THEFT OF COMMUNICATION SERVICES ACT

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by spy1, Mar 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

(This "Act", if passed as written, will impact individual computer users' "security" to an extent I can only scratch the surface of at the moment. It is not meant as a political post - it is a warning).

The applicable section ( 8 ) of the one proposed for S.C. reads:

"It is unlawful for any person knowingly to:

(ii) To conceal - or assist another to conceal - from any communication service provider or from any lawful authority, the existence or place of origin of or destination of any communication;"

(I added the bolding and italics for emphasis - Pete).

So put aside the worries about "illegal firewalls" for a moment and think about the above in relation to the following pieces of software:

(a)Proxies (anonymous or otherwise)

(b)ALL "anonymous" (or fake) email accounts/"remailer" programs and/or IM-type programs (with or without encryption).

Also think about the impact on services such as Anonymizer/Freedom, etc..

As written, anonymity itself would be totally outlawed.

There is no "mistake", "stupidity" or "redundancy of previously-written legislation" here, folks - this is just one of many simultaneous snakes slithering through the grass that are going to lead up to the day when you will be required to have a "personally unique identifier" sent along with every attempt to access anything on the Internet. Pete

Background article here(along with list of states that are jumping on board with this one): http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/archives/000336.html

2. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Thanks for that Spy !
    Now and in the future, Privacy may be a thing of the past....in all respects.
    Will it ever end ? :mad:

regards,
    bill :)

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

I've noticed the ongoing discussions about this act. Seems like part of a very disturbing USA gov policy :rolleyes: in regard to privacy related matters. One wonders wher all this will end.

regards.

paul

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

So I guess that means if you ARE stealing over the Internet then you will be prosecuted under the THEFT OF COMMUNICATION SERVICES no matter how hard you try to cover your tracks in South Carolina.

Now we all know what theft is..that is when you take or use something without asking permission or paying for it.

You say you are just borrowing it or taking it out on loan even though someone else paid for it..or it is has a copyright. A little bandwidth here..few Movies..couple of Albums from you favorite artist.

Did you say you wanted to set up a Server in the State of South Carolina to help people all over the world do the same?

Well all that is going to change. Some things in life are free but not the Internet or the use of the Internet to steal. Just ask the people who have to pay all the bills.

Now I realize all you good people here do not fit into that category :) and you have no intentions of setting up shop in South Carolina so you have nothing to worry about.

And I do understand those in this State who would like to remain anonymous and keep anyone from looking in their Windows. But if you have traffic coming in and out of your home through that phone line or cable that is theft. Best to just leave the old computer turned off and save on the electricity.

My personal privacy will not be affected by anything in that ACT that is also the case of 98% of the other people who live here.

So help your legislatures with the wording if you think those guys are clueless ;) I also do not have much use for politician.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.