SpyBot Search&Destroy version 0.94 released.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by spy1, Mar 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

New features:
    - option to choose to append (or overwrite) logfile
    - click on the right symbol in the results list to open explorer
    folder or regedit
    - PGP verification of program files from section Info|PGP
    - Collecting Win Update information to add to bug report (and making
    bug report impossible without adding details)
    - Warning if tracking cookies are included in cookie exclude list
    - External usage tracks include files now possible (have a look at
    the filesets page)
    - Some tracking cookie information in the english help file
    Bugfixes:
    - fixed number of found problems
    - links of icons will be changed if files were moved
    - backups optional, but pre-checked
    - file backup (for logs) shouldn't produce I/O Error 32 any more
    - fixed autofix and autoclose options
    - option to include date in logfile name now saved on program exit
    - external filesets are now sorted alphabetically
    - uninstall now under every Windows operating system possible
    - Languages in language list now have their flag before them
    - Icons in left iconbar now repositioned on resize (scrollbar
    dis/appearing)
    - better emptying of IE cache
    New bot-detections:
    - Alexa
    - Attune
    - BackWeb Client
    - EverAd
    - Expedioware (dummy still in work)
    - MS Works Auto Updater
    - WurldMedia
    Improved bot-detections:
    - BDE Projector
    - BonziBuddy
    - Comet Cursors
    - Dap ads
    - eZula HotText
    - FlashTrack
    - Message Mates
    - n-Case
    - NewsUpdate
    - OnFlow
    - Radiate
    - SurfPlus
    - TwistedHumor
    - webHancer
    - WildTangent
    - ZapSpot
    New usage tracks:
    - WinZip
    - WinRAR
    - PSP 5

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

wow some one been busy thxi dowenloaded it ill tell you if i still get that false alert from adalware .

im really starting to love spy bot search and destroy it sems the only utlity that is being updated almost frequintly.

thx  so much to the makers.

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Everyone please be aware that the latest beta is identified as 0.95 ( not 0.94 ).

I had a small glitch at the first re-start on my WinMe computer - had to do a hard shut-down and re-start with subsequent ScanDisk - but it seems to be okay now. I think it was just a starting order squabble internally.

Latest beta seems stable (settings stay set and program runs and exits properly if you put it in your start-up) in both WinMe and W98SE. Pete

4. PepiMK

PepiMK Registered Member

Great you like it MrBlaze!

I've always incremented the version number for following betas :)
    (the betas after 0.93 had also the version number 0.94)
    But I should really put a 'ß' behind it for the next betas. *leaving to do this*

5. Mr.Blaze

PepiMK this program is awsome i love the new ignore or delet window and option.

This thing kicks a.s.s it was able to find 10x more stuff this time around.

and it did something i never expected.

it cleaned out old registry keys that were long gone even something regcleaner couldnt do.

it found relly old keys that reg cleaner never picked up on as will as left over components that were just takeing up hd space.

At first i was scared to delet the stuff so i did it anyways and if it didnt work right id just use go back lol .

it deleted a old key of cool 3d.5 which was install on my computer priviosely and i reinstalled it.

Spy bot search and destroy was able to determine with ease which key was the old one not needed anymore.

this program is awsome.

i love its simplicity and the new window that ask me if im sure i want to delet or ignore.

PepiMK dont change the style its so easy to use makes it easy for us newbys.

on another note it still makes a false comet curseor entry that adware detects but dont worry about it your program is much much aprechiated.

6. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

I installed this last night and - good news!  No E/A Fehler 32, and it seemed to run perfectly.  Thanks!

7. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

This app has becomed a serious contender to reckon with in a very short period !  Thumbs up ! :)

8. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I agree - 100%.
    Good job!

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

And, for any of you concerned with any 'un-install' or 'registry-entries' 'issues', the authors' response:

"First the easy thing: the uninstaller sucked till 0.93 included, I admit it. The reason for that is quite simple: I wanted a program that left no traces whatsoever upon uninstall, and I didn't want to install anything into the windows directories. Therefor I had to go without any given installer, but had to write my own. I admit I neglected that for many versions; but the uninstaller of 0.94 should work on any Win version; I've personally tested it on 95,98,NT and 2k. If there are still problems with it, tell me the details, and I'll have another look at it.

The problem with those keys: I didn't know until a few days ago. The first versions were 'clean' regarding this. Atfer quite some hours of research, I (think I) found the problem. I've updated my registry access component some months ago. Sadly, the creator (of the part I haven't rewritten myself to my needs) changed one important detail without including it in the update notice.
    The problem is the windows function to open a registry key. For this a flag is to be set. If this flag is set, the registry key will get created; if not the open procedure returns that the key does not exist. In previous versions of the component, the flag was unset by default, and I used the open procedure to check wether the key existed or not (giving me some speed improvement against only checking for its existance first). Now that the component has changed (the flag set instead of unset by default), most of those keys I just checked were created. I've tried to change all that places in the code just yesterday. I'll try to get my hands on a tool like InCtrl (is it free?), and verify I've solved it all at places (thanks for the detailed InCtrl report btw).

btw: my beta update report of yesterday showed:
    bugfixes: - unnecessary creation of registry keys solved
    (I'll compare again against the report, and hope that is still true)

... there are also very many keys for the installed languages. That is intended but I'm thinking already of loading them from external files, no longer from the registry. In the beginning, there was only one additional language with about 50 values, and the registry editor was a simple program to edit

I'm VERY VERY sorry about this bug.

Anything left to answer? If you found keys or files that Spybot-S&D didn't detect, please mail them to me (best with a link to the application that installed the spy), and I'll do my best to integrate them into the next version / updated include files."

HTH Pete

10. Mr.Blaze

im confused spy bot search and destroy is all that and a bag of chips i love it works fine for me

11. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

When someone releases an app like this for free and even goes to the trouble of having a version 0.94 ( not even a 1 yet ) people should not expect a perfect proggie.  But it's getting darn close to even bigger competitors !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.