot - only to discover today that they plan on discontinuing it!!! o_O

More searching and trialling... I'm behind a wireless NAT router so as long as I've got good outgoing application protection I feel pretty safe and happy.

Kaspersky Anti-Hacker - been using the Anti-Virus for many years so figured it's up to version 1.8 now so I'd give it a chance.

Hey all, am I missing something really obvious here but why do I not see more postings about this firewall, painless installation, was so easy to use that I actually READ the helpfile to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious! :)

VERY light on resources, 500k to 7mb seems around average memory usage, nice clean interface... so far this is the best I've seen for a while, quite similar to Outpost with the rules creation etc....

Call me an idiot but why isn't this talked about more, I know the earlier versions probably had many issues but hey it's a pretty new product compared to others and at least Kaspersky haven't been taken over or started discontinuing their products yet!!! :eek:

Fedorov.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The reason is that, while KAH filters incoming traffic well enough (the "anti-hacker" part) it is poor at handling outgoing traffic with dismal leaktest performance (though the updated version in the KIS2006 beta is apparently quite an improvement).

However if you have it installed, you can run these tests for yourself to check this.

3. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

Yep, I'd agree with that. Although earlier versions used to lock up with P2P or when you had a large number of applications which could access the net.

If your happy with it, keep using it. It's not a bad firewall. Kaspersky always allow upgrades during the licence period, so if you improve it's rating on the leaktests, you can updated it.

4. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

i have kaspersky antivirus and i don't want the kis version would it be good if i get the kaspersky anti hack seperate is it the same as the kis?

5. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

You can have the firewall on it's own if you wish, there is an option for it.

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Then don't install Kis 2006, install Kav 2006 instead. Anyway it is a little premature to to talk about Kis 2006, it's not even close to a finished product (although nice already).

Fedorov was talking about Antihacker 1.8, and the AH in Kis is different from 1.8.

7. Justine

Justine Guest

Hi!
    I would be very thankful if someone answer important question for me:
    After expiring personal license for Anti-Hacker, would KAH still be fully functional (but only without possibility for update/upgrade) o_O Or does programme stop working?? I found some very controversial statements on Net.
    Thanks in advance! :)

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

It would be logical, that KAH disables itself AFTER the expiring date.
    What's the point of expiration when KAH is still working ?
    Not good for Kaspersky (money) and not good for the user (protection).

I would test this myself and keep KAH until it expires and see what KAH does and share that info with Wilders.
    In case KAH doesn't work anymore, which would be normal, I would keep ZoneAlarm Free in reserve to replace KAH.
    After that you can always look for another firewall.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  9. Don Pelotas

It will stop working. :)

10. Justine

Justine Guest

Thank you fo the answer, ErikAlbert!

That wouldn't be logical, I think. No other firewall vendor does that, AFAIK.
    Neither ZA, nor Outpost/Sygate/Norton/Kerio/you_name_it disables itself after the expiring date! You can use what you PAID for. If you want to update/upgrade, than you have to pay again - that's normal. It's not AV with everyday updates of the base. I use Kaspersky AV and I have only the best experience with it. But if the previous is policy for their Anti-Hacker - than their policy sux. I asked that because I'll have to replace Sygate (Symantec, bye,bye) so I have to decide, but don't want someone to force me to pay again after 12 months.

--------------------------

EDIT: Okay, I've already written what I think about it (I'm sure Iam not the only one) when I saw your answer, Don. :) Thank you! I think I'll purchase Outpost (probably) and have freedom... blah blah ;)

11. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

But, The test date is "(last global update : October 13 2004)". Isn't important? :)

12. Sxperm

Sxperm Registered Member

I like KAV 5 but I don't like KIS 2006 beta. I tried it and don't impressed in firewall performance (just put KAH in package)
    I'm not geek but this is my own experience with KIS 2006 beta :D

13. controler

controler Guest

try this then ,,, install KIS 2006 , then install a comercial keylogger.
    KAV AV might not detect the keylogger but KAV PG will in most cases.

controler

14. Don Pelotas

You can't judge Kis2006 yet, it's not even an official beta yet and it won't be released for another 3-4 months.

15. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

That's right !

16. Sxperm

Sxperm Registered Member

Sorry to make you disappoint my friend. You said right, I shouldn't judge it coz it's not official beta. :D

17. controler

controler Guest

going out on a limb here but I think KIS2006 Beta right now is better then
    Ewido :D

controler

18. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I've recently been playing with KAH and was very impressed with how light it is but I totally agree with you, it really sucks if it stops working after key expiry.

19. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

If Antihacker stops working after your paid license expires, it's something new they recently added.

I have an older version with an expired license saved on CD and I've run it with the expired license. It works fine; I just can't upgrade it.

20. Justine

Justine Guest

Now I'm confused.
    Don, are you sure ?
    I must say, on the official Kasp. forum there is no thread about KAH license, there are some questions but no answers. And there are opposite statements in other places.
    Think that's not so unimportant. Please if anyone else used KAH for AFTER expiry date (regulary, with all functions on) to confirm any of these two versions.
    Do I really have to call MOCKBA ? :D

21. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi everybody,

How well does the "stealth mode" work for you to be invisible in KAH? I am also looking at purchasing KAV & KAH stand a lone apps. I see they offer a KAV Personal Pro also, has some nice features.

In each and everyone's opinion's; do you think buying a suite or buying the products as stand a lone are better? I have read articles where they say if you buy a suite, you are getting cheated so to speak. The articles suggested buying the products you wanted as stand a lone. I don't know how true this is, so from everyone's in put, we all can decipher the difference for our selves.

Thanks for all your comments!

~Rilla927~:D

22. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well i know the IDS in KAV passes at grc, i believe KAH would do just as well. as for suites vs. seperate apps. its a personal preference. suites ensure compatibility but not every component will be as strong as teh last. i personally use seperate apps to achieve a layered security setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.