Command Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Honyak, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I did not find much doing a search so I am seeking comments and experience concerning Command Antivirus.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

did you try here I have used command in the past and it runs light on the system and has a good detection rate

3. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Thanks BigC, I did see the website, but I was looking in Wilders for users comments. I was going to trial it, but I notice the trial does not include updates.

Regards

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The reason i quit useing command was that it got to be more trouble trying to get it updated than it was worth. :mad:

5. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

In short:

Pros: Very light, simple, stable, price, very good detection rate and solid heuristics.

Cons: Better packer support is desired…

tECHNODROME

6. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Yes, I googled it and there were some of the same issues reported by users, but they were from 2003 and early 2004. Wonder if anything has changed?

7. Technodrome

If it helps, I've never experienced any problems with Command AV. Its been very stable and flawless for me.

tECHNODROME

8. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Thank you Technodrome.
    How long have you used it?

Regards

9. Technodrome

I've been using it for a very long time. Since 1999 (I think). I had my first contact with CSAV when I was in college. I liked it so I bought it.

tECHNODROME

10. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I noticed when googling it a lot of universities used it for their student network.
    Sounds good, I may trial it after all. I have trialed all the big guns and now am working on the lesser known so to speak. But Command sounds like a decent package.

Thanks again.

11. Technodrome

12. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Thanks again, a very informative read, when I did a search for command antivirus I must have missed this somehow. Glad you pointed me in the right direction.

Regards

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Same here not as long as you not quite a year. Difficult for me to set up but once I set it up it worked great. I plan to renew it on my Emachine for at least another year. ;)

Reading the link I would add one thing it updates at least three or four times a week now a days. Sometimes almost every day of the week. Weekends the least. ;)

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  14. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

What was difficult to set up?

Regards

15. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

After the download the unpacking it and as BigC stated getting it to update. You have to set up the update and make choices. (See post 8 in the Black Cat link, click the sites tab, right there you need to make some choices to set it up, I am on my Compaq and not my Emachine or I could better explain).Put in your password. I had to read the manual. Also at the time Bellgamin got it too and he needed to know where to look for the update status which is in the Help>About. I think the fact that it is so few options makes it a little difficult you have to bore into it a little not just four or five "radio buttons" like most. I should tell you I have mine to alert me to update and then I go do it manually. It puts a little gift box in the icon tray. You click on it and then load up the definition update.

Hope this helps. Check out their manual I think it has some pictures and is not badly written like some. ;)

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  16. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Thanks once again, I am dl'ing manual now.

17. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Two points to watch out for with CSAV;

In the past

1. The trial version could not be updated, but you could obtain a free "temporary" username/password to allow this.

2. The $19.95 purchase price from the main Authentium site did not include support. You then had to pay extra for this.

I do not know whether these restrictions still apply.

A very underrated AV; stable, relatively small memory footprint and IME, has virtually no effect on system performance. Lightning fast on-demand scanner and a large signature database.

18. waters

waters Registered Member

Hi.
    Can f protect for dos free,be used with win xp.
    thanks

19. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I tested out command AV last week I think and I found it to be a very good AV, as stated before with little resource usage and a fast scanner. The ONLY thing that bothered me was the reporting options, for some reason I could only get it to keep a log file of 82kb or so and that was a little annoying when running it against some samples, so I had to break the OD testing down to each seperate folder in order to get a good log file from it. Other than that it was nice. If interested look in my sig.

20. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Looks like e-mail support is available at no charge, but phone support is pricey.

I did already check your link likuidkewl, it is the reason I started looking more into it.

Regards

21. Cap'n Kirk

Cap'n Kirk Registered Member

I recently purchased Command and have been using it for about a month. It is very stable but is not very "configurable". I also found that on my system at least, CAV uses twice as much ram as the latest F-Prot AV which I had trialed just prior to getting CAV. F-Prot used on avg 10-12mb of ram versus 22-25mb for CAV. Other than that, CAV has not caused any slow downs at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.