An IMON problem... help please...

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by burf, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burf

burf Registered Member

For the life of me, I can't figure out what's going on.

I'm using the latest release version of NOD32 (2.50.25), XP sp2... and Outpost firewall... and IE6 (firefox gave me problems with some images).

I do a lot of graphics work, and often need to download jpg images of all sizes. Since upgrading from the 2.13 version, when I go to a thumbnail page, many of the thumbs are missing, and I get the red Xs.
    Also, when I try to open images, many of them open as code. I tried changing the encoding... clearing my cache... all the usual things, but nothing helped.
    Tonight, I decided to disable IMON, and lo & behold, everything worked perfectly.
    I have IMON configured as outlined by Blackspear.
    All my apps are set at high-efficiency.
    I don't like all the pop-ups NOD displays, and have never been able to figure out how to configure it, so I have no pop-ups for images, but can stay in active mode.
    So one question is, how could I do this? In previous versions, I never had all the pop-ups from NOD.

I don't like the way images just pop on the screen, so I had configured IMON to scan all files, except jpgs & gifs. When I remove those exceptions,
    the thumbs & jpgs load properly, but there's the delay with the images... and they pop on, rather than scan as they are opening.

So, I'd like to be able to stay in active mode... I'd like IMON not to scan images... and I'd like everything to load properly. Any ideas how I might achieve this?
    I hope I've been pretty clear, and would appreciate any help... thanks!

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

The popup you speak of sounds like the 'Higher Efficiency' mode download progress indicator.

Have you tried adding the image servers used to the 'Server Compatability' area? :)

HTH

3. burf

burf Registered Member

Exactly... that's what they are. But they can get annoying, and quite abundant, when opening a thumb page. It never used to happen, with the same config, in the release prior to 2.5.

If it was one or two servers, it would be fine to add to the compatibility list,
    but I'd end up adding servers constantly.
    The image problems seem to happen more in graphics forums/bulletin boards... so maybe there's some incompatibility between NOD and php scripts or javascript?? I don't know enough about scripts to understand if this is a problem with NOD, especially the way sites often *disguise* their links, so people can't add direct links & leech from their sites.

Any ideas appreciated ;)

4. NOD32 user

If you would like, you can PM me a link to one of these thumbnail pages...? :)

5. burf

burf Registered Member

Rather than PMing, I thought I'd post it here, for others to see.

For one, some of the thumbs on these pages are missing when IMON is enabled. As soon as I disable, all's well...

Code:
    http://www.naturephotographers.net/imagecritique/ic.cgi?a=va
    Code:
    http://www.news.navy.mil/view_gallery.asp?category_id=60
    Of course, I'm having trouble finding a picture, that opens in code now ;)
    Went searching around, and found a celebrity page, not my normal modus operandi... but the main thumbnail page, no thumbs displayed... and the picture link, opened as code.

Code:
    http://www.open-images.de/html/beckinsale-kate_01.html
    Code:
    http://www.open-images.de/images/beckinsale_kate/images/kb16.jpg
    I've attached a jpg of how the kb16 image loaded.
    Once I disabled IMON, the image loaded normally.
    And strangely enough, when I first tried to upload my attachment, I received an error... when I disabled IMON, it upped normally.

So, you see, I'm having all kinds of IMON issues, having it set in high-efficiency mode. And since I search around for useful images, I sometimes go to questionable sites, and I don't want to compromise efficiency for compatibility.

I appreciate your help!!!

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      180.4 KB
      Views:
  6. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Yup I have to disable the http settings in IMON too in order to view the pages. Real SLooooW. Hope Eset can fix this bug too.

7. alglove

alglove Registered Member

You say you do not want to run in "Higher compatability" IMON client mode, but can you at least try it to make sure if that is the problem? That would at least distinguish between a "compatability/efficiency" problem and some other sort of IMON problem.

What speed internet connection do you have, by the way?

8. burf

burf Registered Member

alglove... If you notice my original post, the issue is active versus passive modes. If I have IMON scan images, there's a delay, and then everything
    loads normally. Images pop on the screen, rather than scan down from the top of the browser.
    I had IMON configured not to scan jpg & gif images, to stop the delay, and have images scan. When images are excluded from the IMON scan, that's when the problems occur.

I only mentioned compatibility, after it was raised in a post.
    I can see how my concerns about compatibility in my last post, may have been confusing... and threw you off. Sorry.

And just to clarify, the active/passive problem occurs in either compatibility mode.
    I have an ADSL connection (3360/864).
    And as I said, I'm using the same configuration I used in the previous release version, where I has no such problems.

By the way, did those pages load normally for you?

Thanks!

9. NOD32 user

For me it's a 4 from 4 success story with both dialup and high-speed. I did occassionally get a cross instead of an image but re-entering on the url (does a page redraw, not a refresh) meant the even these sparse events were put right in my case. :)

I'm not yet convinced that it's an IMON issue exactly, even though disabling IMON removes the symptoms for you. I have come across exactly what you describe while using 'Near-Site' or other similar products. Are you using anything - If so, do tell :)

If you have any other web filtering software or proxy software then I'd be interested to hear how things go with those disabled / by-passed and for that matter you can even try by-passing your ISP proxy if you're using one and see if that helps. :)

Please let us know if those things makes any difference :)

10. NOD32 user

My apologies, I may have made a similar mistake to aglove here... :D

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I don't get any delay with scanning all files and in Higher Efficiency, I'm on Cable.

