Creating Large RH ES4 Linux Image to HP SureStore Dat40 drive fails

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by freedo5, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freedo5

freedo5 Guest

Support Team:

I am currently evaluating True Image for Linux with our small business. We are running Red Hat ES4 server. It is set up with Raid 5 and 135G. We want to be able to back the entire server to the HP SureStore Dat40 tape drive attached to the system. The tape drive appears as a write option within acronis. However, after about an hour and a half of writing to the drive, it states that the image failed due to poor write performance. It backed up the ext3 100M partition but received that error when getting through just a small portion of my 135G ext2(LVM) partition.

1) Does Acronis True Image support spanning acrossed multiple tape volumes? I didn't see any option to span?

2) Does Acronis support writing to the slower Dat drives?

We have been doing system dumps and using a commercial program called Arkeia Server Backup. Both have written successfully to the tape drive successfully and the restores with these methods have been successful. However, Acronis has been recommended to us as a viable solution. Please advise on how to proceed so I can continue the evaluation.

My version of Acronis True Image is the latest Linux Trial Version 8.0 (Build 919)
    OS Distr: Red Hat ES4
    Kernel: 2.6.9-11.ELsmp
    HD: Raid 5 135G
    Tape Drive: HP SureStore Dat40
    Tapes: Sony DDS-4 (DGD150P)

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello freedo5,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Linux Server Disk Backup Software.

Could you please try to create the image and store it to the local hard drive, then copy the created image to the tape? What will be the result?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. freedo5

freedo5 Guest

I tried to do that and the image worked upto the point that it ran out of space. Out of the 135G, only 31.5G is used. Yet the image used up an entire 70G harddrive and still needed more space. Why would the image be larger (more than double) than that of the amount of space actually used. The drive I copied the image to was on another machine in the network. On the windows trial, if I only had a 20G drive with about 6G used, the image never really exceeded about 4G. It certainly wasn't larger than the actual amount of space used. Please advise.

Sincerely,
    Michael L. Richards
    RADS Inc.

4. Acronis Support

Hello freedo5,

We need some more information about your system. Could you please issue the follwoing commands and send the output after each of them to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread indicating in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Marian Fadeeva:

df -h
    mount
    dmesg
    lsmod
    cat /proc/partitions
    uname -a
    cat /etc/issue

Also please issue the command:

strace -o log [command]

where [command] means the one you use to created the image with Acronis True Image. After that you will get the file with the name log. Please send it to support@acronis.com as well.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. freedo5

freedo5 Guest

The information has been sent as requested...

6. Acronis Support

Hello freedo5,

Thank you for all the information you sent us. If you do not receive any response from Acronis Support Team within 48 hours please let me know your Acronis Request # which will be sent to you in autoreply.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.