Freeware Port Listener Released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LowWaterMark, Apr 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

From the makers of Link Logger:

[hr]We just released a freeware port listener called PortPeeker, which can sniff TCP, UDP and ICMP traffic. Easy to use and has some handy features like text searches, list of connecting IP's and more. You can download it from:

http://www.linklogger.com/portpeeker.htm
    [hr]
    Nice little program. You can run multiple copies if you want to watch (listen to) multiple ports. :cool:

2. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Hate to sound like an idiot ...... :rolleyes:

I'm trying to set it to listen to port 83 which is the port my proxy uses so that I could look at the traffic from my surfing, but I'm getting an error about the port already being in use (which it is, the proxy is using it).

I stopped the proxy service and started Port Listener, then tried to restart the proxy service and it couldn't restart, so I shut the Port Listener back off. I'm not sure how to go about doing this.... I've never used a packet sniffer before

Help o_O

3. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi Mike!

Did you do what they say on their homepage?

NOTE on Windows NT, 2000, and XP you will not by default be able to listen to ICMP traffic. Windows NT and Win2000 have security in place that inhibits the use of ICMP. The work around for NT is to disable the security check on RAW sockets by creating the following registry variable and settings its value to DWORD 1: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Afd\Parameters\DisableRawSecurity

Why not using Port Explorer from DCS? It's much easier to use. If you wanna know more about packet sniffers let me know! They are absolutely cool! :cool:

Best regards!

Patrice

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

This app is not actually a packet sniffer which will monitor all traffic on your system. It will bind itself to the port you specify and monitor the traffic to that port. Only one app/service can be bound to a port, hence why you cannot use it to monitor something already in use by your proxy or vice versa.

If you want to monitor packet level traffic for your proxy, you could use something lke Ethereal and set the filter to log only traffic on the port your proxy uses.

Port Explorer also allows for packet sniffing/socket spy.

Regards,

CrazyM

5. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi CrazyM!

Good answer! Congratulations -I applaud on that. Yes Etheral is a very good tool, but quite difficult to understand. So let's say, if you're new to all that stuff, use Port Explorer.

Regards!

Patrice

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

If it is for one port TDS > Network > TCP Port Listen or Traffic bridge will serve you too, with even the ability to change some data manually if you like.

The description of the Port Listener looked nice, but i didn't d/l it (yet) as i have Port Explorer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.