FF-av-test 26-May-2005!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firefighter, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

If you want to know how much samples you have to collect when the precision/accuracy level is 1 % and the reliability/confidendence level is 95 %, the result is 9609 randomly picked samples. To increase the accuracy level you have to collect drastically more samples and that is very difficult to an independent tester.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

2. IBK

IBK AV Expert

o_O
    The sample size for on-demand tests that AV-comparatives uses is over 386.000

FF used 2809.
    8259 were used by av-comapratives for the retrospective test, which means *only new* samples appeared in the last 3 months.

3. Firefighter

Please, verify those detecting rates of mine to those that AV-Comparatives had in the latest 02-2005 test and you will see that all detecting rates are withing the error marqinal of 2 % against those "Total without DOS & OtherOS", except BitDefender and AntiVir, which increased the defs drastically after the AV-Comparatives test 02-2005.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

4. IBK

IBK AV Expert

I saw now what you mean.

5. Firefighter

The most special thanks I want to send to HappyBytes. He said before that my tests were a crap ones, that's why I made this new test one. Besides, my past away father was a good chess player and he was able to beat the best chess player in the state of New Mexixo US some tens of years ago. But he was a poor chess teacher to me when he was in a closed room without a chessboard and he won me when I was at the age of 14. After that I decided that chess is a game to lonely people. :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

6. Firefighter

Now my almost 17 year old daughter is beating me in the chess. Damn me with my history.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  7. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Well Done FF! I like to see your test results, crap or not. LOL

8. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks for sharing the results FF.

Rich

9. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Thanks from me too, its always interesting to see the results on these scanners. Any chance you could test out EZAntivirus 7?. I have DrWeb on home computer and NOD on my work box. ETrust just extended my license for me into next summer. Its kinda tempting since DrWeb lapses in a few months but I just don't know about the big EZ... :D

10. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

:)

Good job

I-KIRJAIN käsittää mikä te omaisuus luona että , ja i-kirjain hyväksyä. Ainoastaan , haluta aito I-KIRJAIN käytetty kielenkääntäjä jotta kirjake nyt kuluva asia.

;)

11. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Firefighter,

Interesting results and thanks for taking the time to run and publish these tests. One small request though - would it be possible to add a note of "unique" detections? (e.g. the number of items that each program detected that none of the others did). This would give some indication of which ones may be useful as a backup scanner to the big hitters.

If these tests are on-demand (therefore testing the AV file-scanners), it may be worth noting that background (memory) scanners should normally give better performance, if any items in your database were compressed/crypted/rebased, etc.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Please test latest Norman beta :D

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

FF,Can you test Panda, please? :D

14. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

And AVK 2005. ;) :D

15. .....

..... Registered Member

And...... VBA32 :rolleyes:

16. Firefighter

Norman VC 5.81 beta2 scored only 68.1 % against those 2809 samples, so I didn't want to categorize those detectings anymore.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Tnaks for testing. Just score is ok,but if it's only 68% i'm somehow dissapointed with Norman. On VB100% it has very good score,but judging by this they apperantly focus only on ITW stuff.
    I wonder if IBK will test Norman (especially for proactive tests) or is Norman out of the league for good (judging by FF score)...

18. IBK

IBK AV Expert

http://www.av-comparatives.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thank you for the link. Looks like they've done pretty well in retrospective part.
    Too bad their overall detection isn't that good (i have noticed that on Jotti too),but i rarely see Norman to detect anything there. And even detected stuff is usually covered by Sandbox and not signatures.
    So my conslussion is that their heuristic part is very good,but they certanly lack signatures.

20. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Norman IME has always had a low detection rate, but the heuristics were spot on. The thing that gets me with them is the stated Signature DB,
    Doesn't seem to make sense, I thought it was just my collection giving it trouble. But I now see that is not the case.

21. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

LOL, My on demand backup to KAV 5 Real Time. :D

22. Firefighter

Just made my last correction to the test table in post 1. when 110 more samples were removed by advice of IBK. The reliability/confidence level dropped a bit to 95.889 % with the same precision/accuracy level of 2 % (see my post 5. in this thread now).

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.