Spywareblaster and Cookie Pal

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by noobby, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noobby

noobby Registered Member

I'm running Windows 98(I know, it's old) and use Spywareblaster on a regular basis to keep the nasties away. I also use Cookie Pal with IE6 to stay on top of what cookies I allow on my computer.

Recently, I noticed the weirdest thing. When I load Spywareblaster, update and enable all protection, all goes well. However, when I open IE6, which in turn, opens Cookie Pal, and then open Spywareblaster, 209 items show up as having protection disabled. Investigating further, these items turn out to be all the "Cookie types" in Spywareblaster that have their boxes unchecked.

I can press Enable all protection and it applies it again, but the next time I repeat this exercise, it's the same thing all over again.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, have you fixed it? If not, could anyone suggest a decent cookie program that's small but useful? Support at Cookie Pal is non-existent.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

nooby

You might try sending an email to kookaburra software. I've always gotten a reply.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Noobby....hopefully this will make sense....but as of yet I can not determine the cause.

Here goes:
    I just installed Cookie Pal....and the short of it is I am seeing 209 items un-checked if I have both IE\Cookie Pal loaded ....but....the items(cookie URL's) are still providing protection because they can be seen in their proper location of IE....Tools\Internet Options\Privacy tab....WebSites section\Edit

If you do not mind....double check this for me Please :doubt:

Open Spywareblaster and enable cookie protection....or double check that cookie protection is enabled....close Spywareblaster. Open IE....and Cookie Pal tags along....look in ....Tools\Internet Options\Privacy tab....WebSites section\Edit....do you see a long list of URL's ?

It appears to me at first check that if IE\Cookie Pal is open....and you then open Spywareblaster....it will show the 209 items as un-checked(disabled ?). If however....IE\Cookie Pal are closed....and then you open Spywareblaster....the correct indication is present....without having to reaplly protection.

Realizing that's not a how to fix it response....it is what I am seeing. Somehow Cookie Pal is preventing Spywareblaster from displaying the proper protection that is indeed present....and can be verified by looking at the above mentioned IE location.

:doubt:

Edit:
    The above was accomplished on a Win 98 workstation. I have just now downloaded Cookie Pal for Win 2000....and the above is happening with that OS also.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Small update:

Similar to registry monitoring programs....Cookie Pal is preventing\blocking Spywareblaster from accessing\reading the below reg key. If Spywareblaster is prevented from reading that key....in regards to blocked entries....it can not compare it to it's known ListNumber total contained in the ckdatabase.dtb file

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History

This can be monitored by using a program such as RegDefend.

5. noobby

noobby Registered Member

Yes, I checked my system and I get the same result as you mentioned above. At least it's reassuring to know that the protection is still there.

6. noobby

noobby Registered Member

Thanks again for looking into this even more deeply. Hopefully there are enough Cookie Pal users that will complain to Cookie Pal support so they can work out a solution to this.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I wouldn't hold my breath....and feel the only soultion is to temporarily close down Cookie Pal when wanting to see accurate numbers from Spywareblaster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.