anyone heard of Online Armour?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by angarahad, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angarahad

angarahad Registered Member

here's the link
    http://www.tallemu.com/features.html

it sounds promising-(keylogger and spyware detection, web filter, DNS checker) -but upon searching the forums i haven't found any mention of it as yet.

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

It looks pretty promising, but sorry to say that with all the scams out there I would wait until someone like Eric Howes has a look at it before saying anything either way. Honestly, for the money, I would rather use ProcessGuard and MS AntiSpyware. The two together would offer much greater protection, no yearly updates, and a mature database of signatures for the same price. Prevx 3 is due out within the next month, and promises to offer much more than the current version, including some of what this program offers.. it may be one to keep an eye on.

Being the beta junkie that I am, I'm quite tempted. I'm inclined to pass at the moment, but we'll see what happens at 2am when my senses are dulled :D

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I asked the Tall Emu for a key to try Online Armor. They sent it within a matter of a few hours.

@Notok- I doubt it's a scam. Tall Emu does computer consulting in Sydney, Australia, and they openly publish their local address & phone numbers.

I'll be trialing their program starting tomorrow.

4. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Notok,

I'm actually from Tall Emu and if you're a beta junkie, I'd love for you to participate in our test program. If not, also happy to answer any questions that you may have about Online Armor, what it does and so on.

You can either reply on this thread, mail me directly [mike] at tallemu.com - (with Online Armor in the subject) or use the forums on TallEmu.com.

I'd be interested in how the original poster found us - we've not done any promotion really while we've been beta testing.

Cheers,

Mike

5. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

is online armour compatible with firewalls like zonealarm and is it compatible with kaspersky antivirus etc....

6. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Chaos16,

Various beta testers have had *all sorts* of stuff running - I've personally tested it with ZoneAlarm, PrevX, MS Antispyware and found no problems. (In fact, quite amusing to use the program blocker to stop MS Antispyware executing :p )

Other ones I know work have been Norton, Trend, Kaspersky and AVG. It's been tested so far against many, many applications and we haven't found anything that clashes yet.

Mike

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Bellgamin: Mahalo nui loa, once again :D

Mike: Thanks for the invite, I just might take you up on it. May wait until the weekend, however :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  8. dog

dog Guest

Hi Mike, ;)

Do we need to request a key for the beta or does one only need to DL it from the DownLoad Page?

Steve

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Check out the Buy Online page for a contact form to get the beta key. :)

10. chaos16

Hi MikeNash
    wats the adavantage of having online armour if u have

zonealarm pro
    Kaspersky antivirus pro 5.5.0.20 with realtime protection
    microsoft antispyware with - realtime protection
    spywareblaster
    spybot-search & destroy with immunize system enabledo_O?

is there any extra protection that online protection giveso_O
    and is it compatible and protects through firefox??

11. dog

dog Guest

AY, Thanks Notok ;)

12. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Chaos

The advantage in Online Armor - it can block any program from running on your PC - even unknown ones; It filters any website you visit - through all browsers - including embedded like in ICQ, custom written, whatever.

It will detect keylogger behaviour - not signature based - so if someone wrote one now, your install of OA would detect it - unless it used a completely new *method* of keylogging, in which case we'd need to do an auto update to protect against that attack method.

It will detect DNS subversion/poisoning, browser helper objects, IE toolbars... and it takes hardly any memory - just one program, not 5! Instead of cleaning off spyware, it stops it getting on in the first place...

Of course, still beta - we have lots of ideas for improvement and welcome suggestions as well :) We just want to get a solid v1 release out there.

I'm sure, more features will occur to me, we have a fairly good list on the site - but its getting late here now, so I will be offline for next 10h - so licence key requests will get processed first thing in the morning, when I wake up :)

13. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Ahh yes, the cookie cutter - transparently converts persistent cookies to session cookies - it doesn't break sites that need cookies, but stops them persisting between sessions. There's also a lot of security related features in there - have a look (and try) some of the exploits at secunia on, for example, IE and firefox.... I can think of X-site scripting, Browser window injection that we protect against.

14. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Gonna give this program a try Mike. Looks good so far.

15. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Looks very promising, Mike. One question I have and that is not mentioned anywhere is rootkit detection/prevention. I like what I'm reading about keylogging, but how is it on rootkit trojans?

16. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Prevent - yes - detect - not really. Our focus is on prevention. The only reason we have a database of apps is so people can identify programs.

OA can stop any program running, so provided OA is active, it can't get a hold. If you do run a rootkit trojan, OA *may* be able to get rid of it, depending on how ingrained it gets. At a minimum, you'll know what files and reg entries it dropped - and it can be probably be prevented from running on next reboot.