With this not scanning jpeg and gif images and seeing an issue can you please send an email to support@nod32.com and place a link to this thread.

We would appreciate if you could keep us in the loop with your progress, as we all learn this way…

Cheers :D

12. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

Hi burf:

Please shut down Outpost and see if the files load normally.

It may be a Trusted applications or Partially allowed applications issue. ;)

13. NOD32 user

I have no delay or problem with either high efficiency or high compatability, but try clearing 'Scan All Files' checkbox in the IMON scanner setup so that only listed extensions are scanned and see what happens :)

14. Blackspear

Agreed.

15. burf

burf Registered Member

OK.
    Firstly, it happened again when I went to look at pictures of the Comet impact. The pictures wouldn't load... just blank. When I disabled IMON, all was ok.
    Code:
    http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/050705_scitues_deepimpact.html
    There are 10 pics to scroll through.

I changed the scanning to only the listed extensions... a good suggestion, but the problem continued.
    I tried disabling Outpost... still no go.
    I tried closing Outpost... still no go.

I sometimes use admuncher, but have tested it without admuncher, and the problem persists.
    I use no other software... IE popup blocker is disabled... and have no browser enhancements, extra toolbars, proxy, etc.

Blackspear, the delay in scanning is related to the passive/active mode, not compatibility. I screwed up everyone, when I mentioned compatibility, when I really meant active/passive, in response to a post about compatibility.
    My bad ;)
    I like watching the image load (top to bottom). In active mode, I assume the delay is caused while the image passes through IMON... then pops on the screen. I don't see why images need to scanned by IMON, so I set up IMON to exclude jpgs & gifs. And that's where the prblem arises with the missing thumbs, and jpgs loading as code.

So I hope this makes things clearer... it's not compatibility... it's active/passive modes that's causing the problem.

Thanks so much for everyone's help ;)

16. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

Tested the URL listed above with Firefox 1.0.4 / Win2K without any issues, and I have everything cranked all the way up. I even added .JPG and .JPEG to the scanned file extensions for IMON. No noticeable pause from my work PC, but the connection's not all that fast through our firewall and proxy server. Running Firefox with 8 extensions loaded, popup blocker, etc. turned on, IMON set to "Higher compatibility." Tried with IE6 and IMON set to "Higher efficiency" and again, everything worked just the way it's supposed to. As to the active/passive mode, I do have mine set lower than the default - 200k rather than 2048k. Nothing set in my Client or Server compatibility list.

Jack

17. burf

burf Registered Member

While appreciate your input about Firefox, and your IE config, it doesn't address the issue I'm experiencing. ;)

18. anotherjack

Sorry, I was just trying to let you know that I was not experiencing any of the JPG, IMON, slow load, "showing as code" or any of the other issues you were having, under two different browsers, etc. I went to the sites you listed, didn't experience the problems, pictures loaded properly, and thought that you might be interested that it may NOT be an IMON issue. Normally, posting the configuration used is more helpful than "mine works!"

If you read your original posting, I think I was trying to help by looking for the same behaviour that you were having.

Jack

19. Blackspear

Thanks Jack, your help is always appreciated.

20. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Hello, burf.

I have no problem seeing any of the mentioned links. I tried setting "Switch to passive (compatible) mode for files larger than..." to 1 kB. I tried setting "Switch to passive (compatible) mode for files being downloaded that take more than..." to 1 second. I tried excluding JPG files from IMON. Nothing I did caused any problems at all.

However, all that was with the client compatibility for Mozilla/4.0 for IEXPLORE.EXE set to "higher compatability". When I changed it to "higher efficiency", I was still able to view the pictures, but then I got the annoying "progress bar" that you talk about, as well as the picture showing up all at once. When it was set to "higher compatability", I could always watch the picture filling in from the top down, and I never got the progress bar.

All those Kate Beckinsale JPG files came in very handy for testing. :D

Have you considered uninstalling NOD32, rebooting, and then reinstalling?

21. burf

burf Registered Member

Jack - - I'm sorry if what I said, came across terse. It was unintentional.
    What I meant was that my specific configuration, was what was causing the problems... and what I wanted to see was if others with that config, experienced the same problems. On my computer it is an IMON issue, since that's the only variable that when it's disabled, everything works fine.

So please accept my apology, for a poor choice of words.

22. burf

burf Registered Member

Alglove - - Thanks for trying. It's all strange.
    I guess I'll just have to accept the files going through IMON, since excluding them from the scan, seems to cause the problem (makes no sense).

I always hesitate to remove important apps, when my computer is functioning well (this being the only problem). But I'll probably give it a try, when I have some time.

Is there a way to save settings, before doing a clean reinstall?

And yes, Kate made the problem a little easier to take ;)

23. NOD32 user

This recent thread might help you -->HERE<--
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :)

24. anotherjack

Sorry, I must have been low on caffeine that day. Apology accepted, and mine offered for the tone of my reply.

Jack

25. burf

burf Registered Member

Thanks for the link;) Unfortunately, config editor only comes with the admin version. I was going to export the reg file, then I realized if a currupt registry
    is causing my problem, I'd bring the problem to the new install.
    So, I guess it's best to start over, then reconfigure. ;(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.