RegRun 4.1 Gold

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by n8chavez, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I am sorry if this sound ignorant but I don't know anywhere else where I can find this information. I recently have been looking at RegRun 4.1 Gold. I like what the suite promises to do but I am unsure on just how exactly it does everything. I have the trial installed on my system. I wasn't even asked if I wanted a certain application to launch at startup. I understand that there are many "modules" to that program that can sniff out spyware/adware and and trojans? How is this accomplished? I also understand that RegRun Guard is supposed to find and stop scripts. Is that true?

I guess I just want to know how it can protect me if I'm never alerted with anything? Any what are the differences between this and Regdefend? Thanks.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

1. to make sure u get alerts make sure u set the settings to maximum and set it to check for changes every 1 min. the modules dont rele depend on definitions but it keeps a database of what it considers safe, unnecessary, and dangerous apps, all others are up to u. this is controlling ur startup list. since regrun can detect changes to the registry (that could be a result of malware) then thats how it protects you.
    2. for me it usually prompts when i double click on .reg files, does that count as a script?
    3. difference between this an regdefend is that this is a polling reg checker which means it scans the registry for changes while regdefend does this in realtime or something im not sure. also, regdefend also covers more of the registry and someone (was it puff?) created a group of reg entries that u can use with regdefend that covers whatever regrun covers.

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I would be intersted if someone where to review the new components, that review was rather old. Also, it would be nice if someone could comment that has (or had) both and let me know what they thought (think). I'm kind of concerned that I'm not secure because of the nature of regrun (polling vs real-time).

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

6. muf

muf Registered Member

Regrun Gold is one of those application's that has so many features that it's very difficult to give a concise review. Most users of it learn how to use it's many functions over a long period of time. I've been using it for about 8 months and i'm pretty good with a lot of it but have yet to learn other function's that it provides. It is not a anti-virus or anti-trojan. It's a suite that allows the user to have complete control over what is running on their pc. It has trojan analysis capabilities where it can monitor a file of your choosing and will report on it's behaviour to detect if it is performing trojan like behaviour. It has an anti-spyware module which basically performs a sweep of your critical vulnerable area's to alert you of weaknesses that could be caused by spyware infection. It also lets you 'fix' vulnerabilities that spyware could exploit so that you are not vulnerable. It monitors your startup and alerts newly added startup's. It monitors your registry for changes. You can add your own keys to be monitored.

There's so many things it can do.
    -Back up your registry
    -Analyse the startup, including 'hidden' startup items. It runs when you restart your pc. It logs all the startup activity and then places a shortcut on your desktop to the log that displays all the startup activity that took place in your bootup into windows.
    -Optimise the startup so that it gives you the option to get rid of the unnesseccary and useless things that increase your bootup time and hog resources.
    -Infection detection called WinBait. This is a file that launches itself into vulnerable area's where a virus would be infecting files. If the WinBait file properties gets changed you will be alerted to the possibility of a unknown virus which you can send away for analysis.
    -Antireplacement alerts you to files that are masquerading as legit ones.
    -FileProtection will watch critical system files for tampering. You can add your own files to it's watch list i.e antivirus, antitrojan, firewall. It will alert you if they get changed.
    -File Extension Manager, Process Manager, System files editor plus many other things.

It's the app to have if you want complete control on the in's and out's of what's going on with your pc.

muf

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The "AntiSpyware" and Rescue (registry & file backup, and more) are a couple of my favorite components. AntiSpyware simply shows you tons of key areas of your system that would be affected by spyware, although it's very handy for much more than just spyware disinfection. Rescue can do things like back up your registry and critical system files on boot, but no more than once per day :) The script blocker is along the same lines as WormGuard, and the startup control is fantastic.. I especially love the ability to change the order of what apps start up first, this has eliminated a lot of problems at startup. There's a lot more to it, but most of the other stuff is pretty obvious from looking at the website. The only gripe I have about this app is the layout of the control panel.. it's not very intuitive. Since the individual components are separate components, I wish he'd just make it skinnable so we could make our own control panels.

Here's a screenshot of the "AntiSpyware" (size reduced to spare those w/ small screens).. second to this I like SysInternal's AutoRuns.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  8. Starrob

Starrob Registered Member

Is there any difference between what WormGuard does and the script blocker in RegRun? Is the script blocker in Reg run configurable to add other extensions?

Starrob

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

It seems to cover a few slightly different things, but for the most part it's the same.

10. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

It is called RunGuard and the attached jpeg will give you a bit more of an idea....

Attached Files:

11. muf

muf Registered Member

Regarding RunGuard, you can add custom rules to the Black list. Just like Wormguard.

Here are a series of three screenshots showing RunGuard in action against a VBS test script.

First one. This pops up when i tried to run the test script.

Attached Files:

12. muf

muf Registered Member

Second screenie. I chose VIEW SOURCE CODE and this is the information Regrun gives me.

Attached Files:

13. muf

muf Registered Member

Third screenie. I Click STOP THIS FILE FROM RUNNING and these are the options.

As you can see RunGuard is very similar to WormGuard. Although i'd say it's more WormGuard with added bells and whistles.

muf

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.