OEM/RETAIL/CORP what is the difference

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hadi, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    I got this computer to clean install. The guy brought 3 genuine XP Pro CDs oem/retail/corp and asks me to install the best XP. I don’t know what to say but according to my humble knowledge they are all the same and they differ in activation process only. Is there a real difference in XP (body) it self. Thanks

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

OEM and retail basically are the same, sometimes a corporate version of an os is a little different. It won't always have all of the options of an OEM or retail.

3. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi bigc73542
    and thanks for quick reply. is it corp that doesn't need activation. thanks

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

In the Microsoft world there is a huge difference between OEM and Retail.

OEM means the software is licensed to the computer manufacturer to be used solely by the purchaser of the computer. Technically you can't move the software to another computer, even if you own it, and if you get rid of the computer it isn't legal according to the license to even leave the software on the computer.

On the other hand the retail version is yours. You can install it on one computer, and then remove it and reinstall on another computer. In the case of the office products, you can install the retail version on your desktop, and then even install it on your laptop provided they aren't both used simultaneously.

Pete (who researched this thoroughly)

5. bigc73542

I beg to differ on oem programs I sold OEM programs completely legal for twelve years in my computer shop.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I'd be interested in reading the court cases. From Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_do.mspx

"Another common misconception is that you can transfer a preinstalled or OEM copy of Windows from an "old" machine to a new machine. An OEM software license may not be transferred from and old machine to a new machine—even if that machine is no longer in use. The OEM license is tied to the machine on which it was originally installed and can't be transferred to other machines."

7. bigc73542

Not arguing that point. Just that you can own and sell OEM software. and there is nothing here that says you can't buy OEM software just that you can't transfer it from comp to comp.

8. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    Please leaving courts aside. Is there much difference between them.
    I mean is there one XP better than others in terms of Options/Functions/Features.Thanks

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

No matter if its OEM or Retail or Corporate, the OS features remain the same. :)

10. hadi

hadi Guest

That exactly what I asked for from the very beginning
    Thank you very much

11. bigc73542

There most definatly is a difference in the corporate xp. I have a copy and it doesnt even have an audio driver almost all of the features a home user expects is absent in my corp edition. There is no digital video drivers or support and a whole lot more. it is really plain so the IT people where it will be used can add only what is required for their particular needs. I have a copy of XP pro that only takes 1.3 gigs to install it is so sparse that the add/remove is completly empty at install. There are quite a few different versions.

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

But then, again the features of the OS are not affected....just the device drivers or pre-installed programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.