Is total un-install 2 reliable?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Matt_Smi, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I want to try out Total Un-install but had a few questions about it, first I noticed that version 2 is still free, while 3 is $30. Is version 3 much better or does 2 still work fine? So every program I install from now on I must install though this program, and then to remove it do I first use add/remove programs and then run total un-install, or do I just run total uninstall? I am pretty sure quite a few people here use it, have you ever had any problems with it? Is it safe? It sounds like a great tool because I hate software that leaves things behind and sometime this makes me hesitant about installing new programs.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I use the freeware version. No problems as of yet.

I install through Total Uninstall. Let it monitor, including a restart if necessary.

When removing a program, use the add/remove in Windows and then use Total Uninstall to get the rest.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

What he said... YES!

I have used TU free to monitor each & every install for over 3 years. Grrrreat!

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It works well for me also.

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The used the free version until the new was released, and worked very well ;)

6. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

How is Total Uninstall (free version) in dealing with big application downloads, like Microsoft Office Professional 2003 - which comes as a 3 CD set?

7. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Just remember that if you use Add/Remove in Windows first this box has to be unchecked (see pic)!! I'm using 2.34 (one version before the latest [2.35]) and have never had a problem.

Attached Files:

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

3 CD set? o_O

I have Office 2003 Professional all on one CD.

9. hadi

hadi Guest

also, one on 5 CDs exist

10. hadi

hadi Guest

Can you please explain why. Thank you

11. erikguy

Yes, certainly. When you install a program the Windows "shared dll counter" goes up depending on how many dll files the program installs. When you use the Windows Add/Remove component to remove a program it reduces the dll counter accordingly but does not always remove every single file that the program installs which is why you would want to use Total Uninstall in the first place. But because the dll counter was restored via Add/Remove you would only want Total Uninstall to carry out its other remove options. Of course, if you don't use the Windows Add/Remove check the box so Total Uninstall will take care of it for you. Did I clarify well enough?

Well, HTH.

Regards,
    erikguy

12. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Sooooo?....Is there such a thing as a Total Uninstall Programme that will uninstall stuff NOT installed by TU??.........because I damn-well need one....why is it that when you uninstall stuff sometimes it just won't die no matter what you hit it with.....Try getting shut of Zone Alarm, and Antivir (I cannot find AntiVir anywhere in my Computer yet it pops up in my Tray on Reboot......Aaaaaarrrrggghhhhhh!!...

It is my belief that Zone Alarm was invented by the Devil.........and is consequently Immortal..... :D

Cochise, :cool:

13. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

There's quite detailed instructions over here,

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=53546

on ZA uninstallation.

snowbound

14. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

15. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

16. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I'm sorry Men, but those ZA Uninstall instructions have to be some kind of Joke, right?.....crikey, I only wanted to get rid of it, I have no intention of making it my lifes work... :D

What brings a wry smile to my face is that you get all these instructions from ZA AFTER you've attempted to uninstall, by which time it's too late, the situation has become so complicated, I should live that long to go through the procedure..........What's Zonelabs problem?.....did they actually intend that once you D/L the damn thing you'd be virtually stuck with it because they knew it would be too much of a rave to dump??.........It's OK if your conversant with the old Registry stuff but a lot of Users think the Registry is where you go to get Married.. :D.........Is this considered to be a bit of a Rant cos if it is Good............ :D

Cochise, :cool:

17. hadi

hadi Guest

Much appreciated

18. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    I installed HDCleaner
    http://home.tiscali.de/zdata/hdcleaner_e.htm
    through TU, then uninstalled it through TU
    I got this log file

what are these errors, Has HDCleaner been uninstalled completely

19. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

That's crazy! :eek:

20. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I thought so as well, Jag. My sister bought the "3 CD set" for me for my birthday, and when I saw it was a 3 CD set I thought, "huh"? Especially since she purchased it through the university where she works (ridiculous discounts per a corporate arrangement with Microsoft), and it did not come with any manuals, etc., just the 3 CDs wrapped up nicely in a see-through plastic envelope (kinda like a Glad zip-lock bag). I haven't installed them yet because, well....they don't offer a lot of detail on the actual CDs. Still waiting for some "professional" help on this one (no pun intended)......

21. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

Hi, :D

Had you not mentioned that your "sis" works for the university .... I might have thought that they were "bootleg" copies. ;)

HR :cool:

22. erikguy

No. Now you *should* (if you feel comfortable editing the registry) go into the registry editor and manually delete those keys. They were left behind because HD Cleaner altered these keys AFTER the program was installed and because TU doesn't touch things that aren't exactly in it uninstall instructions (.tun files) it left them alone. That's why it is recommended that you run the program once and change all settings to the way that you want them before you hit "Next" on TU that way these changes will be detected as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.