Can't Create Disk Image - Disks contain "unsupported structure"?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ron Weber, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Weber

Ron Weber Registered Member

I just purchased and installed Acronis True Image 8 for Windows. I'm trying to backup my C and D drives on an Windows 2k Professional system, they are both dynamic disks. Acronis says these two disks "contain an unsupported structure", so the software won't let me create images to back them up.

Yet, in the Acronis support area (http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATISWin/faq.html#9), they say the following:

"Does Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows support Windows LDM (dynamic disks)? Yes, Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows support Windows LDM (also called Dynamic Disks). You can create an image of a volume of any type and later restore the imaged volume back to dynamic or basic disk."

So what gives? Why can't I make images of these volumes?

Regards,
    Ron Weber

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ron,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We regret to inform you that current version of Acronis True Image 8.0 doesn't support Dynamic disks. However, Acronis True Image 8.0 Server does support Dynamic disks. You may read the whole comparison table of different editions at our site.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. gpupurs

gpupurs Guest

This DEFINITELY should be labeled on the outside of the retail box. There is nothing on the box that suggests that dynamic disks cannot be backed up.

Fortunately I have only one dynamic disk in my 3 disk setup, which I hope I can copy and convert to a basic disk. But others may not be so fortunate...

4. Acronis Support

Hello gpupurs,

You can find the information about Dynamic Disks supporting on our web-site:
    the Version comparisons

Please also note that you may create images of Dynamic disks only with Acronis True Image 8.0 Server and Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server. These products allow you to restore these images but the after the restore the disk will be set as Basic (however, Windows is able to convert Basic disks to Dynamic without data loss).

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. zabjak

zabjak Guest

I have similar problem with true image server i have transfered dynamic disk image to external hard drive after transfering the same to new scsi drive when i restarted my server it gives the error lsass.exe and need to check directory structure and windows will be shut down.

After replacing my old scsi windows started normally.

Kindly advise.

Thanks

6. Acronis Support

Hello zabjak,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify whether you just copied the image file or did you in fact restore the image? If you did restore the image of old SCSI drive to the new SCSI drive did I get it right that you can boot with the old disk plugged (and new one unplugged) and you cannot boot with the new drive plugged and the old one unplugged?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. zabjak

zabjak Guest

Hello Support Team,

I created image of DATA partition on External HDD. There after installed new scsi drive to which i wanted to transfer my image of DATA partition. I restarted system with bootable CD and did the restore.I did the restore not copying.

Once I removed my old DATA scsi drive and restarted the system with new scsi which was having DATA image it gave me the error as i had mentioned.

Also i made new scsi as NTFS with logical drive.

I would appreciate if any useful hint will be provided.

Thanks.

8. Acronis Support

Hello zabjak,

Could you please clarify me the following?

Did you create the image of the entire hard drive or only DATA partition?
    What version (and build) of Acronis Program do you use?

I also recommend you try to attach your old hard drive, boot from Acronis Bootable CD and run "Clone Disk" wizard. Please read the User's Guide (Chapter 7. Transferring the system to a new disk).

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

9. zabjak

zabjak Guest

Hello Support team,

thanks for your prompt reply.

I have only created image of DATA partition. Not the whole drive.

Thanks.

10. ticked

ticked Guest

Can I get my money back? I just bought this, install it, and find out it doesn't work. I want my money back or a free upgrade to the Server edition. I mean, what kind of software doesn't support something that Microsoft has had out for years? I have two 250GB HDs that are striped (both dynamic) and Acronis is WORTHLESS to me because of this.

LABEL YOUR PRODUCTS BETTER!

11. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi,

As Acronis Support says:-

Also Windows is able to Convert Dynamic Diskto Basic Disk, then you will be able to use Ti to create your Image.

You can use the Microsoft Windows Tool dskprobe.exe:- #6

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  12. Acronis Support

Hello ticked,

I'm afraid that the support for Windows dynamic disks has never been in the list of Acronis True Image 8.0 features, since the process of imaging the dynamic volumes is very complicated and therefore it is implemented only in more expensive server versions of Acronis True Image 8.0.

Please also note that usually we do not provide upgrades from the homecomputing software to the corporate\enterprise versions. However, you can contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com in order to discuss the possibility of purchasing such upgrade.

Please read more about Acronis refund policy here.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.