Build 889:: Verifying:: “The image archive is corrupted”...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rude Boy, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rude Boy

Rude Boy Registered Member

OK... Here’s the problem...

Complete images of single partitions have been perfect since Build 796... Just updated to Build 889...

Now, when I try to “Verify” the Image in WinXP Pro (All current security patches and updates from Microsoft), I receive the Error Message:: “The image archive is corrupted”...

My drives are partitioned as follows (both Non-SATA)::

Disk 0 Partition 1:: [Local Disk ( C: )] 10GB
    Disk 0 Partition 2:: [Disc Images ( E: )] Remaining GB
    Disk 1 Partition 1:: [Swap File ( F: )] 5GB
    Disk 1 Partition 2:: [Local Disk ( D: )] Remaining GB

I do not use ANY backup scheduling, nor the “Secure Zone”... Rather, I usually create a COMPLETE backup of “Disk 0 Partition 1:: [Local Disk ( C: )] 10GB”, to “Disk 0 Partition 2:: [Disc Images ( E: )] Remaining GB”...

Again, this has been perfect until I updated to TI Build 889...

Here are some key points of note::

1) Verifying the image from within WinXP Pro on “Disk 0 Partition 2:: [Disc Images ( E: )] Remaining GB”:: Fails with “The image archive is corrupted”...

2) Verifying the image from outside of WinXP Pro (Startup Recovery Manager) on “Disk 0 Partition 2:: [Disc Images ( E: )] Remaining GB”:: Successfully verified...

3) Copying (& verifying) the .TIB file to “Disk 1 Partition 2:: [Local Disk ( D: )] Remaining GB”:: Successfully verified...

4) This behavior is consistent with ALL newly created AND previously created Images...

5) Default (Normal) compression is used on ALL images...

6) Again, this configuration and backup scenario has been perfect since build 796, and has only begun to fail with Build 889...

Any ideas...??

Thank you so much for your time and suggestions...

Take it easy, and have a good one...
    “Rude Boy”

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  2. swenzn

swenzn Guest

Though this is my first experience with true image 8. I just downloaded it and installed it twice, (It could not create an image the first time). I am experiencing the same problem. When I create the image the program says the image was created successfully but when checking to verify I get the same, "The image archive is corrupted." My image was also created with the default "normal" compression though it was created on a separate, (and just "full formatted"), internal IDE hard drive. Is there a problem with this build's verification routine? It certainly doesn't give me, a new user, a very good impression between the installation issues and now not knowing if my image is any good.

3. Rude Boy

Hmm... For the sake of argument::

1) Try verifying the image in the (DOS/Linux) “Startup Recovery Manager” ... Success...??

2) Copy/Verify the .TIB to a different Partition... Success...??

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Rude Boy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify how you verify the image after copying it to another partition: under Windows or using Acronis Bootable CD? It seems that when you use the "Check Image" tool under Windows some other application prevents it from proper work.

Could you please do the following:

- Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Choose the "Save" option in the "File" menu (or "Action" menu under Windows 2000), enter the "File name" and set the field "Save as type" to "Version 5.0/6.0 System Information File (*.NFO)";
    - Send the saved file to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Rude Boy

:) (NOTE:: The red color is just for importance... NOT anger... I am NOT mad at all... I am definitely patient...) :)

Again, this has been perfect until I updated to TI Build 889... Nothing else has changed...

WinXP Acronis 889 "Verify"... Failed...
    (DOS/Linux) SRM (Installed) "Verify"... Succeeds...
    (DOS/Linux) Boot Disc "Verify"... Succeeds...
    (DOS/Linux) Boot Disc (Safe Mode) "Verify"... Succeeds...

It's sent...

Umm... There's not much else running...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  6. Rude Boy

There’s a point or two that I don’t believe I made too clear... As I’ve been up all night working on this (and I’m kinda sleepy)...

1) Once the image (while using Build 889) is copied to a different partition... It CAN be verified inside of WinXP... Which would detour my thoughts from a background application creating a conflict...

2) Testing a notion that the HDD might be going bad... Doubtable based on it’s youth and it’s performance... I reverted back to various earlier Build Versions of TI... None of which are demonstrating this problem...

QUESTION (and remember, I’m VERY sleepy right now...):: Could there be a new problem with the new build, where as it might have a timing (seek) issue Reading / Verifying / Writing back and forth on the same physical drive, yet on a different partition...?? Does that make any sense...?? I know what I’m trying to say... But again, I’m VERY tired...

7. Acronis Support

Hello Rude Boy,

We have tested the latest build and didn't get any problems with image verification on different types of storage.

Could you please do the following in order to check out the integrity of the image?

- Download and unpack the checksum utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/xcsc.zip
    - Run the application and click on the ellipsis sign to browse and select the image that is reported as corrupted;
    - Click the Start button and wait till the MD5 checksum is calculated;
    - Get the checksum of the copy of this image (that is reported to be normal) and compare it with the one you have for the "corrupted" image.

Please let us know the result of comparison.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. Rude Boy

It’s the SAME file...

Let me start over... Once 889 was installed, EVERY image file is being reported a corrupt when “Verified” win WinXP, but ONLY when the Image is on the second partition of the Physical Drive it made the image from...

This includes ALL previous images made from previous Build Versions...

If the Images are left on the “problem partition”, and “verified” in the DOS/Linux SRM... Then everything is fine, and ANY image is successfully Verified...

Again, this problem ONLY occurs when in WinXP, using Build 889, and ONLY when trying to Verify an Image located on the second partition of the SAME physical drive...

And again... This problem occurs when (while using Build 889) trying to verify ANY previously created (and functioning) Images from previous Build Versions...

And again... Reverting back to previous Build Versions of True Image (Pre-889), does NOT demonstrate this problem on ANY of the afore mentioned (Pre-889) Images...

9. Rude Boy

Umm... Hello...??
    ( Is this the “Brush-Off”...?? )

10. well...

well... Guest

did you run the checksum on the "normal" and "corrupted" images?

11. Rude Boy

It's the SAME file...

So I can't really say "Yes"...​

But I did run the Checksum on both copies (on different partitions) of the SAME file ...​

12. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

From all your investigations I'd guess it was a bug in build 889.
    I doubt it will help but have you tried a "chkdsk <drive> /r" (not /f) on the second partition?

13. Acronis Support

Hello Rude Boy,

Could you please create the image of C: to E: with the latest build and verify it? Also please create the image booting from Acronis Bootable CD and then verify it. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.