Kav 5.0.383---NEVER AGAIN

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bigc73542, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

To start with I want to explain that I am not a newbie useing antivirus products. I usually have at least five different av's installed a week trying them out to see how well the behave and do their job. I have tried every version of Kav for quite a while, the latest 5.0.383. I installed it and used the recommended settings which I don't usually do. I always have it to alert me so I can make the decision as to what I want deleted. Especially with Kav because it absolutly come up with false positives once in a while. Well after installing it and browsing a bit I performed an on demand scan and it detected something and deleted it and my comp immediatly turned off. Well this great saviour to mankind Kav antivirus detected some system drivers as malware and deleted them. Kav usually saves a copy of what it gets rid of which is great if your computer will start back up to restore the files it deleted. It is inevetible in my opinion that any av that puts so many crap signatures in it's database has to be getting close to detecting a lot of innocent files as infected. I know I won't use Kav antivirus again, I can't afford to have a trigger happy antivirus deleting files out of my several thousand dollar computer. There are several antivirus programs available that detect almost as well as Kav that don't have the false positive problem like Kav. Well enough of the rant, just had to get it off of my chest. Some good advice though, if you use Kav make sure that you have a good back up of your system because Kav can jump up and bite you in the Butt at any time in my experience. :mad:

bigc.

P.S.
    I forgot to mention that Kav caused me to have to do a complete format and restore to correct this av's screwup.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Not a good experience, bigc :(

Sometimes I installed KAV to see the differences between the new versions and never had this problem. Maybe I has had luck or this new version have some problem...

I will only test again KAV when the v6.0 will be released...

3. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Big C sorry to hear about the rebuild!! I havent tried Kav, its not that bad really is it. I wasd thinking of giving it a tried, but if i behaves like that i stick to Nod and McAfee they tpp have there stange behavier>take care T

4. bigc73542

Kav in the past has been a good av but I personally believe it is not really getting better but it is on it's way to be "one of those bloated av's" .I could be wrong but I don't think so.

5. FatalChaos

FatalChaos Registered Member

I have had similar problems with other AV's. The problem is that some types of viruses integrate themselves into neccessary system files, and kaspersky, being unable to disinfect them, deletes them.

6. bigc73542

That is not what happened in this case, my comp had just been reformated two days ago and was a clean as they get. Kav just flatly screwed up.

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

And still not with standing what BigC just said, sounds like a case of can't cure the patient so kill him. :p

I call it a fatal error. :(

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

At least the malware won't spread. Thats taking one for the team.

9. mercurie

EXCELLENT :D :D

10. Uffbros

Uffbros Registered Member

Why didn't you have it configured to prompt you for action instead of letting it decide what to deleteo_O I never let any antivirus make that call. In this case you could have told it to ignore it. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

11. bigc73542

I usually do but I got to trusting, never again :doubt:

12. mercurie

Average user should not have to make such a choice or is KAV just for the pc savy. :doubt:

13. bigc73542

It is just a stupid program and does what it is set to do, in this case was my fault. But it never should have detected critical system files as malware that is an unacceptable behaviour that I have never had any other av make on one of my computers. And I hope no one else will have the same problem, but if it did it once it will do it again. :doubt:

14. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Sorry to hear about that bigc. It always sux plain and simple when a program hoses your OS.

Good to see you back and posting. :)

Jag

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

He set it up as the average user would use it default settings no tweaking.

16. FatalChaos

FatalChaos Registered Member

You would think so wouldn't you? Well i reformated my pc a few weeks ago, started reinstalling everything. Luckily the first things I installed was Kaspersky and kerio 2.15 (i use ZA 6.0 now, seems pretty good). A few hours in i start getting hellkern attacks. It hadn't even been 24 hours since reformat yet, and ppl were already trying to send me hellkern attacks. It has died down a bit though.

17. bigc73542

Yep that internet is a busy place and not all of it safe :doubt:

18. bigc73542

I didn't start this thread to bash Kav, I have had pretty good luck with Kav in the past. I only posted this so users of the newer versions of Kav could be aware of what it is capable of. And there is no way I would ever suggest that you set Kav to just delete with out asking what you want to do with the file it detects as malware. Well all of you can go ahead and discuss this problem but I have said about all I have to say on the subject. Surf safe and have fun (life is short) ;) ;)

bigc

19. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Interesting. If it was a system file, it must be deleting them on thousands of machines using the same version of the Windows operating system. Which operating system are you running? I would like to check on KAV's forum to see who else is experiencing this problem.

I have not myself upgraded yet. I usually wait at least several weeks, if not months, before I move to the lastest versions. This should be interesting though, if system files are being deleted. Looking forward to find out more about this.

Thanks,
    Rich

20. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

have u contacted kaspersky labs about this? if kav detected a fp in system drivers then that counts as a serious problem.

21. bigc73542

22. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks bigc. Well there are plenty of users running KAV on XPSP2 machines. So, it will be interesting to see how many encountered/are encountering the same problem.

Cya,
    Rich

23. bigc73542

Heck I might be the lucky first :mad:

24. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Sorry to hear this, bigc. I've had fairly good luck with KAV on clean installs (non-betas) - and I intend on staying with it - but it's not for everyone.

25. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hmmmm .... users have been reporting various problems, e.g. network issues, slowdowns, but no one so far seems to have this problem. If it was a system file, then it had to have affected at least some other users. Very strange. Well, maybe Don can shed some light. Certainly, this problem needs to be tracked down one way or another.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.