Problems with MSN messenger

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Samiko, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samiko

Samiko Registered Member

Hi Everyone!

I have a problem ever since i updated my NOD32 software to the 2.50.25 version. The problem that i have is that when i try to login to MSN Messenger 7.0 i get the message that There have been a faliure and that MSN messenger was terminated. Then the options are either to send a "failure message" (dont know what it's called in english, im have a swedish version of the MS Windows XP Pro SP2 installed) and when i click on more information about what caused it i get this text:

AppName: msnmsgr.exe AppVer: 7.0.813.0 ModName: unknown
    ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00000000

The funny thing is that my Windows messenger is working (i have tried many things just to get the MSN Messenger to work but without any results).

I have used Blackspears dummy for seting up the application, and everything is updated until todays date. I did not have this problem before updating the application.

Please forgive me if i have posted in a wrong forum and for my bad english!

Thanks in advance,

//Samiko

2. Samiko

Samiko Registered Member

I got another problem.

This one i got when i restarted my computer 2:nd or 3:rd time after updating the application (see the attached image).

And windows had to terminate it aswell and the information about this was:
    EventType : BEX P1 : svchost.exe P2 : 0.0.0.0 P3 : 00000000
    P4 : unknown P5 : 0.0.0.0 P6 : 00000000 P7 : 00000000
    P8 : c0000005 P9 : 00000008

Anyone experienced same problems?

Attached Files:

3. jg88swe

jg88swe Registered Member

Weird error... Works fine here...

I personaly dont think its NOD32 that is the problem but..

Maybe if you can't solve the problem, try Trillian ... It's a multi Instant Message Client.... can use icq, msn, aim and so on...

( Hejja Sverige )

4. Samiko

Samiko Registered Member

I know! Really weird.

It has crossed my mind that it might not be NOD32 that's started these problems but i did get theese before i reinstalled my computer (about 2-3 weeks ago) with the same updates from NOD32 as now (i don't remember what version that was but whenever install the original CD i don't get this problem/s it's only when i update it to the latest version).

I'll try to download trillian instead but i get frustrated when things doesn't work as normal.

5. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Samiko, I believe that "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" is a Windows XP bug. Let me guess, you get that error right after you reboot, right? I have seen that on several different computers.

Fortunately, Microsoft is working on a fix for it. If you go ahead and submit the error to Microsoft, you will be taken to a page with a patch you can install. Well, I was taken to the page, anyway, since I am using the US English version of Windows XP. I am not sure if such a patch exists for the Swedish, yet.

The patch has not been fully tested by Microsoft, so it has not been released except for people who need it. When they are finished testing it, it will probably show up on Windows Update. Until then, the bug itself is not really dangerous.

6. Samiko

Samiko Registered Member

Thank you for the information! I have read a little about it and just like you said it's not dangerous.

Next time the error appears i will submit the error and go to the site to download the patch. Thanks again!

7. Cyborg

Cyborg Registered Member

Just as a matter of interest Samiko are you using ZoneAlarm as a Firewall or when you did your reinstall of Windows is there anything else "new" that you are using that you were not using before, apart from NOD32?

Since MSN 7.0 came out and even when MSN 7.0 was in its beta stage ZoneAlarm clashed and caused all sorts of problems whereby peeps were unable to access MSN 7.0, taking forever to shut down your PC, lots of error messages coming up on screen and you only have to go into the forums at http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/userForum/userForum_agreement.jsp?lid=tshome_userforum to see the number of posts in respect of these issues. It would appear that it is linked to IM Secure so to be honest I do not know if any other Firewalls are having this issue but I am sure your issue is Firewall related.

I am now running NOD32 Trial as my Anti-Virus and still searching for a Firewall; I am using MailWasher Pro also as a trial (superb); Ad-Aware, TrojanHunter, Spybot, CCleaner I have not had a single issue yet with MSN 7.0 although my PC does take slightly longer to close down than when I had no AV running, but we are talking only about 8 seconds instead of instant as before.

Try going into MSN Messenger/Tools/Options/Connection/Advanced Settings and uncheck all 4 boxes in particular the TCP box but I would do all. This can cure a multitude of issues associated with Firewalls and MSN 7.0. Worth a try. You can always reverse this and check the boxes as they are in default which is - well you tell me as I have unchecked all of mine so I don't remember. :doubt:

As a point of interest to me do we have any gamers reading this post who are using NOD32 with a Firewall running apart from XP SP2 and where everything is running OK? If so what Firewall are you running. :)

Hope you get sorted Samiko.

8. hadi

hadi Guest

9. alglove

alglove Registered Member

10. Samiko

Samiko Registered Member

Hi Cyborg!

Im not using ZoneAlarm, the only firewalls i am using are the Windows firewall and the Nvidia firewall from the Nvidia drivers (this is because i have an AMD 64 3500+ with a DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D). These two firewalls complement each other and i think Microsoft is supporting the Nvidia firewall because when i switched off the Windows firewall the Security center (that's what's it called in swedish) did not react that it was turned off, when i turned off both of them it did. I have tried to connect when disabling first one of them then the other and both of them but no results.

Still i find it lika a mystery that the windows messenger is working but not the msn messenger.

I tried to unchecking the 4 boxes aswell without any results.

But i won't give up until i solve this problem, hopefully someone out there knows a way to help me!

Many thanks to you Cyborg for writing and many thanks to hadi and alglove for giving me the update!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.