Firefox Protection Problem

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Rapport, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rapport

Rapport Registered Member

This is getting worse.

There are now three items that will not stay blocked:
    eUniverseAds
    Res99
    ValueAd (3)

I uninstalled SpywareBlaster in safe mode (WIN XP) & ran two registry cleaners.

Retstarted and ran three registry cleaners.

Downloaded a fresh copy of SpywareBlaster, installed it and updated it's files.

The problem persistso_Oo_Oo_Oo_O??

2. snowboard

snowboard Registered Member

Do the following EXACTLY

1. Open SpywareBlaster and select "Disable All Protection"

2. Close SpywareBlaster (and the AutoUpdate Configuration program, if open)

3. Open Add/Remove programs (click on "Start" in the lower left corner of your screen, then on "Control Panel", and finally on 'Add/Remove Programs")

4. Search for the SpywareBlaster entry and uninstall/remove it

5. Reboot

6. Run RegSeeker

7. Fix all problems found and create a backup

8. Reboot

9. After you have followed these steps download a new copy of SpywareBlaster 3.4

Regards,

snowboard

3. Rapport

Thanks for your response.

I followed your directions, exactly.

I tried RegSeeker, in fact I got two versions; the one you referenced and the newer 1.45 Beta.

I ran both, repeatedly. I fixed all probelms, however, there are two references to TurboTax which reappear.

I have also ran Norton, Fix-it, and RegScrubXP programs to further clean the registry. My computer still runs, BTW.

But, SpywareBlaster still leaves the three items un-protected.

I also noticed that another person reported simular problems today.

Do you have further ideas?

4. snowboard

snowboard Registered Member

When you noticed the other person, did you see if any one has replied to it?

If they did just follow along with his thread, and see if you can fix it.

Regards,

snowboard

5. dog

dog Guest

Hi Rapport, ;)

Welcome to Wilders'

Your issue may be caused by whatever other anti-spyware software you are running (most likely resident). The three items you've listed are blocks for Tracking or AD cookies. Once you enable ALL protections in SB, do whatever AS apps you're running create popups? (I'm think of MS antispy or AOL antispy as they are both pretty infamous for False Positives and both have tendencies to report some things incorrectly - this could be one of those times :doubt: ). If you aren't getting any popups after you enable all protections in SB ... How long do they stay enabled for? Can you search for those entries in Firefox and see if they are listed in your cookie exceptions? If they are ... are they listed as something other than blocked?

Can you give us a list of the security programs you are using?

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2005
  6. dog

dog Guest

As a little follow up ... what happens if you manually add say res99.com to the exception list in Firefox and set it too block.

In case you don't know where the cookie exception list is located. With Firefox open ... select "tools" -> "options" -> select "privacy" in the left pane of the new options dialog/popup -> Expand the "Cookie" section in the main pane -> select the exceptions button ... then type or paste res99.com in the text box and select the Block Button (screen shot also provided)

Steve

Attached Files:

7. Rapport

I found a solution.

a) Export & save your Mozilla/Firefox bookmarks
    b) Rename or delete the Mozilla folder (which is a hidden file) in the Application Data folder of Documents and Settings
    c) Run Firefox and Import the saved Bookmarks

Apparently the Firefox User Profile became corrupted and caused the problem.

Thanks for all of the attention and effort; I am posting this to alert you all to another approach to resolving problem of this type.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.