Advice: Nod32 vs F-Secure vs Kaspersky

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Puzzled1, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puzzled1

Puzzled1 Guest

hello all,

I need some advice really. Can you tell me which AV out of nod32, f-secure and kaspersky would best fulfil the following criteria:

high detection rate for viruses and trojans
    easy to understand interface
    light on system resources - important as its for a laptop (1gb ram, 1.6ghz dothan; powerful but still no desktop right!)
    compatible with outpost and ewido security suite

thanks,

Simon.

2. NotPuzzled1

NotPuzzled1 Guest

Sorry to say, but you're wasting your time asking this question. Software is highly subject to personal taste, and every system is different. Try them all yourself; there really is no other way, even if other people will pretend that there is.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

And there is no counting-out rhyme for AV softwares either.

4. Puzzled1

Puzzled1 Guest

ok, let me re-phrase the question. Barring the issue of 'better', which provides a good compromise bettween detection rates and lightness. I am interested in KAV but have heard that it can really slow down you system. At the moment i am thinking of oging with f-secure because it is meant to be light. Nod32 im not sure about as i have heard there are issue with its quarantine folder and sometimes it doesnt give any options to delete a troajn once detected.

I know its 'all down to the individual' but i would really like to hear how people using the above AVs find them.

Simon.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

imho, kav is lighter than f-secure and the extra engines in f-secure dont improve detection significantly. mcafee provides teh compromise between kav and nod32. nod32 is light but offer a myriad of option, KAV on the other hand is heavier but uses a slider for easy options (Maximum, Recommended, and Speedy).

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

All IMHO from trying NOD and KAV recently and F-Secure last year...

In the Wild detection virus rates of all of them seems great (put it this way, dumb users would be the dominant factor in catching a virus with these 3). KAV/F-secure both have great "other nasties" (who used that term on here ?) detection.

Interfaces, all are good. IMHO I like KAV best, F-secure seems designed for the non techy and NOD has a minimalist look n feel. All very logical that requires minimal reading of help files to understand where and what the options/settings are.

I run a 800mhz laptop and there is a minimal performance hit with nod 2.5, but there was some (but still not too bad) with Kav 4.5 and Kav 5 without iStreams on (with istreams on my laptop was unproductively slow).

F-Secure when I tried it was even worse than Kav 4.5 when I tested last year and too slow for me.

Performance trends were same for on demand and on access.

Ta Nick

7. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

Having used F-Secure and KAV extensively, I'd have to agree - KAV is lighter than F-Secure. I don't have any experience with NOD32 so can't comment.

But that is one powerful laptop and will be more than capable of running any AV suite. I guess the simple answer is to trial all 3 and see which suites you best - they are all first rate choices.

Ned

8. Puzzled1

Puzzled1 Guest

thanks you all very much for the advice. I think im gonna go with kaspersky; i had the impression it was a resource hog but that seems to be an exageration.

unpuzzled1.

9. javagreen

javagreen Registered Member

I dont know other people's experience with F-Secure, but I wholeheartedly recommend F-Secure. It isnt heavy and mostly always benefits from the multiple scan engines. I'm currently using F-Secure Client Security 6.0

10. NotPuzzled1

NotPuzzled1 Guest

OK, that is a better way to phrase the question. I have used KAV 4.5 and 5.0 extensively, and finally gave it up exactly because of what you said--it slowed down certain things on my system very dramatically. It became literally unbearable, and I found myself disabling KAV's real-time scanner very often, just to perform file-intensive operations of any kind, to defrag, etcetera.

Some people claim that this doesn't happen on their system, but I would stake my life on the fact that they just haven't noticed. And that's fine--if you can live with it, more power to you. I can't, and I won't.

I now use NOD32 not because it's "best", but because I can stand it. There are many things I dislike about it (particularly the interface, and the fact that configuration is a pain in the ass). I also don't trust it as much as I did KAV. But it's still better for me because at least I can keep it installed and running without wanting to put my fist through my monitor.

So there you have it.

11. NotPuzzled1

NotPuzzled1 Guest

By the way, I did configure KAV to death, so it wasn't that. I wasn't using default settings, nor did I have it set to scan everything in the world. Just the opposite.

And I didn't use the term "resource usage". I couldn't care less how much RAM or CPU KAV used--that wasn't my issue. My issue was that it got in my face constantly.

But hey, if you use it and can live with it, go for it. I did strongly prefer KAV's interface and general operability over NOD32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.