extremely long time to make an image, trueimage

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mango, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mango

mango Registered Member

ok, got acronis trueimage, latest build.

wanted to schedule a new Incremental job.

After i set it up, i was going to do the first backup, the program reported it would take 40 min.

i came back 30 min later, and it now says 12 hours remaining ...

i never had this problem with acronis before.

I just switched back from "another " program, that one used 35 min.

I have a pretty fast laptop, and a gig of ram.

And copying to an external , firewire hd as always.

compression is set to normal. Something is wrong.

just wanted to ask before i go back to the other program

Edit..

yes the hd is defragmented\boot defragmented

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mango,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let me know the following information?
    - What version and build of Acronis program do you use?
    - Where do you create the image archive to?
    - Do you create the image of the entire hard drive or partition?
    - You try to create image from Windows, am I right?

We will certainly help you with this issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. RonRoyer

RonRoyer Guest

I just downloaded True Image 8 I have the latest build. I have a SATA drive with only about 19 gig out of 200 used. I am trying to make an image to my Plextor DVD. I formatted the DVD. Using Windows and it started out with 30 minutes, now 2 hours later! it is saying it is going to take 5 hours. I suspect 5 hours from now it will say about 3 days. Did I make a mistake in purchasing this product? I have a brand new system. I gig Memory, Athllon 64, 1.8 Ghz, etc. I am pretty fed up with this so I would like some answers as to why this is taking so long.

thanks,
    Ron

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, RonRoyer

How did you format it, and with what software program.

Have you read the faq on burning to DVD:- Acronis TrueImage 8.0 FAQ

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. mango

mango Registered Member

What version and build of Acronis program do you use?

the latest build i think -903
    - Where do you create the image archive to?

external firewire disk

- Do you create the image of the entire hard drive or partition?

partition c:

- You try to create image from Windows, am I right?

yes

i used acronis some while ago, but got a license from my new job on another software along side a new pc.

i uninstalled it, and installed..

same error ..

on the exact same hardware, 6 months ago it worked fine.

guess ill have to ask for a license on the "other" product again if this doesnt work.

6. Acronis Support

Hello mango,

Could you please try to create the image and store it on the local (internal) drive? Please let us know how much time will it take (please let us know the actual time, not the approximation given by the program).

After that please try to copy the image to FireWire drive using Windows Explorer and let us know whether it was copied as fast as it should?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. Dulcimers

Dulcimers Registered Member

Hello! I'm a newbie to this group and I also was surprised at the length of time required to make an image also 12 hours in my case, but I assumed it was due to the size of my partition (C 107 gb).

The main reason I did this, my old HD is starting to make suspicious noises and was looking for a way to back it up. Briefly this is what I've done; I mounted a new Seagate 160 gb ATA/100 in an external USB 2.0 case and activated and partioned it using Admin. Mgt./Computer Mgt./Disk Mgr. and assigned disk letters to each partition. I then made images in each partition to correspond to my old HD (i.e., H=D:\Restore and P=C:\) using full registered version of Acronis True Image. My question is in case of my old drive failing can I simply remove the old HD and replace it with the one I created and boot with it and use it "as is" etc. ?

Any enligtenment would be greatly appreciated

8. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

Here's what I would do based on the few details you provided in your question:

1) Connect the external drive.
    2) Boot from the newest TrueImage CD you have.
    3) Run Disk Clone and clone your existing hard drive to the new USB2 drive.
    4) Remove the new Seagate from the enclosure and replace the old internal hard drive.
    5) Boot up and if it works okay, put the old drive in the external case and format it.

Use the suspect hard drive for storage of non-critical stuff if you see it's flakey after disk checking.

Good luck.

9. Acronis Support

Hello Dulcimers,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note, that there are two approaches available:
    Disk Clone - moves the entire contents of one disk drive to another.
    Create Image - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes.
    Please read http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/faq.html#9c

bobdat is absolutely correct with his instructions, but you can also use Create Image approach to backup your hard drive.

Please be aware that when you create an image using Create Image wizard Acronis True Image 8.0 creates the image archive which contains of one or more files (volumes of the image archive).

In case of the system crash you will need to restore your system from this image archive using Restore Image wizard.

Please also note that the Create Image approach is more convenient for the backup and disaster recovery purposes, as you will be able to update your image adding the changes made on your hard drive since the last image was created by creating the corresponding incremental images.

However, if you want to get the exact copy of the hard drive you are currently using and store it in a safe place to be able to replace your old hard drive in case of it's crash then it will be more suitable to use the Disk Clone approach.

Please do not forget to remove one of the hard drives after the Disk Cloning process is finished.

Please read more detailed information on how to use Acronis True Image 8.0 in the respective User's Guide which is available here.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.