new installation - no icon?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by beethoven, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I installed the latest version new on a pc yesterday and everything seemed to run smoothly.
    This morning after reboot I noticed
    • the task icon does not show up. While Nod is running in the background as confirmed by taskmanager, I don't see the icon in the taskbar. Is there any way to change that as I would like to see the icon to feel safer.
    • when updating I noticed the "old" update confirmation window appearing in the middle of the screen. My own NOD used to show this until the last program update and now I only see the update advice as a pop up over the task bar. This obviously might be related to the first issue and I am wondering whether something went wrong during yesterday's installation?

Any advice? o_O

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would uninstall NOD, reboot. Delete the Eset folder in program files, reboot.
    Try a new install at that point.

3. beethoven

Never had to uninstall NOD before - how do I close/ disable Nod prior to uninstall or is that not necessary? Is add/remove programs in windows the way to do it?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Just use the add/remove programs to uninstall. No need to shut anything down.

5. zashita

zashita Registered Member

No need to unload Nod32 before.
    To uninstall, you can use add/remove programs, or the 'uninstall' link in the start menu (start -> softwares -> eset -> uninstall)
    Then restart your computer, and delete the 'c:\progran files\eset' folder

6. beethoven

:D Uninstalled, reinstalled and have my taskbar icon back :D
    Will have to reboot a few more times to test but things look good.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Nice symphony to hear beethoven. :D

8. fosius

fosius Registered Member

When I ran computer today NOD32 showed me a classic message box about updated signatures, too...

9. beethoven

After having run Nod normally the whole day, I just rebooted to see what would happen. Unfortunately, the task icon again did not reappear :mad:
    As before Nod is running in the background and going into programs. I can manually open the Nod Control centre via the run program/Eset folder but on my other PC it all runs automatically. Is there tweaking that I am not aware of that is correct on my own pc but differently adjusted on the new one?
    I would like NOD to start automatically when rebooting, show me the splash screen and then minimise to the little icon in the task bar (right hand side next to clock) without me doing anything.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you use WinXP, couldn't it be that the icon is set to hide when inactive?

11. beethoven

Sounded like a good idea but I had checked that already. Both systems are configured identically with the "hide when inactive button" not ticked.

I was also wondering whether PG is somehow interfering but I have now both programs on the permit list (nod32krn.exe & nod32kui.exe) with no change in behaviour.

I tested to change the "hide when inactive button" and then selectively allowed nod32kui.exe to show always. The first reboot was fine and the icon appeared but the second reboot I was back to square one with the Nod Control centre in customise notifications for icons not showing up as current but only under past items and consequently nothing in the right part of the task bar.

Can someone clarify what nod32krn.exe is doing and what the role is of nod32kui.exe. I also notice that the cpu usage is different on both pc. While on my No 1 pc krn.exe is using 8.8K, the other pc is using more than twice despite less progs running. Kui.exe is using 2.8K on no 1 but only 1.5K on No 2. :oops:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  12. beethoven

I am about to uninstall Nod again, thinking the problem is with the dl file and might download a fresh file from a different server.

Before doing so, one last question: Is there anywhere to configure with Nod that the control center is running at startup separately from the kernel? o_O

13. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

H Beethoven,

I would do the following:

Download a FRESH copy of Nod32 from www.nod32.com

Uninstall your current version.

REBOOT your Computer.

Remove the Eset Folder from C Drive> Program Files.

Install the FRESH copy of Nod32 that you downloaded above.

Let us know how you go…

Cheers :D

14. beethoven

OK - done that - still the same issue. Whatever I do, whichever file I seem to download, this pc does not want to run the control center on start up in the taskbar as icon. It momentarily flashes up in the main task bar (seconds after the splash screen) and then vanishes. o_O o_O o_O

15. Blackspear

I'll have to wait for Marcos to come along with further suggestions.

16. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

This approach from Microsoft's knowledge base may fix your problem. Although just shutting down and restarting explorer in step 2 and 3 have been reported as enough to solve it.

1. Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values from the following registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

2. Open Task Manager, click the Processes tab, click Explorer.exe, and then click End Process.

3. In Task Manager, click File, click New Task, type explorer, and then click OK.
    Microsoft Source:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283084

17. beethoven

Firepost,

thanks for that link but my issue seems to be different. I don't have too many past icons cluttering the field, all current icons apart from NOD appear normally. Just Nod seems to be reluctant to make an appearance.

18. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

Okay. Although I mentioned it because it IS one of the fixes for the missing icon(s) issue . You might want to try it anyway.

19. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Beethoven,

Do you logon automatically or do you have a password set when you logon?

Bandicoot.

20. pepito

pepito Registered Member

I'm ocassionally having this problem also (no icon in the system tray) on a few different XP systems I look after.

Can't find a pattern so far. Restarting the system until it appears is what I've been doing. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesnt seem to fix it. It's not due to XP hidden icons.

Important thing is that I dont think it affects your system protection (confirmed by a quick visit to http://eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm) so it hasnt bothered me too much.

21. beethoven

Good question - the pc that works fine has a password but the new one is on automatic log on. Could that be the reason and how to deal with it then?

22. Blackspear

I doubt it, every PC that we sell loads without a password. I haven't seen your issue to date.

Are these PC's connecting by Wireless?

We will eventually get to the bottom of your problem ;) :D

23. pepito

pepito Registered Member

For what its worth, my systems are password protected with auto login using TweakUI from Powertoys.

24. beethoven

@ pepito - thanks,by now I am just trying to clutch at straws

@ blackspear- the pc are networked but via cable not wireless

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.