Netveda configuration questions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Iangh, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I have a wireless router with two wireless laptops and a hard-wired PC.

PC has Netveda, laptop A has Kerio free and printer attached, laptop B has ZA free. All PCs have avast free running.

Configured PC as internet adpater, and ignored WAN miniport as that is to do with dial-up. Nothing is checked for router as PC is not an internet gateway.

Now, if I want to get file and printer sharing I assume I create a Network group to encompass the three PCs and allow traffic both ways, all apps/services.

Standard stuff BUT it doesn't work. The laptops cannot see the PC and vice-versa. Allow all traffic and things spring to life so it is something to do with Netveda settings. A previous poster unchecked file and printer sharing, etc, but that can't be right as he said as you are wide-open unless you are sat behind a router. Is this what I should do? Surely not?

Has anybody got Netveda running in this home config? I'm stuffed. I like the filtering for my son's PC but he won't be happy without printer access.

The laptops happily see each other.

If it's a fault with the product, fine then it needs fixing. If it's a fault with the user instructions that's a shame as it's really neat to stop kids wandering.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Ian

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

How did you define your rule(s) in terms of the IP's? Did you allow for the broadcast IP?

Regards,

CrazyM

3. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I configured a Home network of all local IP 192.168.123.1 to 192.168.123.254 under Groups, and under advanced internet firewall I set local and remote networks as Home and gave unlimted access both ways.

I'm beginning to think you can either configure it as solo or gateway whereby all traffic passes thru one pc. I don't want to set one PC as a gateway.

Theoretically, my rule should allow all types of local traffic between the Netveda PC and the laptops. Theoreticallyo_O

Great product but PITA to set-up. If a solution isn't forthcoming soon I'll ditch it.

Ian

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

You will need to allow for the UDP broadcasts associated with file/printer sharing which means including the broadcast IP for your LAN - 192.168.123.255 Does Netveda allow you to use the subnet instead of a range?

Regards,

CrazyM

5. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Crazym

Yep, I can set a sub-range.

You have a plan?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Ian

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

You will need to add 192.168.123.255 to the original range you posted.
    Or you could try entering the subnet in the rule instead 192.168.123.0/255.255.255.0

Regards,

CrazyM

7. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Thanks CrazyM

I entered the subnet and all is working.

Not sure why it won't let me use individual computer IP addresses but never mind as my router requires IP and MAC addresses to get access.

Thanks again,
    Ian

8. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

A follow-up for anybody following this thread.

I installed Netveda on my PC that unfortunately has my wife as a user as I could not bribe one of the kids to take Mum on their PC.

Anyway, the user switching on XP is terrible. Very slow, sometimes freezes.

If you have multi-user PC I would be interested to hear your experience.

Netveda is working fine on kids' PCs that are sole user.

I put it on my PC as there are a lot of pop-ups and I wanted to tweak the settings on mine to save me hassling the kids. Oh well, looks like they are going to be annoyed for a few weeks.

Ian

9. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Do you experience the same slow downs/freezes if you use log off/log in instead of fast user switching?

Regards,

CrazyM

10. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

CrazyM

The problem ocurred when both accounts logged in.

So slow I could have made a cup of tea, sometimes it just froze or BSOD.

Installed Kerio on mine, left it on the kids.

May have a problem there in that my daughter uses wireless access and for some reason Stunnel keeps falling over. My son's PC is hard-wired in and no problems. We all use thunderbird, avast and stunnel (for gmail) as shown by those nice people on the Avast forum.

I don't suppose you have any ideas on Stunnel going down?

Ian

11. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I've now got this working so ignore my previous posts.

I think the problem was caused by MSAS. Don't know why?

Install it, boot-up on main account. Shutdown and then boot-up on the other user's account. Let Netveda capture the start-up programmes on each account. After that fast user switching with both sites logged on is fine.

If you do have a problem with wireless adapter in the beginning then let Netveda allow all traffic, go to the wireless adapter properties uncheck Netveda. Wireless adapter then gets lan connection, go back into Netveda config, tick your wireless adapter, tell it to enforce and away you go.

Excellent for kids. Because it is so configurable parents may want to use it to get used to it. Any probs then you can replicate on your machine. A lot of problems with accessing sites that occur after installing Netveda can usually be solved by putting the site in the Allowed Sites list.

As reported, very light, using FreeRam XP to report memory usuage with it on/off, the difference is 3 to 4meg. Kerio and ZA came in at 10. Using speed tests Netveda has the smallest impact, % wise. 13.42Mbps v 13.7mbps (PC is hard-wired and on Optus cable for those drooling). ZA and Kerio were tested on wireless laptops, ZA 3.33 v 3.59, Kerio 3.44 v 3.72. One laptop is further from the router so focus on the difference between firewall on/off.

Not sure these figures mean anything as the diffs could be attributed to network traffic. Be interested to hear others' speed measures.

Ian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.