Let's Provide Visibility to Budding AV products

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by abhi_mittal, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Most of the times, we all discuss popular and robust AV products like Nod32, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Norton, McAfee, F-prot, Dr. Web, F-secure etc. etc.
    We also discuss popular Freewares like Avast, Antivir PE, BD Free, AVG etc.

Sipping over my Whisky, I just got an idea. I think we should test out upcoming and buddying AV products in a test environment. Testing the product will make its short-comings evident. This feedback can be channeled righteously to the developers of the product as action-points. This will eventually lead to a market with more and more efficient AV products.

We should all remember that all of today's popular products are good because some of us gave them feedback. Its time to provide visibility to today's new products.

Let's contribute to making a more stronger and reliable market for security products.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Sipping over my Cognac, I just got another idea.

Firstly we create ONE fingerprint database = SUM of the fingerprint databases of ALL existing AV scanners and we remove of course all double fingerprints.
    Secondly we add the heuristics of NOD32.
    Thirdly we put it all together, call it "MSAV beta1" and give it to M$.
    M$ will have at least ONE good security software.

3. abhi_mittal

Thats a nice one cuz I hate MS with all ferocity...I work for a company thats a direct competitor for MS in the "Large enterprise software" space.

...but I am very serious about this one. It calls for market development. I am talkng about consumer market and SMB space.

Lets do it guys!

4. abhi_mittal

It will be a monumental effort and set the stage for the AV market.

5. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say.

Isn't all you are basically planning is to have people beta test products? Combined with developers that will listen to you?

Isn't that what people here do anyways? mks_vir, and vba32 seem to be examples of such.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The newer and lesser known security products get tested and used and reported on here all the time. Some of them go on to be pretty good products and some do not. But that is why we try them out. ;)

7. abhi_mittal

I feel that lesser known products get lesser visibility. We as Wilders can attempt to channelize our feedback to the people who work on this products. I feel these people need direction...lets give it to them!

Many of the people on this forum are very senoir..and experts on security issues, their advice is indispensable on the product developement side!

8. abhi_mittal

Time to think about this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.