We will probably have some mechanism of detecting already present rootkits in a later version.

17. chaos16

i will give it a try then

but it works alot like a firewall like allow programso_O

and u say it wont conflict with firewall u say it works with firewallso_O

and how many ppl are working on online armour??

18. angarahad

angarahad Registered Member

original poster here--i'm a newbie so i must admit to being moderately clueless about the whole PC security deal--so i've been scanning the net looking to update my current solutions.

(XP SP2 (i know-- M$oft is evil!! but i got this PC from my parents--the next one will be Linux all the way!)
    Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4 (love it love it love it!)
    spoofstick tbar
    Noscript extension
    ADblock extension
    Popups Must Die! extension
    NOD32 v2.5 (tried Kaspersky--my PC did not like it--sad!)
    Look 'n' Stop 2.05 with Phant0m's rules v6 http://www.doubledaze.com/lnsrsphant0m/
    (got this after reading all the recommendations here--can't imagine life without it now)
    Trojan Hunter 4.2 free version
    a-squared Free
    Lavasoft's Ad-Aware 1.06
    Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4
    Javacool's SpywareBlaster 3.4 and SpywareGuard 2.2
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware
    MJ Registry Watcher Version 1.2.4.2
    System Safety Monitor version 1.9.6 beta 2
    Processguard v3.150 free version
    Proxomitron 4.2
    Phishguard
    Secure-It (i'm still too scared to use Harden-it yet)

i'd been reading about these drive-by installs and keylogger problems--so i wanted to find some programs to help fortify my current defenses. right now i've been circling ProcessGuard Paid as an option--but also want to try out some anti-keyloggers to see what's a good fit.

in my travels searching for anti-keyloggers that use algorithms, i found this link via google
    http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=45701&hl=/

there was a mention of the Online Armor beta--so i wanted to investigate further.
    i couldn't find any other mention on Wilder's so that's why i posted my initial inquiry--i hope that was a good thing!! the one thing that i really dig about Online Armor is the pricing--$29.95 for initial investment--then $14.95 for "yearly subscriptions" after that!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  19. You may want to try Snoopfree, I run it with PG full with no problems.

To check it out using Diamonds Keyhook.exe....or PcAudits leaktests 1 and 2.

Of course PG pops up first asking to allow or not...but if you allow..Snoopfree

will pop up then asking same.

http://www.snoopfree.com/default.htm

20. chaos16

who here has tried online armour and are happy with ito_O

21. bellgamin

I am in the VERY early stages of trying OA. Comments...
    1- OA adds itself to start-up without asking permission. Very un-cool.
    2- On first use, OA *called home* without prior warning. Obviously this is done so as to download updates to trusted/untrusted (or whatever), but there should be a notice given during installation that this will happen, & why, plus reassurance of privacy. Otherwise, we who are ultra-paranoid might be turned off from the get-go.
    3- Is the trusted list protected by a strong CRC checksum such as SHA-1, MD5 etc? If not, it's pretty vulnerable to spoofing I would think.
    4- Some of us use a large HOSTS files. OA asks about each individual entry. Perhaps there should be a way to tell OA to ignore HOSTS, or at least pre-certify it.

22. chaos16

so it not a really good security program

23. bellgamin

NOTHING posted thus far should lead to such a negative conclusion.

OA is still in beta. Mike has told us that further improvements are in the works. In its present stage, OA appears to offer LOTS & LOTS of promise.

However... if someone lacks the *beta-testing spirit* then this program probably isn't for you as yet. No offense :blink:

24. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi there...

1- In order for OA to run, it *must* start automatically with the PC. This is done not so we can install the protection as soon as possible. For example, if you have a bit of spyware in your startups and Online Armor hasn't started *first* it will be unable to stop the spyware running. I'm not sure of a good way around this one.

2. There's an option on the main screen - but you're right, I should put a notice/option either in setup, or in the saftey check wizard. I'll sort that out over the weekend.

3. Yes, we're using a secure one-way hash :) - Updates are encyrpted and signed. A lot of thought has gone into protecting OA from spoofing and attacks.

4. Hosts - Yeah, you got me there too... I personally dont use hosts as a killfile, that one slipped thru the cracks. In the case of a large hosts file, I could probably make it so we can "allow all".

Hope that helps..

Mike

25. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

That's just one of the features Chaos - program blocker. A firewall blocks programs accessing the internet. Online Armor blocks programs from even starting... and filters web pages, mail, etc, etc....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.