LimeWire PRO is NOT ADWARE!!!

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by spy1, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

And if your program is describing it as such, it's a FALSE POSITIVE.

Try doing an actual inspection of the program itself instead of a knee-jerk classification of "adware" for it, would you? Pete

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

And come to think of it, your free scan ( http://download.acronis.com/SpywareChecker_en.exe ) identifies three elements of LimewirePro as spyware .

What are you guys smoking there?

Are mis-indentifications of legitimate P2P programs as "adware" and "spyware" just a part of your efforts to sell your program? A "scare tactic" to get people to buy it?

Because if so, your marketing strategy sucks . Pete

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  3. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

See my remarks/experiences with Acronis Privacy Expert here

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello spy1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Internet Privacy and Antispyware Software.

I have contacted our Development Team and they say that "gnutella" is adware and should be deleted. However, you may uncheck the appropriate box if you do not want to delete this entry.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. anty em

anty em Guest

c'mon, tell us what you REALLY think ;-)

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Ilya - Then your "Development Team" needs to get a little deeper into the issue.

LimeWire Pro is part of the Gnutella network - it is not the Gnutella client (or program).

The registry entries being found and alarmed on are due to that fact, and your "Development Team" needs to learn how to differentiate between the two conditions (someone using the Gnutella client or someone whose client simply is part of the Gnutella network.

I submit that your "Development Team"'s finding of LimeWire (either version) being "adware" is based upon earlier version's of the program - not the current ones.

And that now that you've been fully informed of the mistake in its' current detection as both "adware" AND "SPYWARE" that you'll have your "Development Team" fix the problem.

Because if you don't then you're leaving yourself both legally actionable and in the position of being totally non-responsive to the facts involved.

Simple common sense should tell you that if you're non-responsive to facts involving false-positives by your program, then your program can only be viewed as a joke.

I can make it a point to let everyone know how poor your product is, if that's the case. Pete

7. "legally actionable" o_O LOL

I submit that your demeanor in this thread comes is intimidating and threatening.

Try some honey.. it works better than vinegar ;-)

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

My "demeanor", as you put it, is coldly and clinically factual - nothing more, nothing less.

If the actual "spyware" vendors can send out "Cease & Desist" notices from their lawyers against legitimate anti-spyware vendors that detect their programs, I certainly see no reason why a legitimate non-spyware program vendor couldn't - or even shouldn't - do the same thing. (I would).

There is simply no excuse for LimeWire to be tagged as adware or spyware by this (or any other) program - because it's not. Period. Pete

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Ilya,

One mistake is acceptable, but too many false positives not.

I have tested Privacy Expert on 3 different PC's, but there are so many false positives that I can absolute not recommend the program.

I guess Your "Development Team" has a lot on their to-do-list....:rolleyes:

10. dog

dog Guest

I'll throw my two cents in regarding the LimeWire Detection ... although I've never tested Privacy Expert, I think I can add a valid point none the less.

I think a small change in the term used would probably be the most appropriate thing - X the spyware label and just label it "riskware" as all P2P clients should be. :) Because in all reality I don't think the average user understands the risk of file sharing, or what the best practise is regarding checking all received files etc.. Labelling it riskware should give them cause for thought, and not offend users aware of the potential risks.

Truly I think changing the term used serves everyone better, rather than removing detection.

Steve

11. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Very good point of view!:)

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

I have forwarded the details of this discussion to our Development Team and they examined the problem thoroughly. They admitted that "gnutella" should be found by Acronis Privacy Expert Suite and this problem will be fixed soon. However, magnet is spyware and it should be found and deleted.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

13. dscrap

dscrap Registered Member

Re: Image Restore Taking Forever (18 hours so far)

In PE 8.0.0.748 change the view to classic and then right click on the spyware icon and select properties. Follow the prompts and select change advanced options when you get to it... Expand the Adware section and uncheck limewire. This will stop it from being detected. See the screen shot below.

There is also a new build out, PE 8.0.0.789. There was a problem with 788 and unlocking the spyware settings or something. Hopefully it is fixed in 789, I haven't installed the update yet to test.

PE 8.0.0.788 Problem thread

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1608/pic00015yz.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.