Run-time Error '13' Type mismatch

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by snapdragin, May 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Javacool,

i seem to be having a bit of trouble with the new version of SpywareGuard 2.1. i keep getting this Run-time Error '13' Type mismatch error message when i open SpywareGuard. It doesn't matter if i am checking for updates, or clicking on the options or tools button, or just opening SG from the desktop icon to restart it, within a min after it is open this error 13 pops up and the GUI shows diagonal lines going through it, starts to turn white and then shuts itself down....disappearing from the systray and also not showing in the Task Manager.

here's my pc's specs:

XP-Home with SP1, PentIV, 1.60GHz, 512MB ram
    (all security updates except for 811493)
    Opera 6.5 (build 1140) with Sun Java RE 1.4 (default browser)
    IE6 Sp1 (with IE-Spyad for restricted zone)
    D-Link router
    Sygate Personal Firewall 5.0 (build 1150)

(on-startup)
    NOD32 (Amon and Pop3)
    TrojanHunter's Guard
    SpywareGuard 2.1

(on-demand)
    GAV beta 3 & 4(on-demand)
    SpywareBlaster v.2.5.3
    SpybotS&D v.1.2 (Definitions Date 5/17/03)
    AdAware6-Plus (build 162) *AdWatch used on demand only
    TrojanHunter v.3.5 (build 707)
    TDS (on demand)
    PortExplorer v1.350

dsostop2
    htastop

i was not sure if this error message has been reported before or not...i searched but didn't have any luck.

Thank you for any help. :)

snap

oops..forgot to add, yes, i do scan frequently with GAV4 as i am part of the testing team. i have done a scan with the other programs about a day ago. Hope that helps. :)

*fixed info

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Can't duplicate it here, Snap (hello there!).

I don't run TH, Sygate or AA, though.

Have you tried disabling TH Guard and trying it?

Is your AA the free one or the "Plus" version? If the latter, you might try disabling it and trying SG again.

HTH Pete

3. snapdragin

Hi there spy1 :D

Yes, i have TH's Guard disabled along with Amon...and i don't use AdAware's Adwatch except on rare occasions (dont run it along side SpywareGuard or anything).

i searched abit for more information on the Run-time 13 'mismatch' error message and it seems to pertain to language (character, numeric) settings. But that's as far as i've been able to get (snap limited in programming knowledge LOL)

i just tried SG again; opened it through the desktop icon and it minimizes to the system tray...then if i leave it sit there and don't open the GUI, it is fine. LOL! But if i open the GUI, i don't even have to touch anything...within a few seconds the Run-time 13 error messages comes up again and after i click the "ok" it closes SG and the icon in the system try disappears.

i don't think uninstalling and reinstalling is going to fix it, but i'll give that a go and see.

Thanks for looking into it spy1...i appreciate it!!

snap

4. snapdragin

Hi Javacool - i believe i have the reason for the Run-Time '13' mismatch error message i am getting with SG. v2.1

i first uninstalled it again, rebooted, and re-downloaded a new file...then installed it with everything else disabled. Then i slowly went through the disabling and re-enabling of the different programs (Amon, THGuard, Filechecker, etc) with SG open. No error message's at all. Then i disabled the "Download Protection" and the "Browser Hijack Protection" options within SG...and i got the exact same error message within a min afterwards.

To narrow it down further, i just disabled the above two separately...and the one that caused the Run-Time '13' mismatch error message was the disabling of the Browser Hijack Protection option.

i tried it about 5 times after that, and each time i disabled the Browser Hijack Protection option, the error message came up.

Why it is doing that i don't know...but at least i know "what" is causing it.

Is there any thoughts, other than my keeping that option enabled, that you might have that could fix that?
    i don't mind having the Browser Hijack Protection feature enabled...but i would like the opportunity to disable it if needed.

Thank you,

snap

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hello,

Snap and I were conversing and she asked me to do a test.
    She thought she had narrowed a Run-time error13 to the following.

In SG, disable Browser Hijack Protection, exit the SG program itself, restart it and leave the GUI OPEN, then wait and see if error pops up.

I CAN CONFIRM EXACTLY THAT, that Run-time error occurs under those conditions, but does not IF BHP is enabled.

I tried this test twice and each time I got the error when I disabled BHP only. All other programs security wise running, no probs AT ALL, just that one.

EDIT: The error DOES NOT OCCUR INSTANTLY, you have to leave the GUI open for a while, it takes around 30-60 seconds

Cheers, TAS

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Thanks for the reports! I believe I have narrowed down the bug - I'll post soon with more details.

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    In ours whether the Browser Hikack Protection is enabled or disabled we get the same problem - "Runtime error 429 - ActiveX component can't create object."

We will wait for the fix.

8. javacool

That bug I still have not been able to replicate, but I have succeeded in replicating the run-time error 13 issue. I'll keep trying. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

9. Q Section

Thank you.

10. TopDog

TopDog Guest

Just throwing mine into the mix, Im also getting a ( run-time error. '429': ) ActiveX component can't create object.

Running:
    Windows 2000 Pro with SP3 installed
    Zone Alarm Pro

11. Q Section

Hello Everyone
    In regards to "Runtime error 429" please this thread with a solution that worked for us here:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=9645

We hope it works for you as good as it worked for us. :D

12. firefli44

firefli44 Registered Member

I'm having a similar problem. I just installed and ran
    the software immediately after installing and running
    MRU Blaster. I'm running XP home edition.

The message I receive is this:

"Component MSCOMCTL.ocx or one of it's dependencies
    is not correctly registered. A file is missing or damaged.

Suggestions greatfully appreciated.

Regards...

JD

13. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi firefli44,

Welcome at Wilders, :)

On the SpywareBlaster site you will find this direct download link:
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/missingfilesetup.exe

Download and run that exe and let us know if that solves your problem.

Regards,

Pieter

14. javacool

For now, please try this alternate download location:

http://www.wilderssecurity.net/missingfilesetup.exe

Best regards,

-Javacool

15. firefli442

firefli442 Guest

Thanks for your speedy reply. I found that download
    fix about two minutes after I posted about my problem.
    It worked like a dream as does the program. My apologies for my impulsiveness in posting before reading
    earlier posts in this thread. Your patience and consideration is much appreciated.

Regards...

JD

16. jrittvo

jrittvo Registered Member

Is there a fix yet for the Type 13 mismatch?

17. javacool

A fix is being worked on. For now, just keeping Browser Hijack Protection enabled will prevent the error from occuring. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

18. jrittvo

jrittvo Registered Member

Thanks for the fast reply. I notice that with Browser Hijack Protection running, after several hours, process explorers indicate something like 50,000 handles for SG on my machine. I don't really know what open handles are, but 50,000 of anything sure seems like it would reflect a resource hit to my system. Can you shed any light on this? That is why I've been wanting to keep it turned off. Thanks again.

19. Amerk_5

Amerk_5 Registered Member

Any updates on a fix for the run-time error '13'? I only run IE for the windows update so I'd like to be able to only run Real-time scanning without SG crashing.

20. Tim

Tim Guest

I just installed the SG and after rebooting XP Pro... I got the runtime error 13... Just waiting for the fix to come available...

21. javacool

The fix is still in testing - I hope to have it out in a couple of weeks, max. :)

Thanks for waiting!

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.